Barry Davis - all class!

It was interval at the Astor theatre where Tiffany and I had been joined by Grant for the Sandra Bullock retrospective. We had just finished watching Miss Congeniality, my third favourite film of all time. Tiffany had gone to get the choc tops so that she could sashay about in her “little black number” like the one Audrey Hepburn made famous in Breakfast At Tiffany’s that displayed a cleavage that would have dismayed Sandra and Audrey.

I had met Grant at training years ago – neither handsome nor repulsive but nearing seventy with all his own teeth and a thatch of white hair, but this evening without the adornment of his dangling field glasses that were the hallmark of his training attire.

Tiffany arrived with the choc tops (always vanilla) and I reached into my pocket for the little bag of chillies that we proceeded to insert into the top of the cones. The Nova has chilli choc tops – the Astor doesn’t, but the Nova is cramped and full of latte poseurs so we make our own at the lovely Astor.

Initially the talk turned to smiles – Audrey Hepburn had the most beautiful smile of the Twentieth Century with huge brown eyes and exciting caterpillar eyebrows. Sandra has the most beautiful smile of any living actress in this century that just makes you want to hug her. I ventured that the best Australian smile belonged to Tamara Oudyn who reads the ABC News and like many others I turn on for the last five minutes of the news to get her smile at the end. A group of her fans have taped her smile at the end of each bulletin and have over three hours of smiles. (Actually the last five minutes of the news sometimes features weather girl Jane Bun who turning sideways has been known to obliterate Sydney or Orbost but that’s another story.)

Naturally talk of Audrey, Sandra and Tamara led to the word “class” and it was agreed that all three were “classy” women. Strong, independent, warm and intelligent and one need look no further than Sandy divorcing Jesse James after his affair with a female tattoo artist to see this. This then led as it so often does to the topic of football and who in Essendon’s history had been a “classy” coach. ■■■■ Reynolds “Gentleman ■■■■” immediately sprang to mind but then Grant said:

“Barry Davis. I went to school at Essendon High when he was Head Prefect and was brought onto the stage at Assembly to congratulate him on selection for his first game in 1961.”

“What was he like? asked Tiffany.

“He was a fabulous footballer with a huge drop kick. I remember when they played end to end in the school yard I wasn’t good enough to get a kick but I would stand out in McCracken St. and when Davis got the ball he often kicked it over the fence into the street which was my opportunity to get the ball.”

“Tell us his stats” I asked and Grant obliged from memory.

Played on the half back flank but often kicked goals. 218 games, Crichton medal three times, captain 1970-71. Premierships in 1962 & 1965, and Team of the Century for both Essendon and North Melbourne where he went with the introduction of the “Ten Year Rule”. In fact he won the North Melbourne B & F as a ruck rover and captained them to their first premiership.

Tiffany smiled and licked her choc top.

“But you said he was a classy coach and I know he didn’t win a flag.”

“Just so” said Grant. “He coached from 1978 – 1980 and he was unsuccessful. I remember in 1978 that Jack Mihocek who was a really tough if somewhat rudimentary player walked out when Davis wouldn’t play him stating to the press “My body was covered with bruises.” from his herculean efforts in the two’s which were ignored. Barry was more for the “thinking type” of player. In Napier St directly across from Windy Hill there was a milk bar. I used to go in there for a milk shake after training as did some of the players in those days. I remember three players discussing a dud we got from Hawthorn called Kelvin Steele and one of them said “Steele gets games because he asks questions in meetings.”

“So where is the classy bit’, I asked, “I mean I can see he was a great player but what was classy about his time as coach”

Well he was innovative – actually the first coach to use witches hats at training which was ridiculed at the time but par for the course today. However what got the fans” backs up was his insistence on handball. Handball, handball, handball. He wanted a play on type of game which again was ahead of its time and not executed properly. His own fans who revered him as a player booed him towards the end of his career.”

“O.k.” said Tiff, choc top momentarily forgotten, but Classy? How?”

“In his third and final season he told the players that if they didn’t make the four and play finals (the equivalent of finishing in the top six in today’s eighteen team competition) he would resign as coach and he did just that.” Said Grant.

I realised what he was driving at. “So he publicly put his job on the line, told his players that if he wasn’t good enough as coach he wouldn’t blame them, or their youth or anyone else. He would take the blame and for the good of the club resign.”

“That’s right” said Grant. “He was an absolute champion of the club, loved as a player but like many great players crap as a coach. His record was w30 L36 D1. Classy enough to put his job publicly on the line and resign for the good of club being classy enough to admit he wasn’t up to it and not to hang on for the money or his ego.”

“That’s real class” said Tiff. “ Sheedy replaced him and the club had one of it’s most successful eras. Can we learn anything from this Jackie?”

“The future’s not what it used to be” I replied.

The bell rang for us to go back in for “Blind Side.” Grant smiled knowingly. Tiffany squeezed my arm. “I love it when you’re enigmatic Jackie.”

Sweet.

Barry Davis - Bluey Shelton - Alec Epis under then coach John Coleman (how could you forget him when talking about class?) introduced the concept of the attacking half back line.

You could say they were 50 years ahead of their time.

My earliest memory of Barry Davis is of him and Epis dressed in towels, being interviewed on TV in glorious black and white, in the showers under the MCG after the 1962 GF win. l had the honour of meeting and playing against Barry Davis and Ken Fletcher one Easter in Kyabram. A group of us used to go up there every year to play tennis. The two of them were a formidable doubles combination. That would have been around 1982. l talked with him after our game, they won, but l forget the score. He and l both had many of the same thoughts about our list at that time, that we had sufficient talent for sustained success, but we were both concerned that Sheedy wasn’t getting the right results from them. Does that sound familiar to anyone else we know?

Davis was a self taught player and good enough to get himself up to B grade pennant, this was after his illustrious football career. Who knows how good he could have been had he taken up that sport instead of football. l am glad he didn’t as it would have been Essendon’s profound loss. He was my second favorite player in the 1960s. He also suffered some horrendous injuries, much like Mark Harvey would do years later, he was as brave a ball player as they come, tough but also fair, l don’t believe he was ever reported / suspended. His drop kicks were a thing of beauty and he would regularly kick them 70 mt. He was often a finalist on the World of Sport kicking segment.

Then Essendon recruited Des Tuddenham, as playing captain - coach. It was bad enough they recruited someone from Collingwood, but they snubbed Davis for the captaincy at the same time. Davis had been a loyal clubman up to that time and was rightly considered to be the next in line for the captaincy after Fraser. Instead, we lost him to North who also poached Doug Wade and Stan Alves under the 10 year (first trial of a free agency) rule. History records that Davis moved himself from being a brilliant and attacking half back flank, into a ruck roving role where he excelled, and was judged by many to be best on ground in North’s first ever flag. While North won 2 flags and spent many years as a contender and played multiple finals, Essendon drifted into a wasteland worthy of anything imagined by T.S. Eliot. The 1970’s was one of the darkest eras in the club’s entire history, had the club decided to stick by Davis, instead of import tough guy Tuddenham no one knows how things might have turned out. Stargazer 5 mentioned once that she was always disappointed in the way Davis walked out on the club. Like the story above points out, he valued and maintained his integrity and honour, a pity the club didn’t value them as highly as he did, otherwise he would have stayed. l consider him part of Essendon royalty, and chose him on a HBF in my greatest Essendon team of all time, opposite Neale Daniher. He will forever be a champion in my eyes.

Thanks Jackie and say hello to Tiff for me.
Cheers from China, CJ.

2 Likes

Me thinks Jackie may be suffering from MPD!!! :slight_smile:

It was interval at the Astor theatre where Tiffany and I had been joined by Grant for the Sandra Bullock retrospective. We had just finished watching Miss Congeniality, my third favourite film of all time. Tiffany had gone to get the choc tops so that she could sashay about in her “little black number” like the one Audrey Hepburn made famous in Breakfast At Tiffany’s that displayed a cleavage that would have dismayed Sandra and Audrey.

I had met Grant at training years ago – neither handsome nor repulsive but nearing seventy with all his own teeth and a thatch of white hair, but this evening without the adornment of his dangling field glasses that were the hallmark of his training attire.

Tiffany arrived with the choc tops (always vanilla) and I reached into my pocket for the little bag of chillies that we proceeded to insert into the top of the cones. The Nova has chilli choc tops – the Astor doesn’t, but the Nova is cramped and full of latte poseurs so we make out own at the lovely Astor.

Initially the talk turned to smiles – Audrey Hepburn had the most beautiful smile of the Twentieth Century with huge brown eyes and exciting caterpillar eyebrows. Sandra has the most beautiful smile of any living actress in this century that just makes you want to hug her. I ventured that the best Australian smile belonged to Tamara Oudyn who reads the ABC News and like many others I turn on for the last five minutes of the news to get her smile at the end. A group of her fans have taped her smile at the end of each bulletin and have over three hours of smiles. (Actually the last five minutes of the news sometimes features weather girl Jane Bun who turning sideways has been known to obliterate Sydney or Orbost but that’s another story.)

Naturally talk of Audrey, Sandra and Tamara led to the word “class” and it was agreed that all three were “classy” women. Strong, independent, warm and intelligent and one need look no further than Sandy divorcing Jesse James after his affair with a female tattoo artist to see this. This then led as it so often does to the topic of football and who in Essendon’s history had been a “classy” coach. ■■■■ Reynolds “Gentleman ■■■■” immediately sprang to mind but then Grant said:

“Barry Davis. I went to school at Essendon High when he was Head Prefect and was brought onto the stage at Assembly to congratulate him on selection for his first game in 1961.”

“What was he like? asked Tiffany.

“He was a fabulous footballer with a huge drop kick. I remember when they played end to end in the school yard I wasn’t good enough to get a kick but I would stand out in McCracken St. and when Davis got the ball he often kicked it over the fence into the street which was my opportunity to get the ball.”

“Tell us his stats” I asked and Grant obliged from memory.

Played on the half back flank but often kicked goals. 218 games, Crichton medal three times, captain 1970-71. Premierships in 1962 & 1965, and Team of the Century for both Essendon and North Melbourne where he went with the introduction of the “Ten Year Rule”. In fact he won the North Melbourne B & F as a ruck rover and captained them to their first premiership.

Tiffany smiled and licked her choc top.

“But you said he was a classy coach and I know he didn’t win a flag.”

“Just so” said Grant. “He coached from 1978 – 1980 and he was unsuccessful. I remember in 1978 that Jack Mihocek who was a really tough if somewhat rudimentary player walked out when Davis wouldn’t play him stating to the press “My body was covered with bruises.” from his herculean efforts in the two’s which were ignored. Barry was more for the “thinking type” of player. In Napier St directly across from Windy Hill there was a milk bar. I used to go in there for a milk shake after training as did some of the players in those days. I remember three players discussing a dud we got from Hawthorn called Kelvin Steele and one of them said “Steele gets games because he asks questions in meetings.”

“So where is the classy bit’, I asked, “I mean I can see he was a great player but what was classy about his time as coach”

Well he was innovative – actually the first coach to use witches hats at training which was ridiculed at the time but par for the course today. However what got the fans” backs up was his insistence on handball. Handball, handball, handball. He wanted a play on type of game which again was ahead of its time and not executed properly. His own fans who revered him as a player booed him towards the end of his career.”

“O.k.” said Tiff, choc top momentarily forgotten, but Classy? How?”

“In his third and final season he told the players that if they didn’t make the four and play finals (the equivalent of finishing in the top six in today’s eighteen team competition) he would resign as coach and he did just that.” Said Grant.

I realised what he was driving at. “So he publicly put his job on the line, told his players that if he wasn’t good enough as coach he wouldn’t blame them, or their youth or anyone else. He would take the blame and for the good of the club resign.”

“That’s right” said Grant. “He was an absolute champion of the club, loved as a player but like many great players crap as a coach. His record was w30 L36 D1. Classy enough to put his job publicly on the line and resign for the good of club being classy enough to admit he wasn’t up to it and not to hang on for the money or his ego.”

“That’s real class” said Tiff. “ Sheedy replaced him and the club had one of it’s most successful eras. Can we learn anything from this Jackie?”

“The future’s not what it used to be” I replied.

The bell rang for us to go back in for “Blind Side.” Grant smiled knowingly. Tiffany squeezed my arm. “I love it when you’re enigmatic Jackie.”

PS! Hirdy said to say hello!

My earliest memory of Barry Davis is of him and Epis dressed in towels, being interviewed on TV in glorious black and white, in the showers under the MCG after the 1962 GF win. l had the honour of meeting and playing against Barry Davis and Ken Fletcher one Easter in Kyabram. A group of us used to go up there every year to play tennis. The two of them were a formidable doubles combination. that would have been around 1982. l talked with him after our game, they won, but l forget the score. He and l both had many of the same thoughts about our list at that time, that we had sufficient talent for sustained success, but we were both concerned that Sheedy wasn't getting the right results from them. Does that sound familiar to anyone else we know?

Davis was a self taught player and good enough to get himself up to B grade pennant, this was after his illustrious football career. Who knows how good he could have been had he taken up that sport instead of football. l am glad he didn’t as it would have been Essendon’s profound loss. He was my second favorite player in the 1960s. He also suffered some horrendous injuries, much like Mark Harvey would do years later, he was as brave a ball player as they come, tough but also fair, l don’t believe he was ever reported / suspended. His drop kicks were a thing of beauty and he would regularly kick them 70 mt. He was often a finalist on the World of Sport kicking segment.

Then Essendon recruited Des Tuddenham, as playing captain - coach. It was bad enough they recruited someone from Collingwood, but they snubbed Davis for the captaincy at the same time. Davis had been a loyal clubman up to that time and was rightly considered to be the next in line for the captaincy after Fraser. Instead, we lost him to North who also poached Doug Wade and Stan Alves under the 10 year (first trial of a free agency) rule. History records that Davis moved himself from being a brilliant and attacking half back flank, into a ruck roving role where he excelled, and was judged by many to be best on ground in North’s first ever flag. While North won 2 flags and spent many years as a contender and played multiple finals, Essendon drifted into a wasteland worthy of anything imagined by T.S. Eliot. The 1970’s was one of the darkest eras in the club’s entire history, had the club decided to stick by Davis, instead of import tough guy Tuddenham no one knows how things might have turned out. Stargazer 5 mentioned once that she was always disappointed in the way Davis walked out on the club. Like the story above points out, he valued and maintained his integrity and honour, a pity the club didn’t value them as highly as he did, otherwise he would have stayed. l consider him part of Essendon royalty, and chose him on a HBF in my greatest Essendon team of all time, opposite Neale Daniher. He will forever be a champion in my eyes.

Cheers from China, CJ.

I think you're revising history a bit. When Tuddenham came on the scene EFC were already in the wasteland under Clarke and Birt. Tuddenham came along and instilled a bit of fire and brimstone into a soft list and the results were immediate. As a young kid I can clearly remember, such was the impression he made, some of Tuddenham's delivery in the rooms at Windy Hill and he certainly got that list playing above themselves. That period was one where captain coaches were still employed to get quick delivery of messages to their players out on the ground. His message wore off after a couple of years and combined with a few issues off the field he went back to the filth. In many respects Tuddenham made EFC realize it could go outside Windy Hill to improve its footy department. Enter Bill Stephen and Kevin Sheedy.

Did Barry Davis ever play in the reserves?
He started when he was very young but like Fletcher, I don’t remember him playing in the 2nd’s, even when he first started.

I would like more detail of Tiffs thoughts on Tippa

My earliest memory of Barry Davis is of him and Epis dressed in towels, being interviewed on TV in glorious black and white, in the showers under the MCG after the 1962 GF win. l had the honour of meeting and playing against Barry Davis and Ken Fletcher one Easter in Kyabram. A group of us used to go up there every year to play tennis. The two of them were a formidable doubles combination. that would have been around 1982. l talked with him after our game, they won, but l forget the score. He and l both had many of the same thoughts about our list at that time, that we had sufficient talent for sustained success, but we were both concerned that Sheedy wasn't getting the right results from them. Does that sound familiar to anyone else we know?

Cheers from China, CJ.

I think you're revising history a bit. When Tuddenham came on the scene EFC were already in the wasteland under Clarke and Birt. Tuddenham came along and instilled a bit of fire and brimstone into a soft list and the results were immediate. As a young kid I can clearly remember, such was the impression he made, some of Tuddenham's delivery in the rooms at Windy Hill and he certainly got that list playing above themselves. That period was one where captain coaches were still employed to get quick delivery of messages to their players out on the ground. His message wore off after a couple of years and combined with a few issues off the field he went back to the filth. In many respects Tuddenham made EFC realize it could go outside Windy Hill to improve its footy department. Enter Bill Stephen and Kevin Sheedy.

Don’t get me wrong. l wasn’t against getting a coach form outside the club, but l was against us losing Davis. Davis was a better player than Tuddenham ever was. Just who else was available as a coach in those days l can’t recall, but someone in a non playing role would have allowed us to hang on to a champion of Essendon.

So is this thread really about what Jackie thinks Hirdy should do next year?

I guess it’s about one of the club’s greatest and best loved players who realized he wasn’t as good a coach as he was a captain or a player.

It’s about a man who part way through a poor third year as a coach publicly challenged his players and said if we don’t make the finals I will quit.

It’s about a man who put the club ahead of his own personal pride, ambition or money.

Davis was a great man and history is interesting to study - especially for those younger blitzers who aren’t aware of his story.

As Tiffany said “I love it when Jackie’s enigmatic.”

Cheers from China, CJ.

Don’t get me wrong. l wasn’t against getting a coach form outside the club, but l was against us losing Davis. Davis was a better player than Tuddenham ever was. Just who else was available as a coach in those days l can’t recall, but someone in a non playing role would have allowed us to hang on to a champion of Essendon.

I used to admire the footy card of Barry Davis in full flight launching a drop kick, I can’t recall any other photo that got close to Davis with both legs parallel to the ground after he kicked the ball. Amazing exponent. As for other coaches, I think at that time you had Jeans, Farmer, the Roses doing the rounds so Tuddenham may have held his own in that regard. Davis going was a big loss to the club but as it turns out he probably came back to the club better equipped to coach. I’m sure his time under Barassi and playing with a few other greats at North was positive from a coaching perspective. As we know, Bill Stephen and Davis laid the foundations for Sheedy and the young Bombers in the 80’s.

Dementia sounds like fun.

Dementia sounds like fun.
For some, there never was the Sorry Saga.

Tamara Oudyn and Jane Bunn, hubba hubba!

I would like more detail of Tiffs thoughts on Tippa

Tiffany calls him “The Tiwi Prince” and thinks he is greatly improved and should be taken with a late draft pick.

Thanks jm,cj et al, great read. I can barely remember him playing for us but I do remember watching him for norf where he was an absolute gun.

Pfft. Pamela Medlen, FTW.

Barry Davis was my PE teacher at High School.

never forgave him for leaving the Bombers for a bag of money.