Ben Cousins Goes Ape (again)

I swear every genius government initiated idea I see on facebook comes from the Dutch.
Very tempting to move there

I swear every genius government initiated idea I see on facebook comes from the Dutch. Very tempting to move there

There’s only two things in this world I can’t stand.

• People who are intolerant of other people’s cultures, and
  • The Dutch.
Good points made. We're seemingly getting a bit better and not jailing people purely for possession. I think society is learning that not all addicts are necessarily scum. If they physically don't harm anyone else but themselves, then they should have free will to inject whatever they ■■■■■■ like. However, it's not as though decriminilisation will lead to "free" drugs, they will still have to financially support their habit. Chances are they will still do this via burglaries, armed robberies etc. I don't see how we'll ever stop this. It's not something where a perfect solution will ever be found.

The govt. could have clinics where the users are registered and are helped with their addiction. The govt. would need to supply all drugs (will never happen) with a view to weaning the addicts of their addiction. This should (1) minimize the need for crime to support the addicts’ habit and stop the dealers, manufacturers etc profiting from illegal drugs. Would be (2) costly to the government but if run well and if successful there would be less need for these clinics and therefore reduce costs as hopefully the number of addicts are reduced. So much more can be said but essentially the government need to invest on a different and radical approach to eradicate the use of illegal drugs.

• (1) Almost eliminate it completely I think.

• (2) Not overly costly, the drugs will be good quality and very cheap. The current illegality of them pushes up their cost enormously.

Awesome post.

Not sure how reducing the cost and improving the quality and availability of drugs is going to reduce the number of those dependent on drugs.

Reducing the number of people using a substance would only be one aim. Recognising that there are a lot of people who prefer other things to alcohol, and allowing them access to a regulated, safe, and reasonably priced supply, just like alcohol and tobacco users have, and thereby allowing them to become productive members of society would probably be top of the tree for me.

In hindsight does anyone believe a regulated supply of alcohol & tobacco has been a positive move for society? Not sure why simply adding extra choices to that mix is going to make it better. The other issue I see with a gvt supplying drugs in particular drugs that can completely ruin your mental & physical health is liability. We have seen decades of lawsuits against tobacco companies for legally selling a toxic product so why would any Gvt see that role as part of their responsibility?

Good points made. We're seemingly getting a bit better and not jailing people purely for possession. I think society is learning that not all addicts are necessarily scum. If they physically don't harm anyone else but themselves, then they should have free will to inject whatever they ■■■■■■ like. However, it's not as though decriminilisation will lead to "free" drugs, they will still have to financially support their habit. Chances are they will still do this via burglaries, armed robberies etc. I don't see how we'll ever stop this. It's not something where a perfect solution will ever be found.

The govt. could have clinics where the users are registered and are helped with their addiction. The govt. would need to supply all drugs (will never happen) with a view to weaning the addicts of their addiction. This should (1) minimize the need for crime to support the addicts’ habit and stop the dealers, manufacturers etc profiting from illegal drugs. Would be (2) costly to the government but if run well and if successful there would be less need for these clinics and therefore reduce costs as hopefully the number of addicts are reduced. So much more can be said but essentially the government need to invest on a different and radical approach to eradicate the use of illegal drugs.

• (2) Not overly costly, the drugs will be good quality and very cheap. The current illegality of them pushes up their cost enormously.

Awesome post.

Not sure how reducing the cost and improving the quality and availability of drugs is going to reduce the number of those dependent on drugs.

Reducing the number of people using a substance would only be one aim. Recognising that there are a lot of people who prefer other things to alcohol, and allowing them access to a regulated, safe, and reasonably priced supply, just like alcohol and tobacco users have, and thereby allowing them to become productive members of society would probably be top of the tree for me.

In hindsight does anyone believe a regulated supply of alcohol & tobacco has been a positive move for society? Not sure why simply adding extra choices to that mix is going to make it better. The other issue I see with a gvt supplying drugs in particular drugs that can completely ruin your mental & physical health is liability. We have seen decades of lawsuits against tobacco companies for legally selling a toxic product so why would any Gvt see that role as part of their responsibility?

Cash and plenty of it all going into Government coffers, rather than most of being part of the black market economy.

Awesome post.

Cash and plenty of it all going into Government coffers, rather than most of being part of the black market economy.

I just don’t see former bastions of the black economy re-entering the tax-paying fold and having to explain their assets.

Awesome post.

Are you saying that if the government allows people to take drugs in a controlled environment that these same people can sue the government if they develop negative side effects? If so, that is certainly something I’ve never considered.

Awesome post.

Are you saying that if the government allows people to take drugs in a controlled environment that these same people can sue the government if they develop negative side effects? If so, that is certainly something I’ve never considered.

Certainly hasn’t been the case so far. And alcohol has done some major league damage. He’s just straw clutching.

Awesome post.

I just don't see former bastions of the black economy re-entering the tax-paying fold and having to explain their assets.
I'm talking about the Government legalizing and selling over the counter. This way supply and quality can be guaranteed. Also the prices can be altered to suit the territory putting competition out of business. Could be the beginning of another drug war. Joke!!!

Just get him off the drugs and the crimes will stop.

Ah finally, a simple solution that no-one else had considered yet.

Stop the drugs from being distributed and brought into the country.

Is that you Mick Keelty :wink:

Kill all bad people forever

Is that you, Rodrigo Duerte?

Hmmm, … are you saying like, … there should be some sort of “War” on Drugs??

That just might work …

Just restrict him to drinking that drug alcohol, and maybe smoke that drug nicotine, he can do it legally and the government can get their fair share of the revenue. Problem solved.

Just restrict him to drinking that drug alcohol, and maybe smoke that drug nicotine, he can do it legally and the government can get their fair share of the revenue. Problem solved.

No crimes involved in tobacco, apart from the people getting in for their chop.

Ever wonder why servos get held up for smokes or ram raided

But aren’t we better off to have people out there consuming all the drugs so that I don’t have to?

Read today in The Sun, Ben’s Psychiatrist can have him committed to a lock up, if he sees fit.

What I want to know is, exactly what other laws does Ben have to break before he is eligible?