Ben Cousins Goes Ape (again)

waste of a life

waste of a life

Yes and no.

Had massive football ability and itā€™s fair to say that he was able to get everything out of himself in a sporting sense. Plenty of similar ability would love to have had the playing career he did. But itā€™s incredibly sad to see what is happening to him now. Itā€™s entirely possible that not having the sporting outlet left to focus his energies on is a contributing factor.

His life isnā€™t over yet, either. I donā€™t respect drug use but do hope he is able to find adequate help and get himself back to some sort of normality.

This is just so incredibly sad.

Is it? The guy has had how many chances now? Emotional fatigue kicked in a long time ago.

How many chances? Heā€™s not a crim. Heā€™s sick.

Nobody would give a crap if his name wasnā€™t Ben Cousins. Heā€™s had plenty of chances and plenty of opportunities to turn it around. I know this isnā€™t a popular view, but he needs to be just let go or locked up somewhere as he is out of control(as most people on what he is on are). Time to focus on educating the younger generation and make him an example while using the same time and money to help other people that want to get better unlike him, who is too far gone. And also using the time to find out where he is getting his supply from. Stop the roots, the fruit is too rotten to be salvaged.

Is it? The guy has had how many chances now? Emotional fatigue kicked in a long time ago.

There is a difference between family/friends and the general public and the care factor.

General public might be concerned enough to say, ā€œhe needs helpā€ but that care factor dives down the longer a person keeps going back to rehab, falling, going to rehab, falling, going to rehab, fallingā€¦

Family/friends will generally keep going forever, although fatigue does set in for some. They will still care but they no longer have enough energy to keep trying to get involved - and thatā€™s not harsh on them, when you have been in that situation you understand the energy drain it can be.

The simple reality is, until Ben himself really wants to change nothing is going to change, and the worse it gets the harder it gets for him to change. Nothing is impossible but it gets harder and harder.

So thinking that the general public should care more or give him more chances due to him being sick is not really a feasible situation, most donā€™t know Ben other than seeing him as a footballer then a drug addict. They can care a little, some will care more, and most would love to see him get well but the care factor is going to fall away fairly quickly as it is all far removed from their sphere of influence.

thats too much ice.

thats too much ice.

Ohā€¦ dear. .

faceslap.gif

The question is was it deliberate.
And the answer is Iā€™m an idiot.

A lot of people will disagree, but i feel bad/sorry for anyone who is addicted to ice or any sort of drug. Almost an impossible addiction to break.

I hope he gets the help he needs.

A lot of people will disagree, but i feel bad/sorry for anyone who is addicted to ice or any sort of drug. Almost an impossible addiction to break.

Nobody, taking a drug for the first time, has an end goal of becoming an addict.

But if you choose to go down that road, you alone are responsible for the outcome. Not your job, not your family, not your life situation, not anything else.

I feel sad for Ben, but I have zero sympathy for him. This situation is his doing.

Nobody, taking a drug for the first time, has an end goal of becoming an addict.

But if you choose to go down that road, you alone are responsible for the outcome. Not your job, not your family, not your life situation, not anything else.

I feel sad for Ben, but I have zero sympathy for him. This situation is his doing.

Hate to say it, but youā€™re completely wrong on this one brem ā€¦ at least in the main.

IME, people get addicted to a drug when the drug is better than real life, or very real psychological scars & pain, is relieved by them, when nothing else will provide it.

Most who come from a privileged background, lead a life that provides plenty of activity, positivity, joy, & often a virtually guaranteed happy future, & they will try drugs, but turn away from them, because they find they detract from that joy, whereas others have the opposite as their reality, & prefer to escape it, ā€¦ to stay numb, and /or oblivious to it.

And the most addictive drugs like Ice & Heroin, are so addictive, because they achieve that aim better than any other.

(BTW, Iā€™m not sure on Benā€™s circumstances, or if he might be an outlier, - eg: from a stable wealthy/middle class background, afforded every opportunity ā€¦ which do occur, - but the vast majority are not of that ilk.)

Way off. Though Iā€™m happy for you that you find comfort in the idea.

The problem is that when a person does something great, we tend to celebrate the individual without recognising the greater culture and how it made that success possible; and itā€™s exactly the same when we denigrate someone for opposite extreme. The irony is, there is rarely any consideration of the actual and particular context of the actual individual life and its relationship to the actual culture. Thatā€™s where the sympathy and possible empathy goes missing. Itā€™s just too easy to say - if you canā€™t do this you arenā€™t worth it. If you arenā€™t a rock star, you werenā€™t blessed. If you should have been one, you must have thrown it away: do you think a guy who had the opportunities Ben Cousins had, and the success he had, and the money he had, and the family he has, would reasonably weigh it all up and decide to end up deliriously directing traffic and running away from cops? Anyway, letā€™s lionise dead rockstars and the hard and fast lifestyle they live - but other guys can get fuct and get over themselves.

(Iā€™ve probably made my point badly, but there is a lot of hypocrisy involved in these situations.)

I honestly canā€™t imagine a more privelaged life.
Parents. Check.
Pinnacle of his career both individually and as a team. Check.
Wife. Check.
Kids. Check.
Financial security. Check.

Iā€™m not even judging him.
Iā€™m judging the people here who said, leave him alone, heā€™ll be fine.
Well, heā€™s not farking fine.
Have you changed your opinion?
I farking doubt it.

While most see his unfolding decline as sad and unsettling, you see it as an opportunity to sneer at those who gave him the benefit of the doubt. Youā€™re a class act.

Agree entirely. Iā€™m not saying he should be locked up. He needs help.

But he also seems entirely uninterested in help. As Wim pointed out, he couldnā€™t ask for a better support network.

But he doesnā€™t seem to care. So why should I?

No, Ben may or may not be a criminalā€¦
but he had/has some very very dodgy friends.John Kizon to name one. All drug related criminals.
There is a lot lot more questions

Takes a special type of jerk to pour scorn on someone who is clearly suffering from a mental illness.

Agree entirely. Iā€™m not saying he should be locked up. He needs help.

But he also seems entirely uninterested in help. As Wim pointed out, he couldnā€™t ask for a better support network.

But he doesnā€™t seem to care. So why should I?

Thereā€™s so many factors to drug addiction that to make a call on how many chances you give someone is simplifying it a bit. Support network or not. But I get where you are coming from.
heā€™s crook and heā€™s not getting better.
which is pretty sad.

Can they just keep him in prison?

I actually fear more for Cousinā€™s children - Mum is hardly leading a life of sobriety.