Ben Cousins Goes Ape (again)

he clearly has psychosis which is a mental illness, drug induced or not.

Clearly?
I work with people who make the distinction between (their term) mad and bad all the time.
Some people really are just arseholes.

i thought - and correct me if i’m wrong (im no expert) that a break with reality is considered psychosis…Going from what has been reported it sounds to be the case.

I feel sorry for the guy on a human level. Regardless of hes somewhat priviledged upbringing or talents.

all ice addicts are equal once they are in this state.

Its too easy to make one bad decision and combine it with the wrong genetics/circumstances and you end up with a life sentance.
Especially when you are young and cant comprehend the consequences.

Not making excuses for the guy. Clearly he holds the ultimate responsibilty for where he finds himself.

Just an all round ■■■■ situation for everyone involved.

This thread is quite enlightening.

I am particularly interested in the people who are trying to make the argument that “it’s all his own fault, so fark him”. This argument seems to be taking many forms, including:

• he has a good family;
  • he had a good job where he was paid very good money;
  • he chose to take the drug in the first instance, therefore he should own the consquences of being a incurable drug addict for life;
  • maybe he’s just an ■■■■■■■.

Are these arguments that can be made? At a stretch, yes.

Personally I wouldn’t be making them though, because I’m not an reactionary jerk who enjoys judging people from a distance, let alone a man who’s life is in crisis due to an addiction that he clearly can’t control.

But hey, I’m just an old softie like that I guess.

he clearly has psychosis which is a mental illness, drug induced or not.

Clearly?
I work with people who make the distinction between (their term) mad and bad all the time.
Some people really are just arseholes.

i thought - and correct me if i’m wrong (im no expert) that a break with reality is considered psychosis…Going from what has been reported it sounds to be the case.

I feel sorry for the guy on a human level. Regardless of hes somewhat priviledged upbringing or talents.

all ice addicts are equal once they are in this state.

Its too easy to make one bad decision and combine it with the wrong genetics/circumstances and you end up with a life sentance.
Especially when you are young and cant comprehend the consequences.

Not making excuses for the guy. Clearly he holds the ultimate responsibilty for where he finds himself.

Just an all round ■■■■ situation for everyone involved.

I guess you’d have to talk the mental health experts.
Do you make a distinction between someone who ‘needs’ to take ice and someone who merely wants to?
But I pretty much agree with everything you’ve said there.
And, again, my real scorn is for people who have been saying for a decade that he’s just living his life, has it all under control and it was nobody else’s business, more than Cousins himself.

This is just so incredibly sad.

Is it? The guy has had how many chances now? Emotional fatigue kicked in a long time ago.

How many chances? He’s not a crim. He’s sick.

Actually he’s both.

what, impersonating a traffic cop or window washer?
im not making any point about past convictions. they are completely irrelevant to the fact he needs help based on his current mental state. not for something shady he did with john kirzon after watching too many episodes of underbelly and the club.

Friend of mine developed drug-induced psychosis. It would be overly simplistic to simply label Cousins as just ‘doing what all good drug addicts do’.

You have less agency in your actions.

Don’t do drugs, kids.

mmmmmkkkkkayyy

Yep. In police custody for drug possession and breaches of VRO.

Maybe he needs time in the Big House. It just might save his life.

Nothing can save him. Time in jail wont do it. He is past that now.

He would have ready access to drugs there.

Prison is not where you go to get off drugs.

Yep. Nothing/no one can save Benny’s ars now except Benny.

Too far gone

And this ■■■■ has kids! Should have had them taken off him as soon as they were born.

Too far gone

And this ■■■■ has kids! Should have had them taken off him as soon as they were born.

No way. It’s not as if he’s a collingwood supporter.

Yep. Nothing/no one can save Benny’s ars now except Benny.

100% correct

what is VRO?

what is VRO?

RO is restraining order. Dunno about the V bit.

Violence