Ben Rutten - sacked

They’re all still in meetings too.

Gutless from our club to treat Rutten like this. It’s inevitable that he won’t be coaching us next year. At least have the balls to let him go out with some dignity.

2 Likes

Who are we taking with our first draft pick?

CLAKO!!!

1 Like

Whose coming for the cricket tests this year?

Alastair Clarkson has told Essendon he has interest in coaching the club next year

Essendon’s 11th hour bid for Alastair Clarkson has progressed, with the four-time premiership winner telling the Bombers he has interest in coaching the club.

Mark Robinson

@Robbo_heraldsun

2 min read

August 16, 2022 - 1:00PM

News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Essendon defender Nick Hind ignored head coach Ben Rutten after he came to the bench following a free kick against.

Alastair Clarkson has told Essendon he has interest in coaching the Bombers next year, as talks are about to ramp up with the premiership coach.

It’s believed Clarkson’s manager James Henderson has told the Bombers there is strong interest from his client, who is also weighing up a five-year offer from North Melbourne. He is also being courted by GWS.

It’s not known if Clarkson’s interest will equate to him accepting a job offer from Essendon, or if it’s only the start of a bidding war between all three clubs.

Essendon’s 11th hour bid for Clarkson came after the embarrassing loss to Port Adelaide on Sunday, which also led to the resignation of Paul Brasher as president.

A boardroom split over the results of the internal review delivered to the board 10 days ago and a clear loss of confidence in coach Ben Rutten by some directors led to the day of turmoil on Monday.

A decision on Rutten’s future is not expected today and at this stage, he will be in the chair when the Bombers take on Richmond at the MCG on Saturday night.

Embattled Rutten arrived at training a day after the Bombers installed new president David Barham and amid a cyclone of speculation about his future.

But Rutten maintained he has the confidence of his players.

Arriving at the Bombers headquarters on Tuesday morning, Rutten said he was focused on doing his job.

Watch every blockbuster AFL match this weekend Live & Ad-Break Free In-Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >

Ben Rutten leaves the ground after his side was smashed by Port Adelaide. Picture: Getty Images

“It’s not ideal obviously,” he said on Channel 9.

“I have got the confidence of the players, I’ve got a job to do and I am going to coach to the best I can in the next five days.”

The Herald Sun reported on Monday Rutten’s job was hanging by a thread, after Brasher stood down and the club announced a full-scale external review.

If Clarkson wants to coach Essendon, Rutten will lose his position.

Even if Clarkson rejects Essendon’s overtures, it’s almost impossible to believe Rutten would keep his job

Even if Clarkson rejects Essendon’s overtures, it’s almost impossible to believe Rutten would keep his job

North Melbourne is understood to have given Clarkson a soft deadline of Wednesday to make a call on if his future is at Arden Street.

The Kangaroos have offered Clarkson a minimum contract of five years.

GWS has also interviewed Clarkson for its vacant coaching position, but are yet to formally make him an offer.

The external review follows the Bombers internal review announced in May, which is understood to have determined Rutten would remain coach in 2023.

The past two performances by Essendon – losing to the Giants by 27-points and Port Adelaide by 84-points on Sunday – caused disenchantment among some board members.

7 Likes

Saucy!!

1 Like

Yes we’re soft from top to bottom, no one from Ess would have the drive or balls to even consider doing something like this, let alone actually doing it.

Mate. We’re literally reviewing every key department in the organisation.

How can you possibly argue that any coach - especially a first timer - has been given the best chance to succeed if we’ve now admitted to having surrounded them with the wrong people in the following roles:

• President
  • CEO
  • Head Of Football
  • List Manager
  • Head of Fitness/Medical

Let me put it to you another way: do you think the club would be well set up for success if the only change made was Clarko in for Rutten?

Or do you think that other executive/football department changes need to be made in order to give Clarko the best chance to succeed?

10 Likes

From now on he will forever be Clako to me.

1 Like

If we had of shown up to play footy on Sunday Ben wouldn’t be having this week he is having.

Don’t feel sorry for Ben Rutten.

Should have gotten the players up for Port.

3 Likes

If we get Clarko. I won’t a long contract.

He needs to be here for at least 5-6 years.

3 Likes

This is embarrassing. Club should do the right thing and remove Rutten.

5 Likes

Clarkson has little experience in Breaking Bad habits, while we all know Rutten is The Walking Dead. It may not go as expected so Curb Your Enthusiasm. There are some Mad Men at Essendon right now. I’d say he has 24 hours left to coach this Band Of Brothers, but Stranger Things have happened. I’d be interested to have a look at The X’s Files in The Office and see if he has any Friends. I hope we can get back to Happy Days like in the 1990’s those really were The Wonder Years. Right now though it’s just a House of Cards and everyone’s role is in Jeopardy. Maybe the club is just Lost.

6 Likes

My heart skipped a beat reading that headline and I checked multiple times to see if it said has interest or has no interest.

I need to get help.

3 Likes

They aren’t cohesive, it’s just obvious the problem is at board level at Essendon.

The players should be ashamed of their performance on Sunday regardless of how good or bad a coach Rutten is.

6 Likes

I’m sure they are. Why weren’t they embarrassed enough after the GWS game?

Why didn’t Rutten have them primed on Sunday to come out breathing fire.

They did at Port.

Hinkley a better coach or Koch a better president?

A due process is one that is thorough and incorporates all areas of the football department. You lot have this massiah complex and think clarko is magically going to fix all our problems. What happens when we don’t win a final in the next 5 years… Everyone will be saying we acted too quick on clarko didn’t conduct a proper process ect.

1 Like

Yup. Becoming quite clear. We are led by people who don’t see eye to eye, which filters downstream. Imagine how the players are feeling at the moment.

1 Like