Best 22 2019 - Round 1

Love it. Ridley has a little bit of dare I say, Hird about him at times… Just needs a bit more beef. Like him on a wing.

2 Likes

Also important to remember he is our third youngest player at this point in time, should gain several kilos on last year.

1 Like

Zaharakis and Smith.

1 Like

Ambrose is the forgotten man.

Redman, McKenna, and Ridley.

TABERNER leading Coleman after Round 1

GET ON

1 Like

This is actually very difficult. Way too many A-grade midfielders (not that I’m complaining) and it’s hard to find a balance between tall and small at both ends of the ground.

We have a very fast, very electric team. Pace pace pace.

So far I have this:

B: Francis, Hooker, Gleeson
HB: Saad, Hurley, McKenna
C: Merrett, Heppell, McGrath
HF: Zaharakis, Daniher, Fantasia
F: Stringer, McKernan, Walla
R: Bellchambers, Shiel, Smith
I: Myers, Langford, Redman, Guelfi

EMG: Brown, Ridley, Parish, Baguley

Myers is the closest thing we have to a pure inside mid, and he is playing arguably the best footy of his career. He should be a lock, despite what many might think.

EMG:

Brown is underrated. I would like to see him in there.
Parish is a young player on the rise. He deserves a place but it’s hard to find one if we have a full list to choose from (we never will have).
Baguley is our best pressure forward. We still don’t know whether he will be on the list or not, but he could also find a place in the 22.
Redman in the 22 over Ridley, gut feel. It could easily go the other way,

Regarding our midfield setup:

Smith brings the pressure. Although his size and attributes make him an obvious candidate for a move to HF, for as long as he keeps up his tackling pressure, he is vital in the engine room.
Hepp is too slow for a move to the outside IMO.
Between Merrett and Shiel it could go either way. Both capable runners and good ball users. Shiel is built like a brick shithouse so I would have him inside ahead of Zach.
I think McGrath’s age and upside puts him slightly ahead of Zaka for that wing position. Zaka very capable of a role in high HF.

2 Likes

Where does Begley fit?

He could take the place of so many of those guys I listed. It really just depends on his pre-season and who is fit come round 1. Would not be at all surprised to see him named in a forward pocket or on the interchange.

Between the wall and pantry.

4 Likes

Where do you even begin with this?

2 Likes

I’ll take a punt.

FB: A.Francis, M.Hurley, M.Gleeson
HB: C.McKenna, C.Hooker, A.Saad
C: D.Zaharakis, D.Shiel, D.Smith
HF: K.Langford, J.Daniher, J.Stringer
FF: O.Fantasia, S.McKernan, A.McDonald-Tipungwuti
RR: T.Bellchambers, D.Heppell, Z.Merrett

I/C: D.Parish, A.McGrath, M.Guelfi, J.Laverde

That is one hell of a team and the best 22 we have had easily since 2000.

We have great depth outside of that 22 as well so I am expecting big things from us in 2019.

I think we are really 1 more best 22 small forward short but I think that will be one of the areas we look to address in the draft(s).

3 Likes

Pretty poor effort I think, but let’s look at the positives.

They really like Francis, as he has pushed Hooker (in my view our most important player) to the bench.

Langford has been granted a starting spot on the wing, which is a big wrap.

Zaharakis in at the centre bounce is where I think he plays his best footy, but it’s a hell of a wrap for the old fella to be expected to keep those other inside midfielders out of there.

We all hope Stewart forces his way into the side. It’s optimistic, but not impossible that he takes the spot.

No love for the Marty Party though… ;sadface.

Shiel is clearly in our top 5 players. The question is, how much time will Dylan be given on the ball, and at stoppages. At GWS he was 3rd in line, at Essendon, he might be numero uno.
At Hawthorn, Mitchell is given 90% game time on the ball. Not even Hepp or Zerret get this amount of midfield time. But too much time on the ball might limit the damage Shiel can do, so we have to hit the sweet spot. Clearly Shiel can be damaging in a forward rotation, if he needs a “rest”.

It will be very very interesting to see how the midfield rotation part of the game plan is changed with Shiel in there.

1 Like

The midfield rotation part of the gameplan is so complex, I’m not sure we will notice beyond, “wow, look at Shiel break away from that stoppage with the ball… AGAIN”.

3 Likes

You can’t call Zaka old fella, he still has such a baby face :smile:

Had a look, he’s 28 - 3 years older than Shiel.

He is our most experienced player.

Seems like just yesterday he was kicking that goal.

1 Like

So good we are not relying on any 35 to 40 years olds for once. Although we all loved Fletch and wished he could’ve played forever!

In the rehab group

There would have to be a reasonable chance he’ll be ready to play by round 1.

Having said that, I’d prefer they give him an extended run in midfield in the VFL with a view to playing him in midfield long term