Best 22 2019 - Round 1

Nothing like a 40 point road win in Round 1 against a notoriously difficult opponent (for us) to get the bandwagon up and running.

Only to return to Melbourne in Round 2 and play a shambles club (Carlton, Brisbane, St Kilda etc) and lose.

2 Likes

Nahhh, ā€¦ Shiel be right this year. :smirk:

2 Likes

Clever.

1 Like

Does Essendon get a say in that??

In all seriousness though, ā€¦ I donā€™t think it will be a real issue next year.

Last years drama was 3 pronged, ā€¦ new players gelling, ā€¦ PLUS new game plan being implemented, ā€¦ plus JD in denial of his OP problem and lying to medicos and continuing to play injured, ā€¦ oh and a fourth prong if you want to throw the Neeld thing in as well.

This time itā€™s one player, possibly (hopefully) 2, ā€¦ coming in with all that sorted, and they should be able to virtually ā€œplug & playā€ the newcomers.

1 Like

Team with Scully and Shiel:
Francis Hooker Gleeson
McKenna Hurley Saad
Parish Shiel Scully
Smith Brown Fantasia
Stringer Daniher Walla
Bellchambers Heppell Merrett
Langford McGrath Redman Zaharakis

Myers Ridley Guelfi Laverde

Team with Shiel only:
Francis Hooker Gleeson
McKenna Hurley Saad
Parish Shiel Zaharakis
Smith Brown Fantasia
Stringer Daniher Walla
Bellchambers Heppell Merrett
Langford McGrath Redman Guelfi

Myers Ridley Baguley Laverde

1 Like

Iā€™d rather play Freo late in the season once theyā€™ve inevitably gone to ā– ā– ā– ā– 

2 Likes

Have to be a night game.

1 Like

Yep, screw playing in 30 degree heat

Agreed. I think JD was a big part of that. At least we now know that we can play good footy without him. And Iā€™m not by any means suggesting we donā€™t need him. Itā€™s just good to know weā€™ve got options.

1 Like

FB: A. Francis, C. Hooker, M. Gleeson
HB: C. McKenna, M. Hurley, A. Saad
C: D. Zaharakis, D. Heppell, A. McGrath
HF: D. Smith, J. Daniher, O. Fantasia
FF: J. Stringer, S. McKernan, A. McDonald-Tipingwuti
FOL: T. Bellchambers, D. Shiel, Z. Merrett
INT: K. Langford, D. Parish, M. Guelfi, M. Redman

Backs: Hooker and Hurley to hold down the key posts, with Francis to build on his late season form and play the third defender/intercept role. Gleeson I rate highly, hopefully he has put on a little bit of upper body strength during his rehabilitation. Either way, his intercepting and drive from the back line is excellent and Iā€™m hoping heā€™s fit enough to be in the round 1 team. McKenna and Saad again speak for themselves, will play on the smalls and provide the electrifying overlap run. Loved what I saw of Redman last year, I think heā€™s best 22 and can rotate off the bench. I believe we have a very good backline mix here.

Mids: Bellchambers obviously first choice ruck, had a great year so letā€™s hope he can maintain that form next year. Heppell, Shiel, Merrett, Smith, Langford and Parish to be the primary mids. The first 4 speak for themselves, Shiel will be a massive get here. Play him predominantly inside and watch him return to his 2017 AA form and absolutely smash it. Hoping Parish can again continue building fitness and size and be a serious contributor in there in the Sloane mould. Langford should go up a level again next year, would like him to completely overtake Myers and hold him out of the team. Zaharakis and McGrath on the wings. Donā€™t want McGrath in the backline anymore, Redman and Guelfi can rotate through there. Would love to see McGrath play inside as well as his quick hands and silky body work is perfect for that role despite his smaller size. Another preseason of him running and lifting, will have a big year. Guelfi to also play through the midfield and defence, love the toughness that he provides, you need these type of players.

Forwards: Praying Daniher can get himself fit, we need him back. I think McKernan will work very well with him, he can be the stay at home forward who can take a grab. Some days heā€™ll be quiet but as we know when heā€™s on heā€™s really on, and he will benefit from Joe taking the number 1 defender. Stringer as the third tall, he should be better again next year and hopefully have a big impact similar to De Goey at the Pies. Smith is listed here but will play predominately midfield. Fantasia and Tippa the smalls who can also rotate through the midfield when required.

This is a seriously talented team and Iā€™m pretty optimistic for next year. The best part is the vast majority of this group still has many years of playing together.

Super easy to arrive a best 22 these days. Iā€™m sure everyoneā€™s version is going to be about the same, bar a few positional differences and maybe 1 or 2 players different.

B: Gleeson Hooker Francis
HB: Saad Hurley McKenna
C: Smith Shiel Zaharakis
HF: Fantasia Daniher Langford
F: Walla McKernan Stringer
R: Bellchambers Heppell Merrett
INT: Parish McGrath Myers Baguley*
EMG: Guelfi Redman Brown Laverde

*Depending on whether Baguley remains on the list, otherwise Guelfi takes that spot

2 Likes

BIG MATTY TABRNER WHEELS AROUND ON HIS LEFT AND SENDS IT HOME FOR THEIR 7TH OF THE QUARTER.

FREO OFF TO THE DREAM START FOR 2019!!!

6 Likes

B: Atkinson, Bradley, Slattery
HB: Zantuck, Austin Lucy, Nash

R: Laycock, Murphy, Alvey
C: Kavanagh, Bullen, Camporeale

HF: Ricky Dyson, Johns, Henneman
F: Shotgun Williams, Neagle, McAlister

INT: Allan, Lee, Bolton, Cole

4 Likes

Iā€™ve thought of it about twenty times, the furthest theyā€™ve got is the boundary line.

I didnā€™t get a lot of responses to this query so thought Iā€™d discuss further. I donā€™t think we have a player in our best 22 that plays their best football on the wing, or as that outside mid.

In my mind you want someone with speed, foot skills, that can win 1 on 1 contests both on the ground and in the air, with a nice balance of attacking and defensive mindset.

I think Zerrett is possibly a strong option here. We no longer desperately need him in the guts. His foot skills are killer, and he happily works both ways. He isnā€™t strong in the air, and doesnā€™t have elite speed. However I really like the idea of him delivering I50.

Zaharakis is the obvious that most are running with.

Langford also is a possibility. Lacks speed and I donā€™t think heā€™ll catch the whippets. But is really good 1 on 1 and has great attacking foot skills.

Parish is an inside mid. McGrath and Heppell lack penetration in their kicking. And we need Shiel and Smith in the contest.

Guelfi has a little bit of everything, and could surprise further in this role.

Thoughts?

Redman for mine is the obvious one but hasnā€™t played there for a while.

Some say Irish could play there but personally I would have him in the guts.

1 Like

IMO Zaha and Raz.
But weā€™re better off with Raz fwd or half fwd.

Basically I think one is up for grabs.

1 Like

Agree that we donā€™t have a pure winger and that is why I like the idea of getting Jack Martin, I can see him playing there. Otherwise I think the best options are McGrath, Fantasia and Zaharakis.

3 Likes

I see Ridley as a future ā€˜wingmanā€™. Covers the ground well, great footskills delivering into the forward line and an aerial threat. His balance and poise when kicking on the run has stood out to me at VFL level.

I am extremely bullish on Ridley, as a few people are too Iā€™m sure. For mine he is the young player on the list I am most confident can become a top shelf, all-Australian level footballer - and I realise thatā€™s a big call looking at Francisā€™s finish to the season.

4 Likes