Best 22 2019 - Round 1

I kinda think this off season, there’s going to be a lot of people who love them some best 22 thread.

I actually have a doc on my phone which has a best 22 for seniors and seconds and a depth chart. It’s like my sudoku.

That said the vfl side is currently out of date.

10 Likes

Actually it looks like I’ve deleted the depth chart at some point and split the sides into best 22 2018 best , 22 2019 and a vfl side

2 whole sentences.
I saw a few times Guelfi ran himself into trouble, and his go to option was just to kick it.
And he doesn’t have the kicking power to get away with that off balance kick, so he’d end up dumping it 30m to the floating defenders. Whereas someone often potted for rushed disposal in Myers can get about 50 on that kick, even off balance with no time, which is enough to (generally) clear the zone, or at least give a forward a chance at contesting it.

There’s a good player in Guelfi if he tidies up a few things.

1 Like

Which list is Myers on?

I’m far from sold on Lav. I wouldn’t have him near my best 22 at the moment.
Apart from that, it looks good.

1 Like

Re Hooker matchups.

• 2nd ruckman when playing West Coast?
  • Port are already talking about playing 2 ruckmen so second ruckman for them
  • Hawks generally play 2 ruckmen, although they abandoned that for their second final so who knows what they’ll do
  • Melbourne will have Weidemann and that McDonald guy. I reckon he suits McDonald (this is all assuming Hogan is gone).

It will be interesting to see if more clubs head back to 2 ruckmen after West Coast’s success.

So there might be more direct match-ups for Hooker than there has been this season. But I see that as a good thing, because if most of them are second ruckmen, I reckon Hooker will still be able to float off them a bit and intercept.

2 Likes

Extended emergency list for the seniors and in the centre for the vfl side.

I really want to see us move away from having too many big heavy lumbers through the middle. I think hepp and Lang as the primary big bodies with stringer pinch hitting is enough. I think we get burnt on the spread a bit too easy at times.

All that said Myers played an important role at times this year. I just want langford to own his spot because I think he is more damaging, more creative and more versatile.

3 Likes

… and way better overhead and resting forward.

I haven’t seen much of Shiel to be honest, but will he essentially replace Myers in the inside mid rotation? I know he’s probably not as defensive…but it’s not like Myers was playing shutdown roles.

I was just stirring.

Agree with your best 22 almost completely. I’d have Bags in the last spot, and probably look at Redman / Ridley instead of Guelfi, but it’s a toss of a coin for the last two spots.

1 Like

Id love to see gleeson hurls and francis in the one team.

I hope Gleeson comes back as good as he left.

2 Likes

Agree, guelfi could just have easily been question marks. I’m looking forward to seeing who jumps up and makes those last couple of spots their own.

Our best 22.

B: Francis - Hurley - Gleeson
HB: Saad - Hooker - McKenna
C: Zaharakis - Heppell - McGrath
HF: Fantasia - Stringer - Smith
F: Tippa - Daniher - Laverde

R: Bellcho - Shiel - Merrett

INT: Langford - Parish - Guelfi - Myers
EMERG: Begley, Baguley, Redman, McKernan, Stewart, Ambrose etc etc

2 Likes

I’m hoping that with some added muscle he comes back better than he left.

Gleeson is a very talented footballer, he just needed some size.

B: Saad Hooker Francis
HB: Gleeson Hurley McKenna
C: McGrath Heppell Zaka
HF: Fantasia Daniher Smith
F: Stringer Smack TIPPA
R: Belly Shiel Zerrett

B: Myers Langford Parish… Redman/Guelfi

** If we get Martin. One of Myers/Parish out, 7th def/mid needs to stay.

B: Saad - Hurley - Francis
HB: McKenna - Hooker - Gleeson
C: McGrath - Heppell - Zaharakis
HF: Tippa - Daniher - Smith
F: Fantasia - McKernan - Stringer

R: Bellchambers - Shiel - Zerrett

Int: Langford - Parish - Myers - Redman

• deadset, look at the speed of that left side
  • just realised its pretty much the same as Ivan
  • Baguley replaces Redman if he gets another contract
  • In order the weakest links in this side are Redman, Gleeson, Myers. Could make way for Guelfi, Ridley, Mutch, Begley, Ambrose, Stewart.
1 Like

A.FRANCIS. M.HURLEY. A.MCGRATH

C.MCKENNA. C.HOOKER. M.REDMAN

D.ZAHARAKIS. D.SHIEL. D.HEPPELL

K.LANGFORD J.STRINGER. D.SMITH

O.FANTASIA J.DANIHER. “WALLA”

T.BELLCHAMBERS. Z.MERRETT D.PARISH.

J.LAVERDE. T.COLYER. M.GUELFI. M.BROWN.

J.RIDLEY. J.BEGLEY. M.GLEESON.

1 Like

Any side without Saad is not a serious side, Joe.

11 Likes

Holy moly,

how did I do that. ? must delete and start again.

3 Likes