Best 22 2019 - Round 1

Depends on the opposition.
Francis is well ahead as the third tall now, but Paddy matches up well on certain sorts of opponents- the Riewoldt/ Darling type of mobile shorter KPF’s.
But you’d only want him if a side was going to play 3 talls AND you wanted to keep Francis as an intercepting attacking force.
So I’d seriously consider him against say the Weagles, as they lined up on GF day, - let Francis double team against Kennedy, put Hurls on their resting ruck, again with Franga as intercept cover, and back Paddy on Darling.

But there’s not many teams who’d warrant that.

1 Like

Possibly, especially with a cloud over Gleeson/Redman/McKenna. Their availablity may force us to play Francis a bit smaller rather than as a third tall.

I still think we would prefer to play 7 defenders and if McGrath is playing midfield I don’t think the no.7 is settled

I also think Ambrose is a little more flexible in terms of his match up than he is given credit for.

Saad hurls Francis
McKenna hooker Gleeson

Ambrose

I think that could work with Gleeson Ambrose Hurley and Francis shuffling fairly freely between roles

Against WC if probably go

Hurls - Kennedy
Hooker - Vardy
Ambrose - darling

Gleeson and Francis get the left overs, rotate, and play as the spare

1 Like

This.

It will always be horses for courses, and dependent on the day, the opposition, and the conditions.

Better of picking a best 26 for an overall year.

1 Like

20 non negotiables for me:
Heppell Merrett Myers Fantasia Daniher Hurley hooker Saad McKenna Francis Zaka TBC Shiel Smith McGrath Parish Langford stringer Walla Smack

2 Likes

Of course… you need 6 defenders + McGrath. He is one of the few that can switch midfield and defence which is a very handy and I’m sure he will spend spend time behind the ball next year.

I think this is a reasonable way to approach the best 22, and although on form and selection history, and his recent re-election to the leadership group Myers is a solid selection, you have to wonder if the there isn’t one midfield spot up for contest.

Unconfirmed candidates for best 22:

Gleeson
Baguley
Ridley
Laverde
Begley
Stewart (will struggle to get in with 3 strong tall forwards already embedded in best 22)
Mozzie (based on small forward vacancy - and unbridled optimism)
Redman
Ham (again small forward and strong training form, and is turning 20 in April, so a little more maturity).
Guelfi

I favor the addition of Redman (perhaps for Myers), Guelfi and Gleeson/Ridley, but would be very excited if Mozzie or Ham forced their way in. But very happy with our top 30 and there are still future best 22’s on the way like Draper and Zerk, and possibly others (we’ll wait and see for those).

2 Likes

Another interesting thing to do is to look at players from this core group of 20 who could make big improvements to our side this year compared to 2018:

1. Fantasia
2. Daniher
3. Francis
4. Shiel
5. McGrath
6. Parish
7. Langford
8. Stringer
9. Smack
10.Zaka

None of these players were top 10 in the Crichton in 2018. All these players output was either limited significantly by injury, or they are young and only just coming into their best, or in the case of Shiel are new to the team, or, in the case of Stringer he is known to have another gear we hope to see this year, and maybe even can begin to find a new one if he gets some more midfield fitness. These players playing to their potential could put our 2019 form through the roof.

From players who did finish in the top 10 in the Crichton:

1. Devon Smith 370 votes
  2. Dyson Heppell 360 votes
  3. Zach Merrett 335 votes
  4. Adam Saad 315 votes
  5. Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti 295 votes
  6. Tom Bellchambers 281 votes
  7. Michael Hurley 280 votes
  8. Cale Hooker 276 votes
  9. Conor McKenna 268 votes
  10. Brendon Goddard 267 votes

8 of these players could arguably still improve on their 2018 form, but our expectations of Hooker and Hurley will have to start moderating at some point, but not necessarily yet. We can get better out of all these players (bar Goddard) if we are performing as a cohesive unit, which can improve everyone.

Although with TBC we can’t necessarily expect will get better or worse, being a prime age for a ruckman. Tom’s form was career best in 2018, coming 6th in the Crichton from 20 games, and quality ruckmen are not easily found at the moment, so he is a lock until Draper approaches his potential or if Zlarke surprises.

Myers wasn’t top 10 last year, having had some injury worries early (16 games), but these were less than average, and after a surprise “most improved” award in 2018, it would be unreasonable to expect another in 2019.

And out of our last 2 positions on the field, there are 10 or so players who might step up, which means they will be better than 2018, how much they do so and how much they add is a real wild card.

Goddard is the only best 22 player we have lost this year, and with big improvements in output possible in 10 or more players we should be able to easily more than cover for his loss.

Our improved depth should also serve us well for an improved 2019.

Roll on round 1…

4 Likes

Its a scary list you have named, 10 people to expect improvement that didn’t finish top 10. The fact that names not mentioned like Myers, Gleeson, Guelfi, Redman, Begley, Laverde, Baguley, Ridley, Stewart, Ambrose, Dea, Hartley and Brown brings us to over 30 capable players for 2019.
Goddard is the only one missing and in my opinion if Gleeson and Redman were fit he wouldn’t have played many games in the second half of the season.
Myers, although not prolific on the stat sheet not many of our players can handle his inside role. Langford I assume still doesn’t have him covered and although you’d hope Shiel could he always had good mids next to him especially Ward who went toe to toe with the biggest opposition mid. He most likely won’t play 20 games given his history but when fit he’ll be chosen.

1 Like

Yeah, and I for one thought Shiel was a pretty stiff to be honest. I mean we were trying to lure the guy over, throw him a vote or two for Christ’s sake.

5 Likes

I expect a better performance this year.

In unfortunate case of the loss of a KPD we have a choice of Brown, Ambrose, or Hartley . If we are lacking a physical presence in the back 6 Ambrose is probably the choice, if we are lacking marking ability, Brown, and if we are lacking height, Hartley. Zerk is a possibility, maybe towards the end of the season.
But these guys will need to play really well in the VFL week on week to be first in line.

I can;t believe how many people have our best midfielder from last season devon smith not actually named in the midfield. Comes to the club to play midfield, absolutely dominates last season, pushed back out to a flank the following year, i don;t think it would go down too well.

3 Likes

I did it and feel dirty about it.

Whats your midfield look like?

I don’t think putting him on a flank means they don’t expect him to play a lot of midfield. We’ll be rotating probably 10+ players through the midfield.

5 Likes

I personally think people are doing it because they think he is the best option to fix the 6th spot in the forward line.

I’m with you. You want his spot in the midfield, you can out work him and push him out (good luck with that). Let everyone that didn’t win the best and fairest last year fight it out to see who gets stuck in the forward line.

1 Like

The 5 locks i’d have at this stage would be:
Bellchambers
Smith
Merrett
Sheil
Heppell

Outside of that it’s a shitfight for the one remaining on-field position and midfield bench spots.

1 Like

We have some genuine depth rolling through there now.

Just need one of Langford, Parish or McGrath to step up and we will challenge for one of the better midfields.

If all three come on then god help the competition.

2 Likes

Just another fool who underrates Heppell’s work around clearances. And if Myers is not a midfielder, what the hell does “HB Meyers” think he is? (although looking at it perhaps the clue is in his name lol)

2 Likes

The 5th and 6th forwards are basically midfielders. I wouldn’t get too precious about people banking Smith on a forward flank

5 Likes