Best 22 2019 - Round 1

We do pick 5 or 6 forwards as a pretty rigid structure.
But yes the positions people are selected in on best 22 threads on here matters even less than positions in the 22 the club puts out in the emails. Ie not at all.

The Mongrel Punt can write long articles about it, but I would not be too hasty in rating midfields based on the number of clearances.

Collingwood, supposedly with the best midfield in the comp and the best ruckman, managed an average of 38 in 2018. Essendon, whose midfield is universally panned by the students of the game, as being bog average, is only 1.2 clearances per game less, on average. Thats bugger all.

In case midfields are rated by the ā€œstarā€ quality of the midfielders, in many cases it makes little difference. Lets compare the elite midfields against the average clearances for the whole competition.

Carlton. 1 Star mid, -2
Hawthorn, 2 star mids. = average clearances.
Geelong. 3 star midfielders +0.7
Swans. 2 star mids +0.3

Essendon. No ā€œeliteā€ mids +0.2

Port Adelaide got the most clearances last year. Look where it got them !

1 Like

And our wings are essentially mids too.
Zaharakis has been a bucketload more consistent as a wing / midfielder and thatā€™s where I expect McGrath to play mostly.

The classic outside wingman is a bit of a rarity these days, especially in good teams. If youā€™re going to have one, like Smith from the Dawks, or Hill at Freo, then they really have to have a hurt factor.
Front runners like Polec, who are pretty useless in traffic or under pressure, will cost you more games than they win.
Itā€™s also an area where ā€œFumblesā€ Colyer, for all his pace and efforts wonā€™t be missed.

At times he was a matchwinner. In the Hawthorn game several years ago, and in the 2nd Hawthorn game last year, we needed to win to stay in the running for finals. Colyer was brilliant in the last quarter.

Several years ago is the key give away. One good quarter since is hardly irreplaceable.
Besides, Colyer or McGrath?
Even Travā€™s mum might find that hard to argue.

1 Like

We have a lot of options for the 6th spot.

Yep, I was really disappointed him in 2018. He had opportunities to get plenty of the ball and just frittered it away.

I think the most important measure for a midfield is how many damaging uncontested possessions they have (where the break down the opposition and then run away for an uncontested possession that advances the play as opposed to chipping sideways) and how effective their disposal is under pressure.

That was my first thought as well

Richmond 2nd fewest clearances per game.

Heā€™s pretty clearly saying, you need to name 7 defenders + McGrath if you expect him to rotate through the middle to any significance. Not 6.
And itā€™s a pretty fair call.

2 Likes

Reasonable summary, except it only ever mentioned Fantasia in conjunction with TIPPA.

He stays fit, heā€™s the best small forward in the game and will win games off his own boot and leave opponents shaking their heads in resignation.

4 Likes

6 weeks to round 1, 3 weeks to the JLT#1. The coaches will need to narrow down the playing group into best 22 and emergencies fairly soon if they are going to be finalising the preseason by playing match sims as a unit. Or will they just keep on training all and sundry on an ad hoc basis?

IIRC in Woosh last video they now looking to start narrowing down the team.

At the end of the day though the core of the team & right mix was worked out last year so itā€™s prob 20 near certainties and 2 other spots up for grabs.

Which a great place to be for team stability etc

Agree, one spot in forward (Baguley, Begley & Laverde), one in defence (Ridley, Dea & Ambrose - my money is on Ridley) and one on bench (Guelfi or one of the defenders).

1 Like

Begley has made a massive recovery from his ACL, to be training so freely and in contention for a spot in round 1. Kudos has to go to him.

6 Likes

Unless a disaster comes along like the usual preseason injury for him then , Laverdeā€™s efforts in the last game against Port has him in the 22.

1 Like

Not so sure about that

Was only there as we werenā€™t running a preferred tall fwd structure given injuries. We had Brown, Stringer & Lav as our marking options in that game.

No place for him around Daniher/Brown, Smack & Stringer. Itā€™ll be smalls IMO, fwd pressure key.

2 Likes

Iā€™d be very surprised if he doesnā€™t get a game, at least on the bench

There will be some very disappointed footy players when that round 1 side is finalised.