Best 22 2019 - Round 1

Im suggesting Walla plays like 60-70% forward pocket and helps out 10-20% as a defender (rather than a burst in the midfield).

Disagree.
Walla’s Bursts in the midfield are gold, particularly late in quarters when his delivery can cut opponents up.
Coaches have hinted at more midfield time for him this year.
It’s only coz you insist on playing Laverde rather than another back man.
Who said Knights didn’t have a legacy?

2 Likes

What has Long done to justify playing in the starting 22 in R1?
Not enough, from what l have seen.

I think he’s better 80% forward and a run through the midfield. Although if one of the fast blokes at half back were injured i could see some value in putting him there for short patches. But i just think he’s too good in the forward half.

Firstly, we all agree about nothing.
Secondly, Franklin looked lame.
Thirdly, Hurley’s game on GWS’ Cameron where he stood off Cameron and intercepted attacking side, yet still stopped Cameron from having an impact was masterful.
Fourthly, yeh you are probably right as Hurls was awesome against swans…

Isn’t this only an issue if the numbers are out of whack with the other mob?

Ie when Cameron goes off, Hurley just follows him. Langdon becomes de facto FF and his matchup becomes de facto FB. A mid goes to that flank, and so on up the line.

You’ve only got an issue if Cameron comes off and another tall comes on.

But nobody’s playing a KPF purely off the bench, it’d stymie your flexibility too much.

1 Like

Been upright when Gleeson & Redman aren’t, against a team where playing Dea, MacNiece or Ridley are the other options.
And the coaches do see something there

So lame in fact that the following week he kicked 6 goals against the Pies in a match winning performance to be judged BOG in a low scoring game - in fact he kicked over half of the Swans total score.

What a miraculous recovery!

3 Likes

Daniher is pinging goals from outside 50 a month out…he be ready?

1 Like

Guelfi is also an option, and l reckon a superior one.

Never in doubt.

1 Like

Match-ups matter, of course.
But a quarter of the team are talls.
I think they deserve a quarter of the bench.

I don’t think it works quite like that.

For a start, KPs play 90 or 95% of game time, whereas smalls and mids play 75 - 80%.

You don’t carry a spare tall forward for the 20 minutes (combined) the FF or CHF spend off.

They do get rest, but it’s covered by more of a shuffle across, than a one for one swap.

(Ie belcho off = joe to ruck, Stringer as a target fwd, Langford pushes to HFF, and a bench midfielder comes on for him)

1 Like

I suppose I should put a stake in the ground. IMO, I think we’ll use the same system as last year - 1 ruck, 7 defenders, 6 forwards, 8 midfielders.

FB: Saad Hooker Dea
CB: McKenna Hurley Francis
B: Redman

C: McGrath Heppell Zaha
R: Belly Zerrett Shiel
B: Smith Parish Langford

CF: Walla Daniher Fantasia
FF: Bags McKernan Stringer

Emerg: Guelfi, Myers, Ridley, Gleeson

I think if JD is injured Brown will be in for him, and until Redman is fit it will be between Ridley and Guelfi for his spot. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ambrose is in over Dea, but I think Dea is the smarter option.

Gleeson is obviously missing, but I imagine they’ll find room for him when he’s fit. I have my doubts on him.

1 Like

Bit of talk about Toby Greene in round 1 but i dont think he is a certainty to be back…

Fine by me

1 Like

The guelf is in my team CJ, the other options are injured/not suited to the role/ not LONGY

Yep fair point.

Guelfi is already in. Not arguing.
I should just permanently put “7 back men” in the clipboard.

Genuine question, what exactly cements Long in for you?

He’s a nice kick but no nicer than Ridley, who has him covered in a number of areas IMO.

1 Like