Best 22 2019 - Round 1

It’s a pity Redman is probably not going to be ready for GWS. I’d love to see how he’d go on someone like Green. I think he’d handle Green’s niggling bullshit pretty well.

Run and carry, disposal and my genuine excitement to see how’d he’d go with a run of games in the ones. Though with the young talent that could come in on that line, I can see how it’s wishful thinking for some.

2 Likes

Redman won’t be ready round one, will he?

Not with that sort of attitude.

4 Likes

You may think that, but you appear to be the only one. And I am including the EFC team selectors there.

We don’t name spare talls on the bench, but we do name flexible teams that can cover for talls resting. We are likely to name 2-3 mid-sized defenders each week between Ridley, Gleeson, Redman, Dea who can all play a bit taller for periods.

Forward line can easily just play smaller for periods if they wish, or they are likely to have mediums like Lang and Lav rolling through at times to provide more of a marking target.

Plus there’s the fact that HAP mentioned, that most mobs we’re playing are doing the same thing.

I think lots of things.
I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

1 Like

Can’t say I’m terribly worried.

1 Like

Good man.

Saints have Gold Coast at Marvel rd 1

Gee wouldn’t we love that! a soft game to get you season kick started but instead we have to travel interstate and face the Giants at shitless stadium.

2 Likes

You do realise that someone has to play the Gold Coast in round 1 right? And also that we do get to play both of those teams this year? Is there anything you’re incapable of finding the negative in?

6 Likes

I reckon the worst time to play Gold Coast is early. Just look at their record the last couple of years.

1 Like

You don’t want to play teams like Saints, Suns, Freo etc in the first five rounds. They have their tail up and may steal a game or two.

1 Like

Imagine if the Suns beat the Saints in round one. I’ll be smiling so much.

3 Likes

Probably not, which is why underneath I said it would probably be out of Ridley or Guelfi for that spot.

1 Like

I like having a hard game first up. You either get the win and that’s great for confidence or you lose and the boys are immediately under pressure and get a reality check. An easy first game doesn’t help gauge where the team is at.

6 Likes

To make top 4 we should lose no more than 5 games throughout the year and for that to happen we need to be switched on all the way through.

The order of who we play should not even come into the equation in my opinion.

2 Likes

I’m just saying.

You don’t think they’re a decent match-up for a first round game?

I wonder what influence Rutten will have on selection of defensive players ?

I think he will tend to favour rugged players who will play one on one and performed best in team defence in match sims. Harvey no doubt favours more physical players, but with a new emphasis on team defence they will need to satisfy Rutten that they can play in this new way. . I expect players like Ambrose, Redman, Zerk, Guelfi to be vying for spots behind the obvious ones. It might be that they get preference over more skilled but less contested players like Ridley, Long, Gleeson and Hartley, but Gleeson is going to need a hitout in the 2s before being considered I think.

1 Like

Defensive players would be a lot harder to drop, wouldn’t they? I mean - think of all the farkin excuses…

3 Likes