Best 22 (25)

A best 22 thread? Did I fall asleep and wake up in January?

i'm more interested in what our best 25/26 is for week one of finals and beyond. Are we absolutely sure feltch can't get up if we push into the second or third week.

bags hurls steinberg

pig hooker demps

zmerret hepp zaka

Ryder Jobe Hocking

BJ Carlisle Colyer

Chappy JD Licha

stanton myers ambrose - howlett

tbell dell melk gleeson jmerrett hardy ashby jetta ??? tbell certainly the most important back up of that lot but i don't know what order i'd pick the others in. I'm so cut fletch isn't available

could Tbell make a late season run - how did he run out the game in the VFL on friday? could we be tempted to push JD or Ambrose aside and play ryder fwd and tbell ruck. How would ryder do playing ambroses role pushing high up the ground and throwing his weight around defensively, getting 3rd man up now and then - he'd certainly be more dangerous close to goals and dare i say it a little smarter around the edge of 50 hmmmm. something i really do wish we had tried earlier in the year i must say. 

i'm more interested in what our best 25/26 is for week one of finals and beyond. Are we absolutely sure feltch can't get up if we push into the second or third week.

bags hurls steinberg

pig hooker demps

zmerret hepp zaka

Ryder Jobe Hocking

BJ Carlisle Colyer

Chappy JD Licha

stanton myers ambrose - howlett

tbell dell melk gleeson jmerrett hardy ashby jetta ??? tbell certainly the most important back up of that lot but i don't know what order i'd pick the others in. I'm so cut fletch isn't available

could Tbell make a late season run - how did he run out the game in the VFL on friday? could we be tempted to push JD or Ambrose aside and play ryder fwd and tbell ruck. How would ryder do playing ambroses role pushing high up the ground and throwing his weight around defensively, getting 3rd man up now and then - he'd certainly be more dangerous close to goals and dare i say it a little smarter around the edge of 50 hmmmm. something i really do wish we had tried earlier in the year i must say. 

We didn't really have the option with TBell earlier in the year.

Will need pretty big balls to change anything up from here in terms of talls, IMHO. We tried various things earlier (Carlisle & JD in ruck, Fletch fwd ;) etc) but none of them are really available to us now. We have, basically, TBell/Stein/Ambrose' spots to play with.

Agree on Fletch. Makes it aaaalll better

can't have colyer. has speed but not the disposal and doesn't get enough of it. top teams have speed and delivery

Read more at:

Whathefuk.com

I would leave Fletcher out of the team until the second week of finals. (Ambrose then may lose his spot.)  Give that injured finger of his, time to heal.  Steinberg is doing o.k.  and with more games under his belt will only get better.

Zac Merrett must be in the team, he's a play maker and much too valuable to be wasted as a sub.  Howlett (?) on the bench or try Stanton (?) as the sub or an emergency.

THE BIG IFS: Gleeson if fit should play.  This kid is as sharp as and has good skills which case Stanton goes out and becomes an emergency.  Howlett is the sub  or consider LambOrazio if we are needing speed.  Belly IF FIT is a must to support Ryder who can then rest and move fwd.

So, its all very fascinating and some of our more senior players may NOT play finals if we base selection on past performance.

I would leave Fletcher out of the team until the second week of finals. (Ambrose then may lose his spot.)  Give that injured finger of his, time to heal.  Steinberg is doing o.k.  and with more games under his belt will only get better.

Zac Merrett must be in the team, he's a play maker and much too valuable to be wasted as a sub.  Howlett (?) on the bench or try Stanton (?) as the sub or an emergency.

THE BIG IFS: Gleeson if fit should play.  This kid is as sharp as and has good skills which case Stanton goes out and becomes an emergency.  Howlett is the sub  or consider LambOrazio if we are needing speed.  Belly IF FIT is a must to support Ryder who can then rest and move fwd.

So, its all very fascinating and some of our more senior players may NOT play finals if we base selection on past performance.

Drop just about our only proven finals performer.

For a 10 game kid, who hasn't played AFL for 2 months.

Almost as ridiculous as it gets - and the bar is being set pretty high here.

Hey guys great idea: let's pick all our 70kg kids with less than 10 games and, for some reason, Hardie.

HB Hardingham Gleeson HAMS

HF Orazio BELL Howlett

Omitted: Stanton Ambrose Colyer Zerrett Stein

That about right????

Drop just about our only proven finals performer.

For a 10 game kid, who hasn't played AFL for 2 months.

Almost as ridiculous as it gets - and the bar is being set pretty high here.

It's pretty impressive isn't it.

FFS no way is Stanton getting dropped

It may sound so but I still remember the 2001 grand final game against Brisbane.  We went into the game with three or four of our stars all carrying injuries requiring jabs (which of course weren't performance enhancing - not much)  Hird, Fletcher, Misiti and I can't remember the other.  Might have been Lucas??  Not sure now.  We lost the game.

Sometimes, it pays to be daring, different and throw caution to the wind and take a risk -  I think Bomber has a glug of the Sheeds.

It may sound so but I still remember the 2001 grand final game against Brisbane.  We went into the game with three or four of our stars all carrying injuries requiring jabs (which of course weren't performance enhancing - not much)  Hird, Fletcher, Misiti and I can't remember the other.  Might have been Lucas??  Not sure now.  We lost the game.

Sometimes, it pays to be daring, different and throw caution to the wind and take a risk -  I think Bomber has a glug of the Sheeds.

It may sound ridiculous but I still remember the 2001 grand final game against Brisbane.  We went into the game with three or four of our stars all carrying injuries requiring jabs (which of course weren't performance enhancing - not much)  Hird, Fletcher, Misiti and I can't remember the other.  Might have been Lucas??  Not sure now.  We lost the game.

can't have colyer. has speed but not the disposal and doesn't get enough of it. top teams have speed and delivery

obvious troll is obvious

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone! 

Pretty spot on mate. Only thing is, are you talking about our best team right now to take into the finals series? Because if you are Kommer can't be in your squad, nor can Fletch (although there is talk he may be a chance if we progress a little further). On the other hand if you are talking about next season then Winderlich can't be considered and potentially fletch but we wait to see.

What I am asking is who would be in our best 22 assuming every player on the list was fit.

Some great responses so far! 

"Taking in injured guys who hadn't played in ages over guys who were performing really hurt us before.... so let's drop fit guys for injured guys who haven't played in ages"

Geeeeenius.

People dropping stants :wacko: . He's still top 10 in terms of performers and importance to the side.

Watson

Ryder

Carlisle

Heppel

Hooker

Hibbered

Goddard

Zaka

Hurley

Stanton

He's dropped to about the 5th mid but still very important. Hoping Myers goes past him soon.

Hibberd Hooker Bags

Licha Hurley Dempsey

Ryder Stanton Watson

Zaka Heppell Hocking 

Goddard Carlisle Chapman

Zerrett Daniher Ambrose

Colyer, Howlett, Myers

Sub: Dell

Emergencies: Melk, TBell, Gleeson

People dropping stants :wacko: . He's still top 10 in terms of performers and importance to the side.

Watson

Ryder

Carlisle

Heppel

Hooker

Hibbered

Goddard

Zaka

Hurley

Stanton

He's dropped to about the 5th mid but still very important. Hoping Myers goes past him soon.

Stants has not performed well as a mid for many weeks now. I would ask him to play a role up forward, using his excellent running ability to offer push-up lead again and again. Would run most backmen absolutely ragged. His delivery to a player has been very sus also, so have him shooting at goal more often. He finds space at opportune times, I reckon he could develop quickly into a valuable HFF. 

But as a mid he has not shown any improvement for a long long time. Still runs hard, Still points well.

I know finals haven't been a common thing over the past decade - so I'll write this down to force of habit and assume this best 22 thread was pre-planned.

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone! 

Pretty spot on mate. Only thing is, are you talking about our best team right now to take into the finals series? Because if you are Kommer can't be in your squad, nor can Fletch (although there is talk he may be a chance if we progress a little further). On the other hand if you are talking about next season then Winderlich can't be considered and potentially fletch but we wait to see.

What I am asking is who would be in our best 22 assuming every player on the list was fit.

Some great responses so far! 

welcome aboard - you must be new to supporting essendon otherwise you would know that we never have a full list to choose from - :p

sorry i derailed your thread by shifting it to a finals focus but that is what i felt like talking about.