Best 22 (25)

We are starting to gain some real depth to our list and it would be interesting to see who others would have in their best 22. From all Essendon's currently listed players, select your best 22 (including sub), plus 3 emergencies. Mine is as follows:

B: Baguley, Hurley, Fletcher

HB: Hibberd, Hooker, Dempsey

C: Goddard, Heppell, Stanton

HF: Colyer, Daniher, Zaharakis
FF: Chapman, Carlisle, Winderlich

RR: Ryder, Watson, Hocking

I: Myers, Howlett, Ambrose, SUB: Z Merrett

Emerg: Bellchambers, Melksham, Kommer

Honourable mentions go to Gleeson, Hardingham and J Merrett who were unlucky to miss out.

I invite any feedback regarding my selections and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

3rd post? Welcome to blitz

This should be a poll

Needs more Kommer

Pretty spot on mate. Only thing is, are you talking about our best team right now to take into the finals series? Because if you are Kommer can't be in your squad, nor can Fletch (although there is talk he may be a chance if we progress a little further). On the other hand if you are talking about next season then Winderlich can't be considered and potentially fletch but we wait to see.

I'm wondering if Fletch is any hope of still getting back for finals. I'd take Fletch with a broken hand over Stein in a final. Harsh on Stein but Fletch just has that experience.

can't have colyer. has speed but not the disposal and doesn't get enough of it. top teams have speed and delivery

I reckon Kommer is a vital defensive forward. We have totally lost the ability to lock the ball into our forward line.

Not sure who he replaces. Maybe Ambrose at this stage?

And tom, Colyer has been a match winner for us in the run up to the finals. I would say we would not be in the finals without him.

can't have colyer. has speed but not the disposal and doesn't get enough of it. top teams have speed and delivery

You been watching of late?

So you're saying we're a top team then? May be a little premature, but ok.

I reckon Kommer is a vital defensive forward. We have totally lost the ability to lock the ball into our forward line.
And tom, Colyer has been a match winner for us in the run up to the finals. I would say we would not be in the finals without him.

Howlett comes out for Zerrett, for mine. He's clearly the guy we want with ball in hand going inside 50. Kommer, with Howlett, misses out. Stanton's spot not far off being in question IMHO for above reasons.

I'm wondering if Fletch is any hope of still getting back for finals. I'd take Fletch with a broken hand over Stein in a final. Harsh on Stein but Fletch just has that experience.

Hand's not broken, he's got arthritis, can't turn taps on!

tom's an idiot. Colyer is so essential to our mix with his speed it's ridiculous.

And Zach is first 18, not #22.

l think you might be alone in that assessment. The disposal issue has disappeared. 

In not sold on Ambrose. Belly is clearly best 22, but team balance and Ryder playing the best footy of his life is keeping him out.

You could also argue Belly is better than’dare i say it Joe’ atm, but Bomber will play him regardless.

Welcome to Blitz BomberSam.

I think Bellchambers remains in the best 22.  I know he has had a tough year, but he is a good player when up and about.  As such, the resting ruckman gets the third tall spot and pushes Ambrose out.

I am big wraps on Marty Gleeson.  I'd have him as the sub.  The kid was holding his spot in the side prior to getting injured, and is just so footy smart.  I'd have him in the red vest, move Zerrett into the main side, and drop Howlett.  Ben's performances this year have been far too hot or cold.

Then I have to decide between Colyer and Kommer.  And at this stage I agree that Colyer is the more damaging.  But certainly wouldn't write off Kommer who was a revelation in his first season, and hardly got out of the emergency ward this season.

The good thing is it looks like they are getting rid of the sub rule next year anyway.

Couple of those spots are up in the air for mine.

The key point is:

At least 5 of Kommer Melksham Gleeson Jerrett Ashby Howlett Aylett are outside it. Belly as well. All have pushed claims for a spot this year, and all are developing nicely.

Hopefully Stein keeps improving, for balance’s sake.

Depth.

Howlett comes out for Zerrett, for mine. He's clearly the guy we want with ball in hand going inside 50. Kommer, with Howlett, misses out. Stanton's spot not far off being in question IMHO for above reasons.
I'd take Howlett over Stanton any day. Gives a genuine contest.

The good thing is it looks like they are getting rid of the sub rule next year anyway.

Source?

I'd take Howlett over Stanton any day. Gives a genuine contest.

In the same way, many people want to drop Stein for a midfielder this week.

Howlett's there, more or less, to give a contest & halve loose balls.

Stanton's role is utterly, completely, absolutely different. They're not going for the same spot, it wouldn't make any sense at all to drop one for the other (you'd essentially be asking Dempsey or Winders to push up into midfield, which neither have done recently with any success)

Other players are within cooee of pushing Stants for his spot, IMHO.