Best Camera

http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com.au/prosumer-and-mirrorless-cameras/canon.html

My daughter has the Canon SX50 and it takes a great photo, excellent colours, lots of features and easy to use. My family has used this web site to buy electronic equipment and it has been very good.

Surprised no one has mentioned GoPro yet.

If your trying not to look like a tourist (camera with a zoom lense) then the best camera around is the GoPro. Only problem is you cannot zoom in or out until after you’ve downloaded the images (let’s face it, that’s all most point and click cameras do anyway - same view as original, just cropped). But the detail of photos is pretty darn good for such a small thing.

Other draw back is that all photos will come in wide angle lense meaning you’ll get all edges of the photo curved. It looks cool in some instances, but sometimes, you just want the normal photo which is tough to do in GoPro. As far as I’m aware, it doesn’t do HDR, so it does have some problems with well lit areas or overly dark areas.

It takes video as well and you can reduce the view from wide to narrow so you don’t get the curved edges. It handles night time video very well. Probably as good as any of the best video camera could.

Battery power is a bit of a bugger. I think it lasts around an hour if you set to 1080 video so you might want a spare battery with that.

Don’t fall into the trap of using the wi-Fi and connecting it to your phone. It drains all batteries quickly. Just spend the ca$h and get the back viewing attachment.

Oh, don’t be a toss bag and strap it to your head. Just get the small and simple grip that allows you to strap it securely to your wrist. The other advantage of these is it comes in waterproof casing so you don’t need to worry about it in the rain or other wet areas.

If you are looking for a camera that takes better photos and gives you more control of the final outcome, then you’ll need to get something with a decent power zoom. If you know how to use one of those professional cameras, then use it. The photos are brilliant. As far as being a target, I wouldn’t worry about it. As long as you keep a hand on your stuff, you’ll be fine. This is coming from someone who been to Napoli, Genoa, Marseille, Barcelona, L.A. and New York City in the last few months. Have not had any problems blending in (I.e. wearing local clothing, not constantly stopping and looking at a map, etc.) and also haven’t had anything taken from me (touch wood). You’ll find most of the websites say the same thing. Keep an eye or a hand on your stuff and you’ll be fine anywhere.

Also, don’t use one of those bum bags or an under clothing wallet. They just don’t help much and are a ■■■■■■■ to keep taking cash out of it. Find a bag that has Velcro and clips (this will help you hear it being opened by pick pocketers) and one that also has a few Velcro pockets within it (for extra security). A simple small ‘Crumpler’ bag will do the trick.

OK, we are looking at upgrading our camera ready for an OS trip next year - what do my fellow blitzers recommend. We have been advised Fuji X-A1 Digital would be a good one, any other ideas

I like the Fuji X series cameras and for the price the A1 is excellent in many areas.. I assume you know its an interchangeable lens camera? The A1 is (or was) the base model of the X series. It is using an Aps-c size sensor which is a good thing - most SLRs use that size sensor. Basic rule of thumb is the bigger the sensor, the better the camera can handle higher Iso without losing detail. This can be really useful for a travel camera where you might be shooting handheld indoors. The A1 sensor isn't Fuji's top sensor but its good nonetheless. Jpegs are apparently very nice and it has a rep for managing image noise really well. ( I've used one in-store for a few minutes but haven't looked seriously at the image quality).
Fuji build great cameras for keen photogs, but their interface can be a little quirky. That said, the A1 has twin control dials which I reckon is a massive plus if you want to shoot in any mode other than full auto. I find having to delve into the electronic menus a chore, having essentials at immediate reach is better. Throw in the fact you can get different lenses and it could be a versatile little camera.
Negatives? Changing lenses in a travel camera probably means dust on the sensor. No a big deal but can be annoying. If you only have the kit lens, that issue vanishes, but then do you need an interchangeable lens camera? (Disclaimer: I have a Pentax Q with a 50mm (equivalent) prime lens only. I've never added to the lens collection for the Q. But that's largely because I'm still waiting for Pentax to make a decent wide angle prime. I like the camera because its small, so a big lens is counterproductive for my uses. Which leads to the next point..) The mirror less interchangeable lens bodies are great with shorter lenses but imo a pain to balance and carry with longer zooms mounted. They stop being pocketable very quuckly, i may as well carry my SLR's. And be very aware that whilst the XC range kit lens is OK,they only make two XC lenses and most of the really good glass ( XF range) will cost far more for a lens than your new camera body did, should you want additional lenses. On the positive front, samyang are releasing some cheaper glass in x mount and their stuff is pretty good as long as manual focus is OK by you. Basically, unless you are an enthusiast, a fixed lens might remove unneeded hassles.
As an outright camera, like most fujis, i reckon its beaut. But like all cameras, as djr said it depends if you like /need what it offers. If you are happy to stick with the kit lens (16mm-50mm is quite useful in range, though the aperture is slow, somewhat offset by its very low noise at higher iso's) and "zoom with your feet" then purely on budget its a good buy.
But so might be some other setups. If you are a bit more of a casual user, For $500 or so, something like the Canon (and I'm not a huge Canon fan in digital cameras) G16 should be considered. Sealed sensor, 28-105mm retractable lens, good manual control if you want it, reasonable compactness (not tiny) and adequate (for most) image quality makes for a pretty good "travel camera" IMO. Though I might wish for a bit wider at the bottom end of the lens range, lol.
Really, the options are endless. And yeah, I like cameras, probably far too much! And no, I don't consider a go-pro a camera.....sorry blummers, lol.

Is it difficult to learn how to use those professional cameras? I’d consider getting one one day, but don’t know ■■■■ about cameras.

“Professional” cameras aren’t even easy to define, tbh. Pretty much every camera has a “green mode” or “auto” that will do everything for you if you need it. Outside of that, there are then two areas to learn. One is basic photo principles like aperture/ shutter speed etc which applies to all camera work. The other is the specific functions and methods of how your particular camera works. Learning area one will make area 2 easier, but most of us never use all the functions on our cameras. None of it is too hard if you enjoy it, but would be tedious if you don’t have an interest.

I always recommend people buy a camera with manual controls, then its there if you get keen.

Is it difficult to learn how to use those professional cameras? I'd consider getting one one day, but don't know ■■■■ about cameras.

No.

Developing Raw files maybe.

I’m considering a manual camera. But want to start looking into how good the zoom lense is and work backwards from that. Or are they universal and attached to any camera?

Also, do they take video as well nowadays?

I haven’t used a manual camera since you had to purchase the specific type Kodak film for it (I.e. coloured filter), etc…

It’s on my list of things to buy in the next six months or so.

I’m not Exactly sure what you mean, blummers, so apologies if I don’t answerWhat is being asked.

If you mean buying a camera with changeable lenses then the simple answer is tjat each brand has its own lens mount and only lenses built with that mount will fit. Some lens companies (Sigma, Tamron) will build their lenses in versions for each major camera brand.

Yes, pretty much all current SLRs and compacts take video.

On zoom lenses, each brand have their cheaper lines (work fairly well in good lighting) and more expensive, top quality lenses. The longer zooms get quite expensive.

After a bit of research I picked up an Olympus E-M10 yesterday.

I wanted something similar to a DSLR but small enough that I can carry it around all day on my travels.

After a quick play yesterday this camera is perfect. The quality of the pics is great, and the features built into the camera make it on par with most mid range DSLR cameras.

It might be over the OP's budget at $900, but this camera should last me a very very long time.

Excellent , mate. I’d love to get an EM1, Olympus cameras have that retro look that appeals to me. Which lens comes with the E10 for that price?

Only came with a 14-42mm pancake lens. I just ordered a 40-150mm Olympus lens for $150.

I did like the look of the EM1 but the budget wouldn't stretch that far.

if anyone likes the idea of the EM10 (vandrs camera), Costco have them with twin lens (14-40 and 40-150) for $999.  not a must-buy-now price, perhaps, but a pretty good everyday price for a compact, slr-feel camera system.

1 Like

Thinking of switching systems from Nikon DX to micro four thirds to get a smaller kit for travel. I don’t use long lenses often, but need reach of 400mm ff or more for an upcoming trip to South Africa.

Specifically, I’m looking at a used Lumix G85 or a new Olympus EM-1 mk1. Price point is similar.

Anyone moved from DSLR to mft? Anyone used these bodies?

I got a Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ60 about four years ago and it’s great. It takes excellent pictures and is super easy to use in Auto mode, but there are all sorts of advanced settings as well. I carried it loose in my jacket pocket most of the time without any problems. It has a viewfinder which is a big plus when light conditions make the screen difficult to see, although the viewfinder itself is tiny and not all that easy to use.

I was tossing up between the Panasonic and the Sony Rx100, and eventually went for the Panasonic as being lighter and significantly cheaper.

Ive owned both. Excellent cameras. My em1mk1 got stolen. I still have the G85 (amongst other MFT bodies). Imo, the G85 is the best value buy in mft at the moment. As long as you want DSLR styling. Strongly advise that you handle both as the Oly is more angular, the Lumix more rounded. They feel very different in the hand.

The Olympus menus are a PITA imo. The Panasonic more logical. But you’ll learn the Oly eventually, and it has enough external controls that once it’s set up you don’t need to fossick through the menus as often.

Image stabilisation pretty even. Jpeg output id characterise as Olympus= bright and cheerful , G85 = moody and atmospheric. Shoot in Raw and it becomes irrelevant.

If you get the G85, I’d recommend getting it with the 12-60 kit lens. Weathersealed and very useful focal length and it performs pretty damn well.

Getting out to 400mm FF equiv is doable but you will have to decide size vs image quality vs cost. 300mm FF equivalent is much easier.

If I was going to South Africa , presumably for Kruger National Park etc, and photography was the main aim, I’d accept it’s going to be expensive and be buying the G85 (or G9/ Em1ii) and probably the 100-400mm Pana-Leica telephoto. Or you could get the Olympus 40-150Pro with the 1.4TC to give you 400mm FF equivalent. But budget constraints obviously key. Plenty of MFT users seem to like the Panasonic 100-300ii and it’s 1/3rd the price of the 100-400.

Fwiw, I have a PenF, Gx8, G85, G9 and my kids use my old Em5i. So I’ve a bit of experience with MFT now, and 80% of the time it is every bit as good as a larger sensor DSLR. Probably 90% of the time in travel mode.

Thanks Saladin, that’s very helpful & reassuring.

Yes Kruger. And I have my eye on the Pana 100-300 as a cost-effective option - I’m generally more likely to shoot street, landscape, candids & portraits so don’t want to over-invest in a long lens. Given the smaller sensor, I’d prefer faster glass for the DOF / ISO control, so my ideal would be a combo of the f2.8 / f4 zooms with a prime or two. The 40-150 + TC1.4 appeals, but I have assumed it might be might be a bit short for this trip - in DX terms this would be like 270mm I think. The 100-400 is a bit pricy for a lens that won’t get much use.

I tried the EM-1, EM-1 ii & G85 yesterday. The G85 felt nicer in the hand coming from a D7000, but the EM-1 was fine, so not a deal-breaker. I can pick up a new EM-1 with manufacturer’s warranty for $750, which is compelling. Otherwise it would be a used G85 which is a little riskier, though I’d do it if the camera is a better option.

One thing I noticed - the two G85s I tried both produced the occasional over or under exposed image. Is this a known issue? I was using aperture priority FWIW.

Also, I’m still getting my head around all the MFT jargon (DFD, IBIS, PDAF, CDAF etc) to try & understand the pros / cons of matching Oly lenses with Pana bodies & vice versa. Is this something to be concerned about? My understanding is that both bodies have IBIS, but the EM-1 may be more effective, Oly lenses may not have IS, the EM-1 has PDAF & CDAF, while Pana’s DFD feature only works with Pana lenses. So maybe the EM-1 offers a little more flexibility in lens choice? But I may have misunderstood.

Your thoughts welcome…

The Oly pdaf shows most advantage if you are using the old 4/3rds lenses (as opposed to the new M4/3rd lenses)

I’d say the G85 Ibis is just as good as the Em1i. I think the Panasonic single point AF is quicker, but the Oly may have a small advantage in AF-C.

The Panasonic can also 'dual IS ’ with many Panasonic lenses. The Oly lineup has few lenses with built in IS.

I haven’t noticed any serious exposure errors with the G85. I keep a histogram displayed on the EVf and often spot Meter off specific items in a scene so I may not be the best one to comment on general metering.

One thing I have found is that the two brands differ a lot in their Auto White balance reads.

Tried the G85 again today at Digital Camera W’house on High St, N’cote & was pretty impressed.

A couple of weeks ago I took some pics while testing a Tamron 18-400 and 100-400 with my D7000.
At 100%, the G85 with 100-300 was better wide open and at full reach than the 18-400 (as expected) and was not too shabby against the the 100-400, with a bit more smearing on high-contrast edges, but surprisingly good fine detail elsewhere. It also took an awesome portrait of the DCW salesguy.

So yeah, so far, so good. Wanna sell yours?

Everything has its price, lol.

Incidentally, i still have my Pentax K5. Same sensor as your D7000. That 16mp sensor is brilliant , particularly for dynamic range, and even 6 or 7 years from release there are few cameras that can match it for spread of dynamic range. It’s one area where the MFT cameras will be inferior. Whether that’s important to you or not is up to you.

Any thoughts on the GX85 as opposed to the G85?
On face value, it seems to offer the same smarts for a lot less $$, albeit in a rangefinder body without the weather-proofing.