Best Camera

OK, we are looking at upgrading our camera ready for an OS trip next year - what do my fellow blitzers recommend. We  have been advised Fuji X-A1 Digital would be a good one, any other ideas

If you don’t wanna lug one of those gianormous professional looking ones around look into a Samsung WB800F. Its what I took OS, can zoom up to 21 and can still focus. Obviously you need a sturdy hand when you’re that far in though.

Where you off to BM?

How long is a piece of string? We can tell you what we like but not what suits you…

I've been thinking of buying a camera soon as well. I've got my eye on the Sony RX100, which looks like an excellent compact camera, but can't decide if I want something with a better zoom (but more bulky).

There are so many choices and trade-offs that I get the feeling I'm going to have three or four different cameras in 10 years' time.

I purchased a Canon sx230 a couple of years ago for a trip, great camera, I use it all the time, if I was going to buy one now I'd get this-

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/astore/Canon-Powershot-SX700-HS-Digital-Cameras.aspx

I purchased a Canon sx230 a couple of years ago for a trip, great camera, I use it all the time, if I was going to buy one now I'd get this-

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/astore/Canon-Powershot-SX700-HS-Digital-Cameras.aspx

Yeah, they fit a lot into a smaller size now. I have the similar Canon SX130, which was an emergency side-grade from a broken-during-trip S5. Almost the same feature list but half the size and a third of the price, and boy did I appreciate that straight away. If you‘re a constant snapper and/or the type on the move, the best camera is the one you‘ll use and won‘t be a pain (weight) on the neck…
As a person who tries not to take things from boring angles, a flip screen is valuable… one of the few features I miss.

Yeah, I like to be able to put a camera in a coat or jacket pocket so I don't look so much like a tourist (read- easy target)

If you don't wanna lug one of those gianormous professional looking ones around look into a Samsung WB800F. Its what I took OS, can zoom up to 21 and can still focus. Obviously you need a sturdy hand when you're that far in though.
Where you off to BM?

Hopefully uk sept 2015, should have enough moola saved by then, we went to Italy last sept and loved it so much, we made a pact that we would do everything we can to go away again :)

Thanks for all your replies, more research for us to do!

What's your budget?

What's your budget?

500-800

I went to Africa in 2012 and was stupidly going to buy an SLR when the camera shop guy asked if I knew much about photography. I said no and he convinced me to buy a cheaper one piece Canon PowerShot SX40 . Easy to use, good enough zoom for some great distance pics, pretty good video and importantly works out most things itself. My wife is a flower nut and it takes great close ups as well. I took a compact monopod to steady it and it came up a treat to my eyes, although I suppose a "real" photographer wouldn't think so. Was around the high 400 bucks IIRC.

That salesman saved me money, space and heartache.

If you don't wanna lug one of those gianormous professional looking ones around look into a Samsung WB800F. Its what I took OS, can zoom up to 21 and can still focus. Obviously you need a sturdy hand when you're that far in though.
Where you off to BM?

Hopefully uk sept 2015, should have enough moola saved by then, we went to Italy last sept and loved it so much, we made a pact that we would do everything we can to go away again :)
Sounds good. I'm probably biased but Italy is just really a fantastic place for a holiday, isn't it? One of the best things you can do in life is travel.

If that was my budget I'd get something like a Canon t3i with a tamron 18-270mm lens, or perhaps the canon 18-135mm. You're gonna get much better shots out of a proper slr than any compact ever will. Just make sure whatever you buy you get a reasonable time before your holiday and put the time into learning how to use it properly before you go away, otherwise it doesn't matter what you buy you're gonna end up with poor shots. It's amazing how many people buy decent gear and have no effing clue how to use it properly.

"I shoot JPEG."

What bargey said.

I've been thinking of buying a camera soon as well. I've got my eye on the Sony RX100, which looks like an excellent compact camera, but can't decide if I want something with a better zoom (but more bulky).

There are so many choices and trade-offs that I get the feeling I'm going to have three or four different cameras in 10 years' time.

I have the RX100. You won't regret it. There is also the RX100-II and RX100-III. All are still available as they all differ slightly. RX100 is the 'basic' but don't take that as bad. RX100-II has WIFI and hot shoe and RX100-III is an upgrade on the RX100. Along with the features, the battery lasts all day long and it's not an inconvenience to take along everywhere with you and isn't a hassle to take in and out of a bag. 2 full auto modes then all the manual features you can wish for!

I went to Africa in 2012 and was stupidly going to buy an SLR when the camera shop guy asked if I knew much about photography. I said no and he convinced me to buy a cheaper one piece Canon PowerShot SX40 . Easy to use, good enough zoom for some great distance pics, pretty good video and importantly works out most things itself. My wife is a flower nut and it takes great close ups as well. I took a compact monopod to steady it and it came up a treat to my eyes, although I suppose a "real" photographer wouldn't think so. Was around the high 400 bucks IIRC.

That salesman saved me money, space and heartache.

I also owned the predecessor the SX30. It's a nice camera and the zoom is really really big! I used to carry it with me along with the RX100.

If that was my budget I'd get something like a Canon t3i with a tamron 18-270mm lens, or perhaps the canon 18-135mm. You're gonna get much better shots out of a proper slr than any compact ever will. Just make sure whatever you buy you get a reasonable time before your holiday and put the time into learning how to use it properly before you go away, otherwise it doesn't matter what you buy you're gonna end up with poor shots. It's amazing how many people buy decent gear and have no effing clue how to use it properly.

Yep, that's why we want to start getting one soon, as long as the user guide is in plain English, some of these cameras look like you need a uni degree to be able to operate them, I get a tad intimidated by too much technology!!!

Where you off to BM?

Sounds good. I'm probably biased but Italy is just really a fantastic place for a holiday, isn't it? One of the best things you can do in life is travel.

You are not kidding BG, it was the most magical experience we have ever had, just unbelievable, we were very lucky to be able to see such an amazing country, but there are so many places I still want to see in aus as well

Yep, that's why we want to start getting one soon, as long as the user guide is in plain English, some of these cameras look like you need a uni degree to be able to operate them, I get a tad intimidated by too much technology!!!

Canon's are easier to learn than Nikon's IMO. But I'm not just talking about learning the camera functions (you probably don't need to know 80% of that stuff), I'm talking about learning exposure theory and proper shooting techniques, that's much more important.