Big Sammy Draper - #1 ruckman now #2 (Part 1)

Mr Smith > Saints.

Can we give them Leuenberger instead?

I know it’s cold, but does Dodoro wear jackets in June?

We just give him 2 years on $300k and let him back himself in. He can then get 4-5 years on $600-$800k if he becomes dominant.

Way better than 4 for $1.7m if he has confidence in himself.

8 Likes

I saw him at the VFL. Wearing blue puffer jacket with at least one other underneath…

2 Likes

This is just St Kilda doing their usual “ offer buckets of fantasy money to someone - please don’t look at our coach or list”

Can they trade for him? - no- there’s only two blokes on their list worth that.
Is it a huge amount of cash - over four years? - no - assume Sammy is on our senior list at 200K year 1, 300K year 2, 400K years 3 & 4
PLUS bonuses for winning finals / a flag - Saints can’t offer that
Total maybe 100K less, and no guarantee of first ruck position
Finally, there’s no Matty Dea to visit him in hospital or Skippy to offer home cooking.

He ain’t going

1 Like

Saints meeting with Draper today.

A saints official had this to say “Sam being at Essendon doesn’t understand the rich history we have here at the Saints. Essendon’s 16 premiership cups pales into insignificance compared to our spoon collection which currently sits at 27. We have great plans to increase this collection over the coming years, but we have some competition from a persistent Carlton outfit who are making a late charge. Fark Carlton.”

Essendon officials are confident of retaining Sam, by offering future success, spongy floors and a truckload of cheaply imported furniture. Sam was close to debuting this year, until injuring his knee in the VFL.

John Worsfold had this to say about the young Ruckman. “Sam’s a fine young player still learning our game plan. Once Sam learns to play our game plan and begins playing our game the way we want to play our game, we will become a great team. To become a great team, it takes time, I’ve really only been in the Essendon job for 2 years, well actually more like 18 months, if that! Actually we brought in some new players this year, so it’s really only been 1 year, then we had injuries and don’t forget the learning and winning. We want to play a game of footy that wins a premiership without playing finals. We are on track to become a great team real soon. Everyone I speak to who knows what it takes to build a premiership team knows it takes time, look at Buckley and Hardwick, people wanted them gone, they look ridiculous now, we’ll not ridiculous but real silly. I’m confident our game plan will stand up and believe I should be given more time. We are still learning to become a great team. We have some great leaders at the club and some exciting kids who will play when they are in their late 20’s, because they need protection, much like our supporters who want fast success, but with me as coach for only 3 weeks, it’s hard to build and learn success with new players and Buckley, and strong leadership more time game plan play the way we want to play need more time”

Essendon officials had this to say “ “

37 Likes

I know he can’t walk to St Kilda as he would need a traded. Otherwise he would need to enter draft.

But can someone clarify how does delisted free agency work?

Is he technically delisted free agent if he doesnt agree to a new deal by 1 November? Like I said I don’t think he is but what’s the diff between delisted free agent and someone who is out of contract and has to enter the draft?

1 Like

We would be silly to entertain trading him to saints unless they offered a first round pick.
Which they won’t do.

But it forces us to main list him and probably offer 2 year deal @300k.

Should have been upgraded this year anyway.

Ruck wise there should be more opportunities here if the coach plays him.

And they have recruited ok rucks but not developed properly at saints - Hickey / Longer

Roman Marshall goes alright too and only young.
Hickey now at eagles

1 Like

Can’t see him going for the following reasons:

1. We gave him his chance and he is popular at the club

2. Saints surely won’t take that big of a risk on him as we would want a decent pick in return. They’ve recruited Hanneberry, Carlisle, McCartin and Max King who all have injury concerns like Draper

3. They just signed Marshall to a 3 year deal. Does Draper want to be No. 2 ruckman there?

4. Draper knows he will be our number 1 ruck once he’s played a few games when he has recovered from the ACL

2 Likes

Please no!!!

Essendon have done an excellent job at retaining players.
There is a clear path ahead for Draper at Essendon.
They should work it out.

11 Likes

how many peach rum dkp drink?

10 Likes

This is spot on. It’s a good offer for a kid coming off a serious injury that’s never played seniors.

If he wants to go I really don’t care, this club needs to stop being so stuck on particular players.

I get big guys are rare and hard to find, but they are not that hard that you blow big chunks of cap space on and untried tall coming off an ACL. What if he is like NicNat and does another next year.

optimistic…

2020…

Can someone explain the difference why some players when out of contract can choose which club to go to as they are a delisted free agent, whereas other players out of contract need to nominate for draft to be picked up?

Has it got to do with how many years they’ve been at the club?

The biggest difference is that at the time Jenkins left we had plenty of depth in the ruck department, this time not so much

3 Likes

Yes. The magic number is 8 years. If at that stage they are in the top 25% of paid players at their club they are a restricted free agent, meaning another club can make a financial offer to the player, but if their current club matches it the new club has to trade for the player. If they don’t match the offered salary then the player can just walk and the club gets a compensation pick.

Does that make sense?