Big Sammy Draper - #1 ruckman now #2 (Part 1)

ITS TIME

3 Likes

Rising Star here we come.

Human centipede a bit too far?

1 Like

Probably.

VFL Coach Dan Jordan is quoted as saying Sammy was “outstanding” on the weekend.

Big Sammy was already a good tap ruckman half way through his first year. It took about another 6 months to learn to take big grabs and kick reliably, then another 6 months to get the hang of positioning himself around the ground, now he is using his big body following up in the contest the way Gawn and Grundy do. I even saw him stepping an opponent in one of the practice games. He probably developed significant agility playing soccer so he might surprise some.

This bloke is very close to a debut now even though he is only 20 years old. However, it will take him a while to adapt to the AFL level, so there will need to be a period of adjustment. We really need to get him into the AFL side to share ruck duties with TBell as soon as possible so we get some overlap as a basis for the next 10 years at Essendon.

6 Likes

35 Likes

Imagine this place when they give hooker another week, bring in Myers, leave out Brown/Stewart and play all 3 rucks. It will be hilarious.

8 Likes

FARKING BRING

2 Likes

I feel he is at the stage now where he needs to be given AFL exposure so that he knows which areas of his game need working on and take his game to the next level. I dont think there is much more he can learn at the lower level competing against inferior opposition.

10 Likes

They must have read my post !

Here we go

Zac Clarke perhaps ballsed up his opportunity

1 Like

Get the big fella in!

2 Likes

BRING HIM IN

1 Like

If Tommy needs a rest, VFL bye week is convenient…

1 Like

Needs to be brought in, consistently dominates at VFL. Needs to experience AFL.

1 Like

Kind of agree.

I’d be happy for him to come in, get a taste for a game or two, even if he may get exposed a bit in a few areas. I think he’ll do fine at job number one, the actual tap.
Huge upside.

1 Like

Playing against Martin would be great experience for him, he’ll show him where to go and how to compete.

It’s time.

7 Likes

I’m trying to remember, did he play in the JLT games?

Played 15 mins in the last quarter against the Cats from memory.

2 Likes

Yep. Him and Ham came on right at the end.