Bitcoin, and other tulips

Hahaha, the things you can do in medical science nowadays :rofl:

It brings a completely different tone to the saying, " you are full of shi1t, doesn’t it?"

Compost is good stuff.

Us wildlife rehabbers have been doing this for decades. Young orphan joeys often have trouble digesting grass, a nice bottle of shitshake (it’s like a milkshake, but not quite…) sorts them out.

1 Like

can’t remember but does anyone from the blitz realm actually partake in the stock market, and or specifically day trading ? by any chance.

I do a little bit, but have held back for the last few months.
Have only picked up some GOLD.AX which is doing okay whilst looking around. Usually, when that starts heading backwards, I can dump it and be confident of going into other shares more freely.
Am waiting for Bitcoin to drop under $10k again. Spewing I missed out when it got down to below $7k.

1 Like

what markets/exchanges do you generally trade in ?

I mainly stick with the Aussie share market. Usually overlay a 50 day mean average and 100 day mean average on the charts to better understand the current trend. Means I sometimes miss a trend or don’t get in early enough, but it seems pretty good as a guide when looking into shares.
Have dabbled with US markets, and the lag time to transfer funds for buying and selling is too constricting. I use Westpac online trading, but a broker may be better off with international markets.

For Bitcoin, I use Coinspot. It seems to transfer money from an account instantly and I can trade any crypto currency for another one if I want. There are probably better ones, but that’s the one I found that has a good range of crypto currencies.

1 Like

Day trading lol BBOZ

No I just throw a small amount each pay into a ETF.
not that active in the market.

Don’t have the time.

2 Likes

argh ok, see i’m the opposite i got plenty of time esp atm haha
just lacking knowledge …
figure what better time to try and take it more seriously, well the learning what to do part now.

it’s interesting and intriguing, just not sure how it will work living in australia considering best markets to do it are overseas and the fees are just wow compared to overseas.

Be careful, very careful.

The market is very irrational atm, hard to learn in those situations as it’s not behaving logically.

People are chasing 100% returns in a week jumping from stock to stock, anything to do with sanitiser etc is crazy. Very easy to buy and be left holding a loss, when others have allready sold out.

Also musical chairs element, yes the market is down 20% but that only makes it around where it was a couple of years ago. When the music stops you don’t want to be holding. If this is the biggest recession in 90 years no way do we only have 20% declines.

If your still going to do it, only invest what you can afford to lose. As in go into it thinking you will lose it all.

2 Likes

Yep. Set stop losses and stick to them.
If it reaches it or even skips below your stop loss, don’t get emotional. Don’t wait for a rebound. Just sell.
I had a group of shares that peaked at $28. My stop loss was around $22. They skipped below my stop loss (happens often) and I held on hoping to get $22. I sold at around $18. They are now around $7. I paid around $2.50.
I would have still gotten good money back, but if I got emotional about it (as I was doing around ten years ago) I would still have the shares.
Set a price of what your willing to lose, adjust it weekly (or fortnightly) as you see fit.

2 Likes

I had a bit of a crack at investing in companies but the more I learnt about investing the more I realised my early purchases were probably poor choices. Went Blue chip early on - Banks/ Coles/ etc
had a few speculative companies, and bought a couple of high profile companies after heavy falls…and they fell further lol.

The market is so unpredictable. don’t think I would be able to sleep properly day trading. And you kind of need serious money due to brokerage etc. unless you get into options etc…

have a look at the whirlpool investing forum, there are a few traders on there. They do a lot of their work on the US Markets so are working crazy hours over night.

I think for me I’m happy to just get the market returns, hence my recent shift to ETF’s.

if your after investing podcasts these are good ones to listen to

• Investopoly
  • masters of the market - Chris Judd his last guest he had on - saved Tassal and was involved with Medical Developments and polynovo (David Williams)
  • Motley Fool (I wouldnt listen to these guys recommendations, but its a easy listen)
  • Animal Spirits - covers US Markets kind of but also covers life on general, these guys are both stockbrokers.
2 Likes

Thanks for the info guys :).
Definitely get all the caution people are saying.
at this stage putting actual money into anything is well off, at a guesstimate i’d say minimum 3 months before i’d put any actual money in it.

I’ve giving myself that 3 odd months, if not more to learn as much as possibly can about all the risks and rewards.

There inlies the hard part, finding the treasure amongst all the trash, but thanks for the starting points :slight_smile:

1 Like

I found the same. I bought when shares were on their way down thinking they’ll bounce back. Or sometimes double down on shares that have lost 50% of their value. But it’s tough to know whether they’ve hit the bottom.
Even when it’s bouncing up and down, I found it was tough to get the ones that would bounce up into strength rather than bounce down.

I try to buy when a share is on the way up. It means I am unlikely to pay at the bottom of the price but at least I’m buying with the trend. They don’t all make it, but a good percentage work out well (after around 5 to 6 years time).

I just hate it when companies split or change names. It makes for a real mess come tax time trying to track what name the share was at purchase.
Oh yeah. For me, dividends are secondary. I go for share price value and dividends are just a bonus.

Start a yahoo portfolio and play around with fake money.
Just put shares in a watchlist and buy $1k worth and see how you go.
Can be a bit of fun with no risk whilst you get a feel for the sharemarket.

1 Like

yeah i’d planned to trial an error on a few paper trades before any real money.

guess I wanna try and learn to read the patterns first before jumping in, even with fake money. granted doesn’t mean it’ll always work, but yeah i wanna learn what should happen and learn to make the right/good decisions, even if the trade would turn into a loss.

guess as i say about footy, get the fundamentals right and the rest takes care of itself (again even if it is a loss, as you guys say, gotta learn how to limit it best).

Yep get on a tailwind, is a good strategy with a good company.

1 Like

Okay…
So there is a ‘Bitcoin halving’ coming up soon.
What’s the go here?
There seems to be a big jump in price when this occurs (every 4 years).

Damn, now I wish I bought some more when they were $9k. I’m not sure I want to buy any at the $14k they are going for.

Happens every 4 years it reduces the amount of Bitcoin that can be created by half.

In the past it has lead to big gains in the price of Bitcoin, but people are figuring the price may have already consolidated on this halving, as it has had a lot more public awareness and media presence this time.

I suppose we will know in 4 days.

2 Likes

If you are looking for short term gains, there will be some sort of price jump with the halving, it’s just how long it holds.

2 Likes