Black Hole - 2006 Draft

Well what did you do in 2006 that's any good now?

I was a supporting act for international DJ's in 06
I got divorced.
Did I read somewhere you'd also had cancer? If so, you've had a rough time of it mate

Talking about drafts, has Hird recruited an indigenous player yet ... just saying? I know a couple of years back he and Roos reckoned the number of indigenous players could decline because of the way the games going these days

We draft football players not white or black people

Interestingly, can you say it was poor drafting or poor development in the most important years? In the case of Hislop and Reimers they were just tools. Gumby injuries, Davy has been serviceable. Houli was just poorly managed.

In the end I think Thompson is right and 2006 is just the reflection of a poor club overall.

I got divorced.
Did I read somewhere you'd also had cancer? If so, you've had a rough time of it mate

Being King of Bomberblitz balances it all out.

I got divorced.

I ate cheeseburgers in 2006 that taste exactly the same as they do now.

I got divorced.

I ate cheeseburgers in 2006 that taste exactly the same as they do now.

Probably time to throw them out then.

Ah yep, I remember 2006 well.

The "Bryce Gibbs" Cup. Now that's a laugher. I took my visiting cousin to that Carlton game where we wore red shorts and played to a draw. It played out in the press as "two teams that are so lousy neither one was capable of beating the other".

I remember some heated discussion about which tall was better, Hansen or Gumby. I remember pretty much everyone in the media being convinced we should have taken Loonyberger. And yeah, I remember everyone saying that we absolutely killed that draft.

Funny how in the end how much of a bust it turned out to be. That might turn out to be the most overhyped draft of all time.

can someone give the back story on hislop? b&f shenanigans etc? cheers

Our list is caca

Wut? 

We have our Full Back locked in for the next eight years minimum.

CHB locked in for the next five.

Heppell is 21.

Hurley is, unbelievably, 23.

Hibberd 23.

Let me put it another way:  it's entirely possible that the only players we lose to retirement in the next four seasons are Fletcher (as if!), Davey and Winderlich.

That's pretty...pretty good.

Oh yeah.  And Chappy.

can someone give the back story on hislop? b&f shenanigans etc? cheers

Allegedly was given a one-year contract before the B & F, went out after the B & F and got into a fight in the city, and the next day the club withdrew the contract.

I remember going to that B & F, seeing all the seconds guys hanging around in little groups but he was always on his own.

Our list is caca

Wut? 

We have our Full Back locked in for the next eight years minimum.

CHB locked in for the next five.

Heppell is 21.

Hurley is, unbelievably, 23.

Hibberd 23.

Let me put it another way:  it's entirely possible that the only players we lose to retirement in the next four seasons are Fletcher (as if!), Davey and Winderlich.

That's pretty...pretty good.

Oh yeah.  And Chappy.

This is the thing I don't get about all the ■■■■ Hurley gets. He's 23. Sure everyone wishes he was Wayne Carey, but he's not. I still back him in to be a very, very good player over the next five years. For a KPP, re. both age and games played, he is only just entering the definitive period of his career. 

I think you'll find that Reimers and Hislop are the reasons we didn't recruit a bloke like Garlett.

I remember seeing Hislop in a few games and I thought he looked like a decent player, but clearly after his year on our list and one with the Tigers he wasn't up to it regardless of his talent.

The way the game is today a good work ethic will get you further that ability.

And I still don't get why Davey cops so much crap here. He has good pace and is prepared to work defensively. It's not his fault that his team mates kick the ball over his head when he leads into space.

I think you'll find that Reimers and Hislop are the reasons we didn't recruit a bloke like Garlett.

I remember seeing Hislop in a few games and I thought he looked like a decent player, but clearly after his year on our list and one with the Tigers he wasn't up to it regardless of his talent.

He averaged about 11 touches for them and was thoroughly outshone by Nahas, Jake King, and Ben Nason. Must've given away almost as many frees as anyone they had, when he got a game which was only occasionally.

Always kinda thought the fact he was a peanut kinda outshone the fact that he wasn't very good at the game of football. I think people assume peanut = talented peanut, that or they were kinda sucked in by his bluff & bluster.

Hislop had talent. I just remember his attack on the ball. He would just contest which I loved.

Sometime 4th up in a marking contest and make the spoil.

Anyways. Was a ■■■■.

He’d try and contest

Charge in, raging bull

…aaaaand

Give away the free kick.

If that’s a talent then I’ll be getting drafted next year. Just ■■■■.

And that’s not even mentioning his disposal which was awful by hand and foot.

He had a dip though.

Wish some of our players had a bit more Hislop about them. Not the glassing people bit. But the mongrel bit.

So if Davey gets delisted, Jetta is the sole remaining survivor of the 2006 draft... could have won some good money on that...

Wish some of our players had a bit more Hislop about them. Not the glassing people bit. But the mongrel bit.

OK.

He was a crap version of Sam Lonergan.

And like Sam Lonergan, no matter how hard you go at the knacker, if you're not actually good enough to win it (where Sam Lonergan was really good) and then do something with it (which is where Sam fell down), you're not much chop.

What we really need is good, hard working, disciplined players.

One or the other isn't enough.

Hislop was tough and that was about it; could never find enough of the footy. The "poor man's Sam Lonergan" label is spot on.