Blatant cheating by umpires - “having a ‘mare tonight” (Part 1)

The commentators said “Yes it was high but you wouldn’t want to give a free kick in those circumstances. Good umpiring”

A minute later, the ball was in NM’s forward line, Lav makes incidental high contact to Zurhaar. The maggots of course give a free kick in those circumstances. Goal to NM.

8 Likes

The specific circumstances being ”Essendon”?

At least they were then consistent.

1 Like

Snelling obviously dropped into the tackle.

Hard to tell whether that ball was completely out with the Zurhaar one. Partly out, sure!

2 Likes

■■■■ me dead is Gerard Healy serious? Talking about how the Roos were robbed because Larkey missed out on a push in the back free kick in the last minute.

1 Like

Fixed and yes - he most definitely is!

2 Likes

I disagree. He was already low and stayed low. He didn’t go lower.

2 Likes

Partly out ain’t out. I had a pretty good view and it looked not quite fully over, and the tackle did end up on his legs. That was all fair. It was the Goldstein/Draper PIB inconsistency, and the Durham/McDonald tackled out of bounds inconsistency - and a plethora of unrewarded prior op tackles - that I found annoying.

I find myself feeling that razor is thinking ‘no one else would pay this, so I will’. I’m sure he doesn’t actually think that, but that’s what it feels like.

If both sets of supporters feel aggrieved, the inevitable bad decisions have probably evened out.

2 Likes

I don’t think it was even a push by last year’s standards let alone this year. Forearm low on the back in the contest and Larkey throws himself forward. Absolutely nothing it.

Caldwell non free in the centre vs Goldstein on the other hand…

The free against flip was absolute rot too

5 Likes

Raised the arm to slide the tackle up, as many other players do, and generally get paid high. Not this time, but I thought that was fair enough. Hate players doing that.

What did annoy the crap out of me was the North players leading into our tackles head first and being paid a free for it.

Umpires are so reactionary and seem to have very little feel for the game. Frustrating.

Of course. Sorry for seeming too subtle.

1 Like

Of course they haven’t got a feel for it. They have mostly never played the game cause they’re pansies

Interesting.

Doesn’t bode well for this week’s game…

I think free kick differential is more an indicator of how much a team plays outside the rules than how much favouritism they get. Usually it says more about the level of skill of the players in avoiding giving away clumsy frees, and the degree to which teams play ‘unsociable football’.

For example, Tigers fans complained for years that they had the worst free kick differential, so they were being picked on. But their players applied as much physical pressure as possible, and frequently hit opposition players hard after they’d disposed of the ball, and when they tackled head high, they tried to remove heads. They won a lot of games because their level of pressure was causing panic disposals from their opposition. So they gave away some free kicks, but overall, it worked for them.

3 Likes

And of course there is a big difference between getting BS frees in front of goal (like the maggots did TWICE in the last quarter to Zuhaar alone) vs getting statistical evening-uppers in the backline when the game is effectively over.

9 Likes

Would love to see these stats. Last year 2mp usually had 2 opponent basically scragging him before the footy got anywhere near him. Umpires ignored this for the entire year, whilst at the other end of the ground our defenders were stitched up at the slightest opportunity.

3 Likes

Tippa never gets the free kick for head high contact…

I think some situations and games or specific umpires are biased.

But over a year, free kick differential seems to often say more about a team’s execution skill and whether they play sociable football.

1 Like

We got Mollison this week

https://twitter.com/foxfooty/status/1666767931760607232?s=61&t=5JcL2PMclwuUwfYDnbGlRQ

Just saw the 50 paid against Gulden last night by Nicholls.

Pathetic from Nicholls. Tells him to stand, then tells him to move back and then half a second later pings him for 50.

From an experienced umpire it’s unacceptable. Should be dropped.

18 Likes

that’s ridiculous, had a big influence on the result too. there were two 50m pen goals in the last quarter.

3 Likes