Blatant cheating by umpires - “having a ‘mare tonight” (Part 1)

the umps pick and choose when to call a guy back 3 or 4 times and when to just ping em straight up. it’s a crock

3 Likes

Have a look at Langford’s goal against the Kangaroos. He marked it near the top of the goal square, and he sets the mark almost on the goal line. I was worried the siren was going to go just as Langford played on.

I think the umpire called stand to the swans player behind errol who then peeled off. Errol was over the mark, but not sure why the ump decided to penalise him considering he gave no time for the player to move back

They pick and choose who to penalise and who to let off

Thread should be called ‘Blatant incompetent umpires’

3 Likes

Errol knew he was standing in front of the mark he was trying to pinch metres.

yeh imo should have given him time to get back.
but don’t pretend it was a honest mistake from Gulden.

It makes a 50m shot a scoring chance to one outside range.

There should be a 20m penalty for this type of stuff. 50m is just too big a penalty for a player not moving a step back or running through a protected area.

3 Likes

imagine if they had a 25m penalty and a 50m penalty.

can imagine they would stuff it up as well.

In low scoring games 50m penalty’s are huge.
in high scoring games maybe not so much.

He yelled stand though, Gulden stood. he should’ve paid 50 as soon as Lloyd ran off the mark. Instead he asks Errol to retreat and pays 50 in the same breath

2 Likes

TBH, I’d hate to be an umpire these days. There are things that they now need to consider that they never did, like dangerous tackles and bumps. Butlers tackle was perfect and I mean perfect, but today there is discussion that he may be suspended for it. This is crazy.

I’d much prefer to see that a 50m Penalty paid that takes a player to the goal line on results in a player being placed say 20m out directly in front.
No more gimmes, a 20m kick should still result in a goal but it still requires the kicker to get the job done.

Yup the game is ridiculously hard to umpire correctly with all the current interpretations…this is why the holding the ball rule has become so frustrating…was there prior, was it knocked out in he tackle, was it dragged in, etc etc…all in real time whilst there’s 5 players on top of each other …

Needs a lot of simplifications…it’s funny that in most passages of play, there’s examples of players handballing (throwing, but accepted these days as handballing) in about 0.1 seconds…yet so many tackles where there was no prior and a ball up is called … with how quick they can dispose of it when they really want to, there should be no such thing as prior, and who cares if it’s knocked out in the tackle…

Something as simple as changing it to if you are tackled and do not handpass / kick to get rid of it, it’s a free… So many of the rules need such simplification…

On top of that, we really really need to start stamping out players that are playing for frees…start penalizing them, it’s even started happening with the dangerous tackles where players are laying on the ground holding their head after every tackle, as soon as no free is paid they are straight back up…

It’s strange that the rules allow for the players to attempt to “cheat” so often - or that the players are happy to drop to that level and try to win through what is clearly cheating. Not a lot of sports where it is rewarded so often as opposed to being looked down upon.

1 Like

It’s like the umpire was in a rush to get home. That was ridiculous.

It’s more like the maggot was arranging to get the result Gil wanted - after all, he has a million tickets to sell.

Could they at least start paying holding the ball when the tackled player has 2 arms free but still chooses not to dispose of the ball? How much more simple could it be?

3 Likes

Illegal disposal only exists with prior opportunity now, which i completely disagree with but that is the interpretation

1 Like

Is AFL the only sport in the world where umpires give players the benefit of the doubt with decisions?

For instance if a player tries to claim a mark and it bounces in front of him and then gets tackled, doesn’t get penalised for holding the ball.

If a balls touched and the player pretends he didn’t hear the call, doesn’t get penalised for holding the ball.

Player accidentally on purpose deliberately puts the ball over the boundary line but “hid it well enough” doesn’t get penalised.

I just can’t think of another sport like it.

Just when I think I understand the HTB rule the umps change the way they interpret it against us. So many times this year I’ve seen our players get the ball, have no prior & then the ball gets knocked out in the tackle. I thought that was play on but we get pinged for it all the farking time. Again against Nth there was one right on the boundary when our player (thinking Caldwell maybe) picked up the ball & was tackled by Thomas straight away who knocked the ball over the line - HTB payed against us. A few minutes later Wardlaw get the ball has plenty of opportunity to dispose but chooses to take on the tackler & then drops the balls once tackled. Not only was he not pinged he was then free to regain the ball & go again. Its farking frustrating. It basically gives players confidence to take on our tacklers at every single contest knowing they are highly unlikely to be penalised unless its really really blatant.

2 Likes

And there in lies the problem. Interpretation. Remove as much need for that and the game would be in a far better place.

1 Like

I’m going to put it out there:

Since hiring Brad Scott who used to run the umpiring division for the AFL, I haven’t cracked the ■■■■■ about the umpires once.

I thought the VFL umpiring was really biased against us on the weekend but I haven’t had a single AFL game this year where I thought things were unfair.

8 Likes

Agreed. How much more enjoyable is it watching when you’re not holding your breath every time the whistle goes and not all of the 50/50s go against you?

2 Likes