Blatant cheating by umpires - “having a ‘mare tonight” (Part 1)

Flaming love it

1 Like

There very nearly was in the section I was in.

Best

11 Likes

Have heard a rumour up here from my Sauces that is was one of those “grey area”/judgement calls that umpires have to make and Gill reckons they are doing a very good job.

This was an absolute howler of a call.

2 Likes

So the goal umpires are ‘blatently cheating’ now too are they? Lol

Watch out, soon the AusKick kids will be conspiring against Essendon at half-time too.

1 Like

Mate, all the umpires were in on the feel good Gold Coast win fairytale last night. It was contagious and clouded their decision making whether conscious or not.

Learn some basic human psychology will ya.

1 Like

People in here just can’t handle how bad the situation is in the whole league.

6 Likes

I dont for a second buy into a conspiracy but what you cannot do is dismiss the appalling state of umpiring as a whole. Field, goal and boundary are all making shocking errors.

Make errors at the level they are making them in any job and you’d face serious consequences.

11 Likes

Nah I think most do. Its horrendous.

Mind you the Rampe goal post and the disallowed goal from last night is diabólical and unexcusable.

I think AFL goal umpires might have made those errors in the past. The technology highlights it even more though.

That Zacka missed goal I cant comprehend. It doesnt get much clearer. Rampes incident just never happens and you would think will.never again.

1 Like

I’m a bit late to the replay, here, but was that Dwayne Russell who sarcastically said “cue the outrage”? What a ■■■■.

6 Likes

Yep and the meeting of mensa minds lynch and johnson took the ■■■■ the whole game will SHOUTY DWAYNE days “ohhhh haha don’t rub it in”

2 Likes

Pretty sure they know how bad it is, but they can’t say anything.

With Gil at the ground, a sleeping giant making a charge for the finals, almost derailed by an amateur.

Seems like there’s half as many cameras and half as many frames per second at that ground than elsewhere.

Anyway, still won, hopefully destroy port this week.

I think the umpires have been told not to ask for reviews to take some heat off the score review panel and now they’re in panic mode and secnd guessing themselves.

5 Likes

The goal umpire leans away from the goal line to try and keep the ball to appear not to have crossed the line. Even if he was not fully aware of his actions, he was basically barracking for a the ball to not cross the line, which in itself is blatant cheating.

2 Likes

Extraordinary.

1 Like

Edit:

The AFL is reeling from an umpiring blunder and a dodgy rule complication that saw Essendon’s season teeter on the edge against the Suns.

Essendon star David Zaharakis says the AFL should apologise to his club over the extraordinary umpiring howler that very nearly robbed Essendon of a win over the Suns on Sunday.

The goal umpire’s failure to spot the moment Zaharakis’ set shot sailed over the goal line before Suns defender Chris Burgess tapped it back into play with just a few minutes left in the tight finish on the Gold Coast was followed by Fox Footy cameras showing pictures of AFL boss Gillon McLachlan with a pained expression on his face as the replays of the umpire blunder was shown on the big screen.

McLachlan was likely contemplating the fallout from the incident in the third quarter when the on-field umpires failed to call for a review of the Zaharakis kick that replays showed sailed a clear foot past the posts.

With no reaction from the watching goal umpire, play continued, meaning no review was possible and the goal wasn’t given.

Thankfully for the official — and McLachlan — the Bombers struck two goals in the dying seconds of the match to ■■■■■■ a 10-point win.

Speaking to Fox Footy after the game Zaharakis said the AFL needs to clear up the rules surrounding when score reviews take place.

“If we had’ve lost by two points there it wouldn’t have been good,” he told Fox Footy.

“I’m sure we’ll get an apology on Monday. I thought when I kicked it that it went through, but then you look up and see the crowd reaction.

“It’s an interesting one because they can’t review the live play because the umpire thought it came back into play and obviously you can’t stop the game to review it.

“It’s an interesting one that they’re going to have to look at.”

Essendon coach John Worsfold admitted the incident had left him perplexed. “My only understanding from that is that the umpire believed it stayed in and it’s just play on,” Worsfold said.

“He didn’t call for a review because he was clear on what he saw. “If the umpire’s made an error — I’m not sure where the rules stand around stopping the game to review something when it’s play on.

“If the ball crossed the line, it’s an error and there’s nothing we can do about it and on we go.”

1 Like

Just remember, all umpires grow up involved in footy, but none of them ever had favourite teams.

12 Likes

Can you please copy and paste the text?

1 Like

How does what one player (Zaharakis) said equate to “Bombers demand apology”??

13 Likes

Gotta love the commentary box response to the free against Gleeson in the square:

“well the Suns have had their fair share of bad luck this season”

Like, what the fark?

21 Likes