Boat thread

Must be a few boaties on here. I’ve been learning to sail in recent years, mostly with my own relatively cheap 25’ trailer sailer in Qld. Am dreaming of something bigger, but my only previous boat was a 13’ power boat, so I’ve got plenty to learn yet (and money to earn). Would love to know people’s experiences, mistakes, successes and recommendations with sailing and/or “stinkboats”.

Hope this thread doesn’t sink. Ok ok, sorry but someone had to… *jumps overboard.

Whatever floats your boat.

Ok, I’ll settle for pirate jokes.

■■■■■■ landlubbers!

Thread needs more Boaty McBoatFace.

I get sea sick quite badly, ■■■■ boats

3 Likes

Is this the pirate metal thread?

You know, I’ve never partaken in Pirate Metal.
The keytar is more surprising than the dwarf.
The latent homosexuality, not so much.

BOAT…is this a downgrade for Nathan Lyon (now to be known as Best Of All Time)

BOAT clearly trumps GOAT. I mean, greatest could just refer to largest and, well, size isn’t isn’t everything (as I might mumble when when visiting a marina)!

Seriously? 11’posts without this one?

3 Likes

Harbour, safe, something something, not built for.

1 Like

Thread is accurately placed in the General Gibberish forum.

Fair bump, but seems to make more sense than starting a new thread.
Have taken up what I will liberally call boating (kayaking) and am starting to invest in safety equipment (and know how) to start venturing off shore (if I can overcome my fear of the ocean I hope to paddle from Sale to Mallacoota in 2-3 years time).
Anyway, I’m going to do Marine Radio training but was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere I could buy waterproof cards with instructions? Otherwise I’ll just make some up myself (print & laminate then throw on a key ring to attach to my PFD).

I’m an old salt but more offshore (and inshore) sailing and only cruise from time to time nowadays. I did radio comms accrediations amd oceanmaster level etc years back. In terms of safety waterproof cards there must be some out there … I’d first ask around any local sailing club and maybe join them as lots of experience can be got with like minded boatees, sail, motor or paddle.

Maybe give this lot a call too and ask as bet if they haven’t got a ready set to sell they might know who has, or how to best go about it.

Best of luck … and have a great trip etc…

1 Like

Haha, dredged up from the depths indeed!
Print and laminate sounds like a good idea, but you could try Whitworths - they have an endless array of stuff.
Unfortunately I suffered a nasty back injury so ended up selling the boat. Did some great trips though and haven’t written off the possibility of getting another one one day.

3 Likes

The Paynesville Coast Guard run/organise the radio comms training so I’ll probably just ask them when I do it (presuming I’ve had no luck searching in the meantime).

1 Like