Bomber myths debunked

There was no poeerpoint.

Dima did his whole presentation to the board though interpretive dance. He aalmost got the job but stuffed up the piroutte

7 Likes

Yes and we all know Knights got into trouble by playing JJ and Pev and Lloyd for a few too many years.

It astounds me anyone gives this rumour any credence, given what actually happened.
There’s plenty of legit stuff to bag Knights about without making stuff up.

1 Like

Was it one of Liz Lukin’s minions?

1 Like

Settle down Mr Angry Pills, I didn’t say I believed it.

I was just saying, that was the early story… Then came the PowerPoint story… That’s all.

But for arguments sake, I don’t reckon Hardwick’s desire to cut the list was necessarily in regards to the top end of the list.

2 Likes

Possible, from memory the only real calls he made when he got to Richmond was trade out Jay Schulz; Coughlan and Kane Johnson had already retired. A year or two later he started picking up everyone else’s old blokes, Cousins and Polak et al.

Knights was brought in to do a particular job - axeman. He did that. He had huge failings as a coach. But he defintely cut into the list. It led to his undoing.

1 Like

Cousins and Polak were when Wallace, was coach.

Chaplin, aaron edwards, Maric, grigg, etc etc etc.

He definitely did trade in some spuds.

I watched last night and the impression I got was that he couldn’t start the laptop and had a shocking presentation as a result?

The story wasn’t that he forgot the laptop, it was he had the presentation on his Hawthorn laptop, and they found out and told him he couldn’t use his company laptop to apply for a job with another company.

1 Like

And THAT’S why they’re winning flags and we’re not.

5 Likes

Knights got rid of 19 main list players over three drafting / trading seasons. [ Edit That is based on comparing the players that played in 2007 with the players that played in 2010]

I think roughly 10 of these were retirements. The others included guys like Richard Cole, courtney Johns, laycock, hislop.

Hardly the axe man. Most clubs would have about 5 changes a season I would have thought. West coast made 12 changes (incl rookies) in 2017. As did freo and GC.

He also got rid of several thousand members and did a fair job of cutting crowd numbers. I will never forget the anger in the room when David Evans fronted the members in the Laureate room late in Knights last season.

Knights lost the players. There are likely specific reasons why, but at the end of the day that was the reason that I felt there was no choice but to move him on.

He wasn’t the first or last coach to lose his job as a result of that.

Still waiting for EFC to come out and say that they are more powerful than the Essendon Lawn Bowls Club.

5 Likes

Knights didn’t cut or trade out the list until he pushed Lloyd out, two years after he took over. The strong rumour was at the time of the coaching decision that Knights talked up the list and the board lapped it up. Remember, this was the same board who had only removed our goal of being in the finals every year, a year or so prior.

I don’t know what the truth is, but given the behaviour of the board at that time, that Hardwick had just been with Clarkson through a pretty thorough clean out, that this rumour seems perfectly believable.

Michael Quinn rucked in the Adelaide final

This is a blitz created myth that never happened

1 Like

Michael Quinn missed the ball trying to kick a goal on the goal line. I wish that was a myth.

1 Like

And yet Jj, Peverill and a few of the other old blokes were under the impression they were playing 2s all year. Weird.

woah… what?

I’ll admit, I’m drunk, I’ll admit I read 2 sentences… But knights moved on Pev and JJ and Wood…

Did not read past this quoted post, ■■■■ you and ■■■■ reading