Bombers, Resurgence as a powerhouse club!

6th to first?

I’d be happy if Essendon actually get to 6th!

2 Likes

Does that depend if we get there via a wk 1 finals win and a wk 2 loss, or a top 4 finish and out in straight sets?

Any of those

I’m just worried that the heading has a question mark! :grimacing:

We’re not as far off as the modern day persecution-complex Bomber fan would have you believe.

2 Likes

What do you want from me?
You agree, but you take the ■■■■.

At least you’re not as verbose as dkp, who doesn’t think Lloyd is a leader, other than that he met other leaders so I guess he must be, but that post was along the same lines.

If it’s not what you think then maybe don’t say it?

It IS what I fkn think,. . that’s why I fkn said it!

Sheeds ALWAYS thinks that’s the answer.

And he’s for the most part, … right.

1 Like

At least @ me properly. @stander2

Also my post got some likes, so I think some people enjoyed it for what it was. A joke

1 Like

So all we need to find is three club legends and someone that can’t do spreadsheets

2 Likes

I think we’re where we’ve been a few times in the last 15 years, waiting to find out whether this bunch of 20-24 year olds are going to be bad, ok, good, or great. I’ve honestly got no idea how to tell which way it’s going to break this time. The football department seems to be a little bit more in line with what the rest of the comp does at least, which probably doesn’t hurt.

1 Like

There seems to be a marked change in the footy department this past pre season. Murphy will be a great appointment IMO. When Worsfold moves on, I’m confident the Rutten regime with Caracella as senior assistant will also be good. I think we will see a distinguishable brand from our players.

It’s unfortunate that the season was halted when it was, despite the poor final quarter against Freo, I think we saw a glimpse in the 4 matches we played (4wins), all of which will be wins. I truly believe we’re on the right track now. 2021 & 2022 should see the fitness program & game plan be second nature. It took Hawthorn & Richmond 3 years to develop those habits but the early signs are good.

My only concern is the collective mindset which IMO is what Lloyd was trying to say but communicated poorly. The mindset that last year was a success, while making the finals is what every team sets out to do, to be smashed in familiar fashion cannot be a success IMO, no matter what the balance sheet says. We will only really know about the collective mindset when the matches are being played and the way we perform when under adversity. In the recent past, we’ve folded like a cheap suit and while there’ll be some point to the Geelong and Freo matches where we had decent leads and just held on, I’m more inclined to be glass half full on that because we’ve lost multiple times in that situation recently, the Xavier tweet game being a classic example, 5 goals up in the last qtr and rolled by the bottom side on our home deck.

9 Likes

Don’t worry Rama2000 I have been on the receiving end of DJR thread title edit in the past. My bad.
But more recently it had become possible to edit the thread title if you created it.

I’ll be more confident when the ? is replaced with an !

1 Like

You probably think there should be an apostrophe as well.

1 Like

Personally I think a semicolon would be a nicer piece of punctuation to add.
As in
Bombers; Resurgence As A Powerhouse Well-Capitalised Club?

Ummmm… a colon fits there, not a semi-colon.

3 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out. Please fix.

Still has a ? I think it was @wimmera1 who pointed out the danger of ? in a heading.

I do agree with your general view, but if you review history and look at “powerhouse” clubs, some stay up for a very long like Hawthorn has for a few decades and Sydney have been up there for a long time as well. Most other “reigns” last for a period followed by a decline, sometimes for a very long time like Fark Carlton and the bombers since 2001.

In most cases the decline start at Board and Management level, and in Essendons case I put the matter direct as a result of actions taken by Peter Jackson, Managing Director of Essendon Football Club from 1996 -2009, and a Board who let him run amoke. Some may say that the Saga was a bigger disaster, but in my view it was also a due to the non-systems and poor governance that Jackson and the CEO that followed him put in place.

Talk to Sheeds and any of the players around the early 2000’s and they will tell you of the disruption to the Team losing needed players due to salary caps issues bought on by poor management.

So while I will always argue that it is the on-field performance that counts, you can never build a strong bridge if the foundations are suspect. While I think that Xavier Tanner and the current Board have done well financially and delivering resources, there is still that worry that the focus is not on winning a sustained period of flags.

7 Likes

Am on the same page but i have heard Xavier say he wants to “finish his job and win a flag”

I think hes been great for us and gotten us through the saga, even the AFL was impressed and wanted him to possibly become the CEO of the AFL.