Brad Scott probems to sort out (Part 1)

Nah. Too young. Too many high-falutin’ ideas. There’s only one man for the job…

Bring back Worzel !

He’s really given very little away to the media and general public, but he has talked about developing a ‘world class’ training programme several times, and from what I’ve seen of it, he’s got the players practicing the things we all knew were missing, field kicking, repeat sprints and medium distance running all session, and we’re starting to see work happening on delivery into forward 50.

He can say what he likes to the press, but as long as he continues to work on this team’s weaknesses, and on individual’s strengths, I really can’t see how we can go backwards.

I’m prepared for this process to take years, but I also won’t be surprised if we see some fairly quick improvements too.

20 Likes

True…It may take a few years to refine a new style and standard. But I’m expecting an improvement bump based simply on just how ■■■■■ we were for large parts of this season just gone. And the levels of fitness and intensity in recent training reports. Seems an air of quiet confidence from Brad, and the team vibe seems much better. I bet he’s discovered there’s some true nuggets of gold inside Tulla which he hadn’t expected, and with decent additions to the squad and his coaching staff we might even start to see some real development payoffs come end of year…

But I’m not going near lid off this time. 2022 burnt me 'cause we were a basket case from R1. Started so badly and with a tough draw sank like a stone. Confidence suddenly zippo and fitness and gameplan atrociously inept (how did Truck let that happen I still wonder). Then suddenly we go on a run, beat Saints, Swans and Lions. A few others … should’ve beaten Collingkwood but then fold up shop for the last 3 games. Real Jekyll and Hyde stuff.

So for mine just more consistency, intensity and far harder to beat is all I ask from BDB and the boys in 2023. And a bit of Bomber flair of course.

11 Likes

Well said - agree with all thats been said above by a few people - Its so critical in today’s world that we have a strong media performer as the head of the organisation with all the scrutiny from multiple angles (mainstream/ social/ commentators…etc), think finally we have someone (Hird was unfortunately in the wrong time) after sheeds who can control the media jokers and hopefully bite his tongue when he needs to.
One would expect BDB is now the perfect prototype Coach (or manager) where he focuses on all the externals and man-management + guidance in terms of strategy…etc and provides air cover for the assistants to do their job in terms of day-to-day coaching. This is possible given his hybrid exposure to both coaching & stint at the big office.
The main thing we need over the next 2-3 years is stability off field with the board/politics etc - because once we hit the success button - there wont be any political impacts…the momentum will automatically take the team forward.
Go bombers.

4 Likes

Hope we play finals and win one fark this “it’s going to take time we are rebuilding” etc i want us to prove the naysayers wrong we shouldn’t put a limit on what we can achive.

7 Likes

I just can’t wait for the match day faces when the umps throw a bewildering decision our way.

He will project what most of us think in that regard.

5 Likes

Against Geelong

1 Like

I reckon he won’t be as animated as he use to be having come from working with the umpires at the AFL.

Interesting in the Caldwell interview he said they have been learning a lot of new set ups and structures, which kinda flies in the face of Scott saying that they will decide on the gameplan come the new year. I’m glad to hear they have been doing some tactical based stuff though, i was concerned they might be leaving the teaching too late, as the season starts in March.

2 Likes

RE Scott, also playing down everyone and everything which is pretty smart, looking forward to see how he approaches the situation when we’re 10w & 3L going into the break next year…:wink:

6 Likes

Are you going private to see the little men in the white coats or are we footing the bill

There’s been many a time I’ve enjoyed a nice meal out only to be on my knees puking it up four hours later.

You have a strange obsession with commenting on peoples mental health in a pejorative manner.

I suggest you try another restaurant, going back to the same one, isn’t working out very well for you.

1 Like

Bring on the the BS!!

Will they be getting one of these sprays after a dismal performance …

1 Like

Scott must be ruthless with mediocre Dons

article in HS, can it please be posted by a subscriber if it’s worth a read.

Thanks.

Vindicated :wink:

1 Like

Scott needs to play down his expectations.
He has no idea how this group reacts to things.
We have some good players, but also some deficiencies.
I think we can play a exciting brand of footy, but also be more defensive focused, at times we might have a spare behind the play to stop the easy joe the goose over the back and down the wing open goal.

He needs to accept mediocrity?

not a subscriber but its not worth a read, its just 4-5 dot points on what each club needs according to journos.

ESSENDON

1. Return Andrew McGrath to half-back

The 2016 No. 1 draft pick spent significant time as a midfielder this year, but looks most at home as a rebounding half-back. The Bombers have other options to play onball.

2. Get more games into Massimo D’Ambrosio

The mid-season draft pick from this year can play and is already impressing in his first AFL pre-season. He deserves some more opportunities next season.

3. Bring back integrity of selection

There were Bombers players getting senior games last season when their form and on-field actions didn’t warrant them. New coach Brad Scott must change that.

-Chris Cavanagh

11 Likes