Brad Scott probems to sort out (Part 1)

Thanks @barnz

1 Like

Can’t imagine Rutten gave Hind a spray like that for attitude when coming off.

Let go of the past”: Buckley’s advice for Essendon in 2023

By Jack Makeham

Collingwood great Nathan Buckley believes Essendon need to focus on the future in order to bring stability to the club.

The Bombers are coming off the back of yet another tumultuous year, finishing 15th on the ladder and ending the season by firing coach Ben Rutten.

In Buckley’s view, the instability at the club can be traced back to the 2012 supplements saga.

“As a club they’re still recovering from 2012, it sort of feels like you’re sort of reeling from one imperfect situation to the next,” he told SEN’s Dwayne’s World.

“I think leadership has probably been as tough there as anywhere, they probably feel like they were hard done by by the AFL.”

With the club having experienced relatively little success in the previous decade since the saga, Buckley’s advice for the Bombers is to move on.

“The job that Essendon need to do is just focus on being as good as they can be now and then ‘alright let’s get better tomorrow and then better tomorrow’, that’s how you get real good,” he said.

“That’s how you fight your way through situations that you can’t control, just look after the things that you can.

“It’ll take a step-by-step and they’ll have to let go of the past.”

Buckley does believe that the Bombers have gotten off on the right foot in order to move forward, endorsing the appointment of experienced coach Brad Scott.

“Brad Scott has got a wealth of experience and that’s going to be required and needed,” he said.

“(He) is probably a really good appointment in that regard to let go of the past because he has been nowhere near it.”

The Bombers will be desperate to show signs of improvement under a new coach, having last won a final in 2004.

5 Likes

15 years of it!

1 Like

This is proof of two things on the Herald Sun website.

1. They re label the same article with a new title, i read this article the day before with a title ‘what does your club need in 2023’ or something like that.

2. EFC get more clicks than just about any other sporting club in the country. I have heard this before, but to pick out a tiny section in an 18 club analysis and re label it to look like an ‘Essendon specific article’ for clicks, is a bit sad. I was actually ■■■■■■ off when i opened it a second time and realised it was the same crap i read the day before.

13 Likes

sort of
sort of
probably
probably
probably

I think Bucks is pretty spot on. When the Saga broke l recall saying on here that this would completely change the trajectory of the club and our culture, and further to that l wouldn’t be surprised if we spent 20 or more years wandering in the football wastelands. The Saga knocked the club off balance and it only now feels that we are recovering. The recent upheaval looks then to be an attempt to deflect our trajectory back towards the course it should/might have taken if the Saga hadn’t happened along. Of course, this all remains to be seen, but at least we aren’t looking for a cheap fix anymore. #nomoreshortcuts

18 Likes

And about thyme too.

18 Likes

I read a herald sun article and it turns out it was written by a herald sun writer for a herald sun audience and this is, apparently, someone else’s fault!

How can we possibly be past the saga when Sheedy’s still on the board, fighting to #standbyhird ?
Moronic.

It was cringey at the time. Its pathetic now. Lets move on.

The only time I hear about Sheeds or Hird is when someone in here moans about them. Move past it.

4 Likes

Rutten was a nice guy, which is why standards were never set.

4 Likes

Spot on. I recall David Parkin saying it would take 10 years, similar to Carlton’s salary cap bizzo

1 Like

you really need to move past this. its like holding a grudge, it just causes pain to you and the other person. being angry that we’ve been bad solves nothing

Has it been this long?

Feels like only yesterday.

The new coach cumin in should help. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a dill…

6 Likes

That’s because it’s pre season, we haven’t lost a game yet

Doesn’t mean sheedy isn’t still rustling around in the background.

who ■■■■■■■ cares

Because sacking the coach doesnt fix every issue.