Brad Scott probems to sort out (Part 1)

One of the more interesting I’m looking forward to see is who is the player he rates( that others don’t) and keeps playing, and who is the player( that people rate) that he just doesn’t see anything with and doesn’t play.

All coaches have them. Interested to see who they are for him.

14 Likes

From an outside…really outside…perspective I would think he doesn’t rate Sqib type players, afraid of the contest, so MOST OF THE MIDFIELD are on notice.

So yes the midfield selection will be interesting, the backline and forward line KP are limited so not that much choice.

Any way who hoo lets see what BDB gives us!!

2 Likes

My early pick

Who Brad doesn’t rate that others do: Ridley

Who Brad rates that others dont: Kelly

1 Like

I’m keen to see if he makes last minute team changes as he did at North Melbourne.
For memory, he was notorious for using emergencies.
He also didn’t rate possessions at VFL level. I recall Ben Jacobs and Mason Wood gathering decent possessions many times in a row and they still only get named as an emergency at best.
Although…
Jacobs and Wood weren’t exactly the kind of players Scott liked using. North had more of a skew towards tough contested footballers, than fast, athletic ‘outside’ footballers.

1 Like

sounds like at the very least we’re going to get a different style of coaching

My picks

Who he doesn’t rate: mass

Who he rates: laverde( who I don’t think is best 22 anymore)

1 Like

I thought Ben Jacob’s was about as tough as they come. Pretty much best tagger in the league until he had to retire

Edit…I see he was delisted. Still, my point stands.

1 Like

I had already rated them that way already, been a Kelly fan

1 Like

Massimo will replace Hind

Brad loves players like Laverde who give 100% every week i dont see him getting dropped imo

3 Likes

Who Scott rates but fans don’t: Heppell (will play him every week if fit I reckon)
Who fans rate but Scott doesn’t: Someone like Baldwin or Voss - I reckon there will be a period where they perform in the VFL, but not get picked.

1 Like

So nothing changes then.

He was a tagged in his final year. Then injured and barely got back.
There were two or three years there when he was played wing / half back flank and he was consistently racking them up but rarely getting call ups.

Interesting exercise. Take Geelong, name which of our players would be picked in their side and who would be dropped.

Probably even Merret would have trouble getting a game there. Darcy Parish, no way.

1 Like

In any case, Scott will need to work out a complex puzzle, to either match up he strengths of the best players to develop a game style, or pick a game style that will beat the greatest number of teams, and select best players to execute it.

I suggestTruck proved that with current group, the first option results in a team thats not competitive.

Neither Worsfold nor Truck could make adjustments to the game plan to be competitive, so, thats Scots challenge.

1 Like

I feel like if he is as volatile as some of us and if sees a sqib type player, cosst to coast, disgusting red time goal, he’s going to shoot rubber bullets at the player/s.

1 Like

I hope Scott still has that temper of his and not gone soft like worsfold did later in life.

3 Likes

Coaching even the past 5-7 years has changed heaps and some of the reasons being are generational attitudes of the athlete.
Coaches need to instil belief with a focus on building confidence and being positive not looking at the negative and coaches need to learn to refocus athletes on the next structure, play or set, whatever the task or sport.
Secondly coaches need to maintain the focus on teachables moments rather than lecturing this is due to reducation in attention span or the need for instant gratification.,

Coaches rarely pull apart an individual in front of group now a days as it has an adverse effect on the individual being targeted and the group mentality of the millienials are where the others hear the attack they go into their shells and protect themselves or mates which can cause a reducation in production levels across the group and the coax loses trust.
Balance and being open minded are the key qualities of a good coach.

3 Likes

Wood was anything but a tough, contested ball player.

And a coach like that has got us no where.

Our players have coasted and been culdled for far too long. Redman said it today “if you don’t play your role in the team,you don’t play” it’s about time we got a coach who’s not afraid to install some tough love.

If a current player cant take a bit of criticism or being yeld at by the coach for not doing the team thing then they shouldn’t be playing footy.

1 Like

Tend to agree.

Although I’m not sure Shiel coming in was any sort of negative - co-incided with the injuries to Fanta, Joe and Dev.