Brad Scott probems to sort out (Part 1)

The wins over Hawthorn, Gold Coast & GWS are looking better by the week.

3 Likes

True, and the guy breaking that trend and rectifying it is actually speaking about the past issues.

Pretty validating for the supporters.

1 Like

It’s a good point and it’s also improving our disposal efficiency.

1 Like

My favourite quote from the press conference: “My job is to be ruthless”. Just what I wanted to hear from an Essendon coach.

32 Likes

Nah.
I ignore that now. We played the Saints at their peak. If we played them this week, we’d win that game. We played Melbourne at their dip. If we had them last week, it would be a different story. We played Geelong at their peak. Get them now and that would be a different story. It is what it is.
Every week the opposition can beat us if we drop off and they raise their game. Ditto against the better teams. We can win if we raise our game and they drop theirs. That’s footy. No games are a gimme anymore.

8 Likes

Brad’s got the team playing with belief and confidence. And it’s a team effort rather than individual star performances. We’re building cohesion better every week and now starting to get good players back. Should be an entertaining year.

2 Likes

Hey essington, Scott sees you, you can’t hide from BDB

4 Likes

Belief and confidence? In themselves?

I don’t think the team are at that stage yet.

I do think they’ve bought into BDB as their coach though.

3 Likes

How could you not buy into BDB. When he talks he is clear and concise. He doesn’t talk in riddles or use cliches, he’s honest, open, believable. If I was playing under him I would be absolutely thrilled to have a coach with a high footy IQ who communicates so well, but also has that intimidation factor. You get what you deserve is the best thing to say to the players. Zach Merrett is the ideal player to captain us too. We have a coach and captain now who seem aligned with extremely high standards and work ethic.

25 Likes

Rutten - one of the worse coaches to ever walk into our club. Worsfold not far behind him.

2 Likes

It looks so much better from the outside, what BDB is doing. And all this in contrast to Parish’s comments that Truck and the coaching group last year would look for answers as to why we were getting beaten week in week out, and weren’t able to provide much clarity and direction to the players.

I really do think year two is the year you find out a lot about the coach and their playing group (I.e. Truck 2021, Voss 2022 in contrast to the following year) but I do feel optimistic.

2 Likes

His team selections are far from ruthless though

1 Like

Has he demonstrated that yet?

Our skill improvement is also a by product of playing some tempo footy and running a decent game plan. We were under constant siege under Truck.

Even last night they had the maturity to go at times but also slow play and take uncontested marks to gain territory. It’s good to see.

1 Like

I’d take Rutten over Worsfold every day, every time, without question.

I can work with a guy who is at least trying.

11 Likes

people that suck air through their teeth are worse than worsfold.

At least we don’t hear the word learnings every week. Infuriating when there doesn’t seem to be a lot of learning happening.

Voss loves the term nourishment.

i like that brad listens to the question gives it 5 seconds then just starts talking about whatever he wants.

8 Likes

Yep, they absolutely have. At the 3qtr huddle, not one single player looked away from BDB was saying. Yet, players looked totally disengaged under Woosha and Rutten.

2 Likes

I disagree about Melbourne. They’d come off 2 comfortable wins when they played us and they won the 2 games after that. They were missing Gawn but they had Oliver and I don’t think anyone else meaningful was missing.
They’re missing Oliver now and definitely aren’t going any better

5 Likes