Brent Stanton, I applaud you

Will represent the players at CAS

oh i forgot

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The misconception about that incident is still funny.

Stanton was never really boo’ed. people cheered at him being subbed off. Otherwise it doesn’t work cos the instigator of the reaction was him being subbed out of the game. If he was boo’ed cos he was subbed wouldn’t that suggest anger at being subbed ?

It’s semantics to a degree I know, and it was still a stupid thing to do.

Its true, the incident never happened as now reported, that ‘he was booed off the ground with concussion’. It was a bronx cheer and no-one knew he had concussion because the sub happened over half-time and was announced on the scoreboard 10 minutes into the third half. The bronx cheer was still undeserved and poor form, but every group of supporters do that, i recall scum supporters bronx cheering henderson getting subbed after doing nothing all game, and Tiger supporters jeering reiwoldt for kickig a junk time goal after going missing all game…

Boo-urns.

Who’s urns?

MckURNan?

I’ll get my coat.

Boo-urns.

Who’s urns?

MckURNan?

I’ll get my coat.

Noice

Handled that interview magnificently. Steely, concise responses in contrast to that reporter who nervously mumbled something essentially suggesting “Hird has put you in the ■■■■, why do you guys still like him?” - to which Stants proceeded to calmly just shut him down and declare how close and united the playing group and coaches are and hat Hird will lead them to a flag- beautifully done.

Handled that interview magnificently. Steely, concise responses in contrast to that reporter who nervously mumbled something essentially suggesting "Hird has put you in the ■■■■, why do you guys still like him?" - to which Stants proceeded to calmly just shut him down and declare how close and united the playing group and coaches are and hat Hird will lead them to a flag- beautifully done.

It was awesome how he didn’t even pause for a second to shut down the Hird question. Perfectly done

Fkg Stanton

oh i forgot

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Stanton was never really boo’ed. people cheered at him being subbed off. Otherwise it doesn’t work cos the instigator of the reaction was him being subbed out of the game. If he was boo’ed cos he was subbed wouldn’t that suggest anger at being subbed ?

Its true, the incident never happened as now reported, that ‘he was booed off the ground with concussion’. It was a bronx cheer and no-one knew he had concussion because the sub happened over half-time and was announced on the scoreboard 10 minutes into the third half. The bronx cheer was still undeserved and poor form, but every group of supporters do that, i recall scum supporters bronx cheering henderson getting subbed after doing nothing all game, and Tiger supporters jeering reiwoldt for kickig a junk time goal after going missing all game…

I thought it was cos he chipped a bone in his shoulder, may have been concussion too, cos he missed a week cos of it, then came back and played injured for the rest of the season.

But yeah always thought the same, that it was a bronx cheer cos people thought he was subbed due to having a stinker in the first half.

has anyone said much maligned yet?

Can see why Hirdy handed him the number 5 at the end of his career. A great leader.

oh i forgot

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

It was ■■■■. Was one of the very few times I’ve been embarrassed to be a supporter, or of my fellow “supporters”.

Stants has been magnificent this year. His disposal is better than ever (and it was always pretty solid) but he’s added a defensive element to his game. Still can’t run anyone down ever, but I’m willing to wear that. When nobody else is running you can always count on Stants to find space.

He’s a ■■■■■■■ champ. People like to ■■■■■ about where this playing group is now but at our lowest ebb between 2000 and now Brent Stanton led and carried this team with class and an insane amount of pure effort on the field. Still obviously leading just as strongly and deserves every bit of success the team can muster. An excellent servant of Essendon.

I thought he was finished at the end of last year.
This season he has played very well and I’m glad to be proven very wrong.
Seems like a top bloke.

A magnificent servant of our football club.

Look back at the 2003 draft - it is a train wreck for all clubs.

Stanton would easily be in the Top 5 players from that draft.

Brent Stantons Career to the nuffies.

(when he kicks a goal)

“about freaking time you did something Stanton!!!”

(Drops a mark)

BBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

(massive defensive spoil)

“Oh yeh pops up every now and then, where’s the consistency!!”

(kicks a goal)

“XXXX set it up, he’s just on the end of good team work”

(Delivers to forward lace out after three running bounces)

“Daniher made that play with his lead, I could have kicked that to him”

One day, everyone will appreciate how much he does for this team. Freaking champ.

Handled that interview magnificently. Steely, concise responses in contrast to that reporter who nervously mumbled something essentially suggesting "Hird has put you in the ■■■■, why do you guys still like him?" - to which Stants proceeded to calmly just shut him down and declare how close and united the playing group and coaches are and hat Hird will lead them to a flag- beautifully done.

Sounds like he was well coached / prepared for the answers. That must come as a bit of a shock for the MSM who think they are smarter than the players and will be too slick with their questions. Well answers can be slick too. Stick it to 'em Brent. #standbystants

A magnificent servant of our football club.

Look back at the 2003 draft - it is a train wreck for all clubs.

Stanton would easily be in the Top 5 players from that draft.

He’s very close to the best player of that draft over the period of his career. The only contenders could possibly be (it was a wipeout of a draft):

Pick 1: Cooney
Pick 2: Walker
Pick 3: Sylvia
Pick 5: McLean
Pick 11: Waters
Pick 13: Stanton
Pick 15: Mundy
Pick 33: Adcock
Pick 48: H.Shaw
Pick 55: Fisher
Pick 56: LeCras
Pick 61: Rischitelli

There’s literally no-one else of any note (hence the inclusion of McLean in that list).

At the moment, Stanton is clearly in the top 3 players from that draft along with Cooney (won a Brownlow), and Mundy (currently on fire). For consistency of output across his entire career though, Stants has both those players covered I reckon.

I feel that Stanton is a victim of the ‘hope’ syndrome. I would compare that to players like Watts or Vickery except that Stanton is in a different league to both those players. However he was drafted to a club that was used to success and looking for the next ‘James Hird’ to lead us to glory.

Stanton was thrown into the fire straight away due to the lack of midfield available and it meant that he did a lot of learning on the job. He was also burdened with the most famous EFC number in recent memory. I think that culminated in supporter expectations being spectacularly out of line with a) Stanton’s skill and b) the difference he could make.

I’ve always felt that Stanton is a very solid B+ midfielder and that isn’t meant as an insult. I think when he is in top form he is A-. This should be enough, along with his exemplary years of service, to see him highly regarded by supporters and I think he is getting that now. Unfortunately some lingering effects of his first 3 seasons remain and that stops him getting the recognition he deserves.

Stants is one of the blokes that deserves to play in a good team and deserves some success to reward an excellent career.

Stants is a gun. He did have a poor final last year but everyone is due to have an off game every now and again. He has been one of our better players throughout this year. Let’s hope he continues the good work.