Building your first home

They’re pretty skinny stumps!
Sure they’ll hold up the house??

4 Likes

Hmmm. I hadn’t thought about that. You really don’t think they’re adequate?

I’m still waiting for the blooody building permit. The application was lodged 5 weeks ago. On Thursday the building inspector said he needed more drawings and an additional engineering report. Quite why he couldn’t have said that a couple of days after the application was lodged I don’t know.

1 Like

It looks really big, actually.
Is that your land either side?

Especially for a “weekender”.

1 Like

It’s not big. 1500 sq mt of land. 2 bedroom house. One bathroom, 2nd toilet in the laundry, which is bigger than normal because it will be the “mud room”. It’s a kit home, but to my floorplan. Two walls of Hardiplank, two of Colorbond.

2 Likes

And so does his house plan.

Understand your perturbation, dealing with Councils and the paperwork involved is a real labyrinth. In NSW you can get a private person to do the inspections and submit the paperwork and even that is complicated.

Do your best to stay calm as you can and hope it doesn’t take too long to get it happening.

Are you have the colour bond tin horizontal or vertical? NO I am not being funny, I live in a tin house. If you have the tin horizontal it gets very dirty and needs sweeping. Having it horizontal that doesn’t happen.

Traditionally the walls will be vertical and the roof horizontal (or not far off it).

1 Like

Sorry, what I meant is how you attach the tin onto the outside of the house - sideways or long ways.

Did you consider the air cell insulation as well as sarking paper and batts for insulation? It is the cheapest part of the build and will you save you heaps. We used our air con five times in the past few months and we had a bit of a heat wave happening up here and that’s because of the insulation and the way we built the house to capture the breezes. Saved a lot of money on heating and cooling.

The thing we didn’t do and I wish we had have when building was to have whirly gigs on the roof with internal grids which open and shut from the inside. The beauty of tin is cool down quicker and easier to heat up.

Yes i understood what you meant.

Building code is a lot tighter/better on insulation and energy efficiency these days. My joint was built in the 90s, high ceilings, open plan and lots of windows, costs a ton to heat and cool.

It’s a private building inspector. The Council are even worse.

Vertical. I thought it made more sense for rain run-off.

Not the roof, I was speaking about the walls.

So was I. The roof will be Colorbond laid in the normal way; two walls will be clad in Colorbond laid vertically, not so much for cleaning as for ease of water run-off.

A question about LPG gas v electricity for a cooktop.

My block has electricity but no gas. Therefore my options for the cooktop are a) electricity; b) LPG gas; or c) wood.

I had ruled out LPG because it would be too expensive, but recently I read of someone living outside Hobart who has an LPG cooktop in a permanent home for a family of 4 and uses an 8.5kg gas cylinder about every 3 months. That seems incredibly low to me, but does anyone here know whether it’s reasonable or not? It’s cooktop only, but even so it seems not very much for a family of 4.

induction is king if you have the pots/pans for it.

1 Like

All else aside, do you prefer flame or electric? I hate cooking without flame, personally.
Regarding LPG… I run a 6-hob BBQ about 6 times on a bottle, so maybe a month worth for daily 1/2 burner cooking is no far off.

You can get diesel induction cookers now. Keep your gas bottles on the BBQ topped up in case of emergencies if you plan to go all electric. In the event of fire one of the first things to go off is often= the power. That’s why its good to have other form of cooking.

We’ve got LPG cooking and hooked the bbq to the same bottle. Lasts us 1 year. We’ve also got a gas heater but haven’t used it. It costs us under $90 a year for a 70 litre bottle. Solar HWS and Solar panels on the roof. Our last power bill $17. That includes the service daily availability charge of $1.80 per day.

lpg. Always.

There is no substitute.