Business of Sport

Accountability, governance, transparency, probity, consideration of the purpose of the sport.
The system of the old VFL needed reform, but it went too far in concentrating decision making in the hands of a few, locking in most of the media, turning the clubs into franchises , owning their websites, investigating themselves, cronyism including in regard to careers In AFL administration, , blackballing anyone who steps out of line, faceless and seemingly compliant Commissioners, when the CEO gets to vote on their decisions.
The AFLPA is dependent for its existence on AFL funding.
Where for instance is there an external audit of the indigenous program, AFL concussion program, player health, the extent of ownership of player lives off the field?
These aren’t unique to the AFL, but it is accountable to no one. When do we ever gat public records of meetings of Commissioners for instance? They have no public profile, give the appearance of ticking off the decisions of a few in AFL House.

The Boys Club.

1 Like

Blackest day in Australian sport seemed to get things moving

2 Likes

the german 50+1 model is pretty interesting.

Yeah, went way beyond the ICC report of PEDS in sport and criminal links ( ICC mandate), including gyms where they are most prevalent and where criminal elements most entrenched.

It is and it’s a brilliant league but they still lose plenty each year to the cashed up leagues unfortunately.

1 Like

yeah i really like how the clubs do have an identity emblematic of their fan base. i hate how everything owned by american companies ends up being a marketing students wet dream

2 Likes

so the new nrl team is just going to be called “the dolphins”

why are australian sporting leagues so fkng sht at branding??? fks sake

1 Like

It’s not a new club, it’s a suburban club moving up a level.

Already exist as a Brisbane based League Club.
There was something about them growing the game on the Gold Coast, but they will continue to play mostly at Lang Park.
The GC Titans fell over a while back and folded as an NRL team.
Seemingly the Dolphins business plan has it all, going to grow the game at grass roots, including for the girls on the GC.
NRL must be terrified at the GCS success in bringing Australian Rules to Southern Queensland.

Really?
Could have sworn they played this year and will be in the comp next year. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Do you mean the Chargers who disappeared back in the mid 90’s?

2 Likes

Not Titans, got them mixed up with the Seagulls ( family were members at the time)

1 Like

I liked the fact they were going to be Redcliffe, the only one called something besides Brisbane.

Dolphins is OK for a nickname though, could’ve been “Tidal Force” or “The Warmth”.

1 Like

yeah i know

but they aren’t playing as the “redcliffe dolphins”

just “the dolphins”

western bulldogs
western united
north kangaroos
northern fury
western force
the dolphins
vodafone warriors
south dragons
wests tigers
giants netball
southside flyers

why are they all so allergic to establishing a simple, identifiable geographic identity

3 Likes

What about the Cowboys in cattle country?
And Melbourne Storm?

the north queensland cowboys?

the storm… are named for and located in… melbourne

the rest are all named as the result of some conceptual marketing exercise, and not “we are here”

also none (that still exist) have remarkably large and/or affluent supporter bases

1 Like

here’s a discussion question out of all that i suppose…

what is the most successful (use any measure you like) professional australian sporting team/club/franchise that was founded/established in the 2000s?

I didn’t realise that.

That seems dumb.

NZ breakers.
This might not be a very good answer, but I think it’s correct.

Victory?
Successful, good support relative to others and seem to be run well financially