Calder Cannons v Western Jets - a look at some EFC VFLW-listed players

Yassir effortlessly dodges two tackles in the middle and pumps it forward. Prespakis pinged for a late tackle there.

Prespakis four more disposals in a few minutes.

Gillard towers over the fullback. Get it there, quick!

Prespakis kicks from 51 to top of the square. Gillard can’t mark but taps it forward to advantage and a goal.

32-14

Jet in front of her opponent takes advantage of a well-weighted kick.

Poster!

1.9!

Gillard back in the ruck.

Gillard big pack mark at the defensive fifty.

Ella Tyson for the Jets roves one off the back of the pack and actually converts.

32-21

Friswell a great tackle on the wing. Ump on the wrong side to see the eventual throw.

Yassir rams her jaw into an opponent. Will not die wondering… but may die.

But she is up and wins the next stoppage for an inside fifty by foot.

Gillard casually grabs the ball out of the ruck and handballs to a teammate.

Full time.

Calder win 5.2.32 to 2.9.21

Yassir limping a tad upon exit from the rooms… I suspect that is normal given how she throws her body in!

1 Like

Would need dedicated Crowley Watch to understand why she gets relatively little of the ball; but when she does, she is slick.

Prespakis will slot straight into our midfield. She’s not 100% skilled but can play inside or outside, and will do damage especially via her kicking. She certainly knows how to get the ball: averaging 23.5 before today, third for the league. Snell is averaging 19.6, as a comparison. Prespakis is also third for tackles in the league, and is first in handballs.

I love Yassir’s craziness in the packs, and she was pretty composed outside them. Is averaging 17.3 disposals (but was notably less than Prespakis today). Probably brings less new aspects to the EFC team, given we have elite tacklers and pressure players in Nanscawen and Ugle.

Friswell had some nice cameos, but I’d label her Yassir-lite with less of a death wish.

Gillard would be one of the tallest rucks in the VFLW, but she was not a massive standout height-wise and certainly not weight-wise in today’s game. A few very nice taps to advantage today, but her standout talent today was her work at ground level. You’d almost not be afraid to handball to this ruck while she is stationary. Still pretty light but if you don’t take her seriously you’ll be in trouble. Not sure if she played less time than usual today.

Saw Lennox after the game; not sure why she didn’t play in defence today.

We might not have the mass influx of quality players that some VFLW teams will get over the coming month, but we can definitely improve the squad as a whole. Will be competition for spots, especially in the midfield.

Photos (as always, ignore what the link shows up as):

Friswell waits for the ball to come down:

Crowley somehow distorts the space-time continuum to not look 175cm tall:

Gillard appears to be at the other end of that wormhole, and is enlarged:

I bet the one on the bottom regrets tackling Prespakis: