Camping

Not keen on it personally but feel I have a duty to expose children to the experience. Presumably we will be staying in a place for a few days rather than the pitch n hike type of trip. Caravan park stays + the more remote bush camp and beach and/or river camping. Any tips on the essential kit required for gittin’ out there? There’s so much to choose from. And quite a difference in pricing. What’s required and what’s superfluous?

1 Like
But that's what camping a about really for 99% of people that go isn't it?

Go camping, and then wish you were someplace else

Nah.
I love it, mate. Sounds of the bush, a crackling fire, a couple of drinks, and yarning with the boys, while burning up some meat. Heaven.

Wife and kids?

Game changer…

When I was kid my family used to camp at Wilsons Prom for two weeks in Jan every year (I’d be surprised if there weren’t other Blitzers that did this every year as well). We used to take a roll of hesian and spread it on the ground and peg it down to keep the dust down. Worked a treat, and we always had the tent flys extra secured. Probably my favourite childhood memories are from the Prom. Surfing, bushwalking, the open-air cinema, chasing girls, riding bikes. Planning on taking my family for camping down there later this year. I even proposed to my wife down there, sitting up on the big boulders at Pillar point watching the sunset. Who says romance is dead?

1 Like

Yep^^. And while most flies when you’re camping are a pain in the ■■■■■, the one you set over your tent is crucial.

I have a couple that would survive a cyclone & I never leave without them.

One over the tents, & one for some shelter in the campsite.

On camping in general, I’m a big fan, however after 20 years in the Army I can appreciate the difference in doing it rough in the bush and relaxed holiday camping. We’re spending this Easter down at Cape Otway with a few other families with kids the same age as ours which is always a great way to keep the kids out your hair (“go ride your bikes/play in the playground - see you back here for lunch/dinner”). Camped at the campgrounds at Buchan Caves last Easter - toilet/shower facilities, bbqs and open fire facilities, a small shop for ice-creams, etc, town just up the road for other stuff as required, bushwalking, cave tours, cave stream-fed pool (freezing cold, but very refreshing). Beautiful spot.

We’ve got a good-sized 4-room tent from Anaconda and a thick, queen-sized Dune self-inflating therma-rest style mattress. Almost better than our normal mattress. Like I said, no need to do it rough if you want to relax and it will fit in the car. Cook a lamb roast in the cast-iron cooking pot, some beers, ciders and red wine, great times!

And always, ALWAYS site your camp layout with a mind to where the water will run to if it rains. Better yet, prepare drainage trenches around your tents before it rains. Otherwise, you will almost certainly be rained on and get soaked as you desperately try to divert all the run off that is washing directly under your tent and washing away everything you neglected to pack earlier. Hence the Aldi fold-up shovel for $4.

Stay away from the snow chains and toboggans though, the chains are poor and some resorts don’t allow them as they have a historical tendancy to break, cause accidents and tear up tyres and cars. The toboggans break easily apparently and the plastic that snaps off gets into the waterways when the snow melts and it doesn’t break down. Also banned at many resorts.

In my experience, it’s unlikely they sell stuff that wasn’t up to scratch 2 years running. Should check them, they’ll likely be different altogether from the year before.

I've bought a lot of stuff at Aldi, 2 laptops, the one I'm on now is 6 yrs old & hasn't missed a beat really. It's giving me grief lately with a video conflict somewhere which causes out of the blue, non blue screen crashes, but considering it's never had a re format in all that time, that's the idiot typing's fault.
That's been my experience with pretty much everything there, it's top-class for the price - and their warranty service is great.

Bought some snow gear from Aldi, it’s not bad. It’s not absolutely top of the line stuff, but when you’re paying about 60% of the price of the bottom of the line stuff from anywhere else, it’s great value. Technically both mine & Mrs AP’s Aldi stuff is our backup stuff, but not by much. And if you’re outfitting little buggers, easily the place to go.

Yep, pretty much all my snow gear has slowly beed replaced with Aldi stuff over the last few years. I got a snowboard jacket last year that was $60. Sealed seams, excellent zips, high quality material, fits great and keeps me very warm. It was replacing a $350 Helly Hansen jacket that saw noble service over 10 years, so even if I only get a few seasons out of the Aldi one it will be value. The goggles I got from there are the best fit I've ever had and the lenses can be changed in and out in about 2 minutes. Brilliant. I'll probably get the snowboard pants this year and then I will be Aldi head to toe (minus my trusty helmet). For the price they sell at, they represent great value, especially for the kids who grow out of stuff every few years. Apparently the Aldi Snow sale Saturday is their busiest day of the year, so plan ahead and get in when they open the door. I'm surprised they don't do it twice.

Stay away from the snow chains and toboggans though, the chains are poor and some resorts don’t allow them as they have a historical tendancy to break, cause accidents and tear up tyres and cars. The toboggans break easily apparently and the plastic that snaps off gets into the waterways when the snow melts and it doesn’t break down. Also banned at many resorts.

On Aldi camping stuff, I’ve got their fold-up washing bowls, rubber floor mats, tarpaulin and the fold-up shovel. All have been fine, except the shovel no longer folds up as the screw-down bracket is jammed, but it’s still a shovel and it cost $4, so, meh.

Aldi should be opening up over here later in the year. Hagel unsere Deutsch Meister!

I've bought a lot of stuff at Aldi, 2 laptops, the one I'm on now is 6 yrs old & hasn't missed a beat really. It's giving me grief lately with a video conflict somewhere which causes out of the blue, non blue screen crashes, but considering it's never had a re format in all that time, that's the idiot typing's fault.
That's been my experience with pretty much everything there, it's top-class for the price - and their warranty service is great.

Bought some snow gear from Aldi, it’s not bad. It’s not absolutely top of the line stuff, but when you’re paying about 60% of the price of the bottom of the line stuff from anywhere else, it’s great value. Technically both mine & Mrs AP’s Aldi stuff is our backup stuff, but not by much. And if you’re outfitting little buggers, easily the place to go.

Nah.
I love it, mate. Sounds of the bush, a crackling fire, a couple of drinks, and yarning with the boys, while burning up some meat. Heaven.

Wife and kids?

Game changer…

Nope.
‘Wife’ doesn’t really come along often. Kids are grown up, and when they do come with me, they enjoy it.

Nah.

With kids nothing is superfluous lol

I have an aversion to camping. Our school was sadistic, and decided we had to participate in duke of ed. 13kms of hiking with a massive backpack. Sucked absolute ■■■■.
Then the following year, we gad to go again for the hell of it. No toilets for one night. 16 year old BG thought she’d not drink water and be ok. That evening it was cold and raining, general bowel movement encouragement weather. Had to get up in the middle of the night, walk down a hill with torch and toilet paper, and figure out how to farking not ■■■■ all overmyself as I wasn’t experienced in squatting toilets (am still not). 20k school fees, and you risk ■■■■■■■ in your own shoes. Fark off.
Anyway Digs, sorry I have no tips.

‘camp’ in a cabin.

I have an aversion to camping. Our school was sadistic, and decided we had to participate in duke of ed. 13kms of hiking with a massive backpack. Sucked absolute ■■■■. Then the following year, we gad to go again for the hell of it. No toilets for one night. 16 year old BG thought she'd not drink water and be ok. That evening it was cold and raining, general bowel movement encouragement weather. Had to get up in the middle of the night, walk down a hill with torch and toilet paper, and figure out how to farking not ■■■■ all overmyself as I wasn't experienced in squatting toilets (am still not). 20k school fees, and you risk ■■■■■■■ in your own shoes. Fark off. Anyway Digs, sorry I have no tips.
Don't apologise. And in the next life, if we cross paths I'm going to ask you out.
'camp' in a cabin.
I've got away with that up until now. Can't get away with it any further.

And I thought I was soft lol . . .
Fwiw I just got back from 8 days ‘camping’ in New Zealand
Between 2 of us we had a Ford Courier ute thing, 1 blow up bed, 2 sleeping bags 2 cups, 2 bowls, 2 spoons, 2 forks and a portable gas cooker
We’d stop at a servo/supermarket in the morning along with a ■■■■■■■, go hiking during the day, find somewhere off the road to pull up and sleep then repeat the next day

If you’re going to an actual camping site with power, shower block and bbq (seems pretty standard for most) the bare minimum I would recommend is

• 1 tent per 3 people (bigger ones are harder to put up and more prone to failing)
  • Either 1 double inflatable bed per 2 people or 1 single per person
  • 1 pillow per person
  • 1 sleeping bag per person
  • 1 electric air pump for beds
  • Fridge
  • Plastic/tin cups, bowls, knives, spoons and forks
  • 1 fold out table
  • 1 chair per person
  • Power board and extension leads
  • At least 1 torch per tent if not person

Also consider that if you don’t have a huge fan or 4x4 with roof racks you’ll likely need a trailer

Camping, love it and all its varieties. i think for the novice camping family the most important things to get right are the following:
Caravan Park or bush? Both are great and have positives and negatives. Caravan Parks have the facilities, in the bush you need to bring everything for yourself.
Tents or Cabin? Tents are fun for the first night but if it is cold, wet, hot or sunny - it can get messy. Cabins are a safer option and give more choices if the weather is changeable.
Toilet facilities, to share or not? Some cabins have ensuite facilities, if not, then the shared toilet block is the only place.
River or beach? Shed loads more insects around rivers but they can be amazing places esp up around the Murray or Goulburn rivers.
So many great places to go to and a heap of fun, but you need to know what you are prepared to compromise on, that will dictate where you end up going.

Camping, love it and all its varieties. i think for the novice camping family the most important things to get right are the following: Caravan Park or bush? Both are great and have positives and negatives. Caravan Parks have the facilities, in the bush you need to bring everything for yourself. Tents or Cabin? Tents are fun for the first night but if it is cold, wet, hot or sunny - it can get messy. Cabins are a safer option and give more choices if the weather is changeable. Toilet facilities, to share or not? Some cabins have ensuite facilities, if not, then the shared toilet block is the only place. River or beach? Shed loads more insects around rivers but they can be amazing places esp up around the Murray or Goulburn rivers. So many great places to go to and a heap of fun, but you need to know what you are prepared to compromise on, that will dictate where you end up going.

He’s done cabins before and wants to go tent for his kids

For introductory trip(s) a place with a shower/toilet block, site specific power and a rec hall with BBQ facilities is a must imo

Just take them to Tidal River/Wilsons Prom. Get a cabin. Good facilities there. Get a small older style cabin…parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks/wilsons-promontory-national-park/things-to-do/tidal-river-accommodation
There’s also Waratah Bay/Walkerville/Bear Gully for another alternative. forums.kombiclub.com/threads/bear-gully-walkerville-south-free-camping.26519/
Second time, head up to Howqua and tent it for 1-2 nights.
Third time if you get that far, try somewhere like Walhalla, or Licola. Tents. Look up Paradise Valley. heyfield.net/local-businesses/paradise-valley-camping-park/