Caravanning

Our friends took off to Cairns for 8 weeks in their eagle. Wasn’t able to go but have been getting all the photos and I haven’t seen one photo where they are not wearing a singlet and shorts. I don’t know what I’m still doing here in Melbourne.

1 Like

Best hint… if you’re off grid and it’s freezing get yourself a plug in 12volt electric blanket. Lifesaver out at Leyburn (west of Warwick Qld) last weekend when night temps dropped below zero.
Heat the bed up before hopping in….bloody lifesaver.

5 Likes

Great set-up. Except the Pies board of course. I really want to know where you fry your eggs though!

We’ve got an Expanda on order. My biggest concern with it is seeing how it goes with dust. Hopefully it won’t be too bad.

1 Like

That is a great tip. It’s going to be bloody cold for the first few weeks by the looks of it. And the van heater isn’t great when the temp gets real low apparently.

1 Like

We fry the eggs up on the caravan parks BBQ that way I can cook a dozen at a time Lol. I will say that we have only stayed in caravan parks so far. We love it but would like to set up for off grid some day. Not that you will need it going up north but the little fan heaters work a treat in the van. Like an oven. Expandas are great. I know the vans can get covered in dust on alot of the trips up north but there are tricks and tips online about how to help it stop getting inside the van. Especially the red dust. One thing I will say is if you are getting a brand new Jayco, go and take it straight away and get the roof seal checked. They only use silicone and some people we know work at Dandenong factory and the quality of the roof seal really depends on what day it’s made and who is working on the day. It’s covered under warranty but it seems to be a real issue with some of their vans.

2 Likes

Anyone done it in a campervan rather than a caravan?

I just think it’d be nicer in a van rather than towing something.

Would definitely be alot easier. The campervans here are so expensive though. I have recently imported a car from the states and was looking at the campervans over there and can’t believe how cheap they are. Can be imported here but all the wiring needs to be replaced so not sure if it’s worth it.

1 Like

Why the wiring? Is it for roadworthy or is it voltage?

I’m pretty sure it’s the voltage and wiring. We stayed up in Eden a couple of years ago and the family behind us had a massive old but restored airstream caravan ( the big chrome looking caravans). Got talking to them and he guy said he had to get the wiring done to Australian standards or something like that after he imported it.

1 Like

Biggest hassle is packing up everything to go out and get supplies or see something.

4 Likes

Diesel heater? Or reverse cycle AC? My mate swears by his diesel heater.

1 Like

I’ve only just come across the diesel heaters. Will require some more investigation.

@Klawdy check out this group on FB, lots of really good info, tips and places.

2 Likes

I made a micro camper for me mazda cx5 as a way of seeing if I like the camping lifestyle which I am sure I will. cost me about a grand to do this little ripper. Its only going to be in the better weather and a wekender at this stage, still needs a a few things but pretty cool and fun to make gets me a pretty full size double bed and a pull out kitchen and drawer bench and butane cooktop . I made some cool shades and eve a few fly screens. I need a mozzie net for the back door and an awning but I could easily use this now

8 Likes

I did the west coast of the US in a Van, 38 days!
I prefer them, but I know stuff all about cars so I stick to the Caravan here, I also figure there are less moving parts, thus less problems with a Caravan than a Camper and they don’t lose their value as much, but if you are renting, 100% go a Van.
This thread makes me want to get my Caravan out again…
At least if you have a Caravan and not much time to use it like me, its not the end of the world, I would hate to leave a Campervan around not getting used.

4 Likes

Very clever!
We use our van for everything….camping, carrying a motorbike to track days & can put 2 seats in the back for passengers. Camp set up comes out when the bike is in.
Camp install is VanEssa- (we’re not as skilled as you!)
Other good thing we purchased is a number of magnetic hooks for hanging stuff on - we also use them to hold flyscreens & block out shade on windows.

5 Likes

I always wonder if one of those smaller camper and could be used as a ‘daily driver’ as a work car. And then travel on the weekends.

Think anything size/style of a Kombi van.

Then you can claim a portion of the costs on your tax.

2 Likes

Ours is our daily drive - VW Transporter

1 Like

I can get mine installed in about 3 minutes with only some tie down straps to take the weight of the rear section and 3 screws to attach the front bit. The front bit has a hnged flap and a 4 section folding mattress, so when we are driving we can have full extension on the front seats. The mazda has 90 deg opening rear door so I dont need to d yoga to get in and out.
Im just going to get a free standing gazeebo rather than a botled on one

1 Like

You’re very handy on the tools.
Nice work and finishing.

1 Like