CarrotSalad was right - review of Adelaide 2020 round 8

I went out for a walk at 3/4 time and missed the last quarter? Is it worth watching, or will it giver an aneurysm?

Give it a miss.

Thought so. :smiley:

I gotta credit to tbell he played great today needs to be like that every week

1 Like

It’s great watching a replay of a close win: no stress, and you get to point and laugh at each of the times the opposition “loses the game”.

6 Likes

Has he ran hot at all this year?

1 Like

Looked like two park teams going at it hammer and tongs all day. It’s a win, but everything is going have to improve dramatically if we want to get within 10 goals of the bears next week.

On a side note, Adelaide will break their duck next week.

Did you think the Dees were really strong this week?

Delete

Nope his been around what 5 years now… and what you see is the best of him, to slow not hard at it.

All true, unfortunately.
For me, his lack of strength in the contest for the ball is a killer. And his feeble attempt to tackle Seedsman when he ran around him to kick the goal in the 3rd was typical of it and how costly it is.

1 Like

i’m pretty sure in the first qtr there was at least 5 times they bombed it long to a 2 on 1.

this is what i meant before the game, they obviously want a midget forwardline, so be it, but you can’t keep picking players who are just bombing it constantly with lil to no thought.
players in the midfield and defence who are doing it need to be kicked out of the side.

0 goals in his last 3 games.
1 goal in each of the previous 2 before that.
3 in his first game against sydney.

If those stats were pulled out in the townsend thread people would be screaming for him to be dropped.

that being said, ■■■■■■ if anyone is gonna do much better in this forwardline.
people think stringer and a cooked daniher is gonna fix that atrocious delivery to them, yikes.

I appreciated Smack, two minutes into the game, overtly choosing NOT to bomb it long to TIPPA vs a bigger guy.

3 Likes

When you look at it and indivdually, it’s a mircale we’re 5-2.

Daniher and Heppell haven’t played, Fantasia has barely kicked a goal, Smith has been way down, Bellchambers has played maybe 1 good game, McKenna has missed most the year, Ambrose injured all year, Francis has been passable at best, Redman mostly poor, Tippa has turned up maybe a few times, Zaka was a passenger until a few weeks ago, McKernan can barely kick a goal and I could go on…

Our kids have been the best part of the year. Ridley is in AA form, McGrath and Parish great whilst Shiel and Saad our best experienced players of the lot. Ham has shown signs as has Cahill. I guess Langford has been above average mostly too. Stringer was good until injured…

27 Likes

If you didn’t notice any of it, watch the last two minutes video on the AFL app. McGrath put in 4 to 5 efforts to win the footy back, with 36 seconds to go.

He gets it the footy and has two options for handball or hack it into our forward line, and we win. But handball goes straight to the Crows’ player 3m in front of him and nearly cost us the game.

Few minutes or so prior he had the ball inside defensive 50, either mark or free kick, but chips it 15m and straight to Adelaide player.

He has constantly done this in all his games. If he kicks it 50m and turns it over fair enough, or has to handball 20m and turns it over then it can be understandable. We are talking 5m handballs or 15m kicks.

I think it was against Carlton or North he was running into an open goal from 25m out, he didn’t even make the distance and the ball landed next to the behind post.

Number of times also when we are running into 50 with number of players for support, either drops a basic handball to him or he misses the player with his handball. I can see why Port desisted him.

Tackles well and runs behind players well. But for a player like his size, can’t believe his skills are so poor. If dew on the grass an issue in previous games, don’t think that was an issue today.

Defense has been outstanding… that’s been the diff. Rutten and Cara have started there as all good new coaches shouldl

2 Likes

if only we could have draper, daniher, stringer, heppell, stewart, shiel all back from Friday onwards lol

How many career games has he played?

Positives:

Ridley’s ability to read the play and take intercept marks. He has lovely kicking style as well, which is rare for Essendon players.

Parish roving the centre bounces like Gary Ablett Jnr, was great to see. He is natural reader of the ball and has sharp hands in the clinches.

Cahill has footy smarts. Loved the way he outbodied the Adelaide defender and got the ball to Parish; that was super smart and quick thinking. Love that Darce then gave one back to him and kicked a goal like Timmy Cahill. (Thought they are pronounced differently).

McGrath and Zerrett stepping up in the absence of Shiel, Stringer and Heppell. They lead the team over the line. Hurls doesn’t stand out as Captain. One of these two guys should be Captain until Dys comes back.

Saad is my best and fairest so far. He has been in our best players, every game, even the Bulldogs game. He will never get a stat for what he did in the last 10 seconds. He saved us the game really.

Laverde, minus the goal kicking, has every attribute to be a very good AFL player. Often competes with multiple opposition players at the same time. Those goals he set up Tippa and Townsend, reminded me of the goal he set up Tippa against North to win it. Doesn’t get that recognition.

Townsend sticking up for other players warms my heart. Haven’t had any for years, and we have Stringer, Townsend and Devon Smith.

9 Likes