Cars for the people

3 Likes

Don’t know if this will ever be produced and if so will it make here, but it sure is a good looking car that shows Chinese auto design is coming of age.

The 2023 Geely Galaxy Light EV Concept.

After environment activists won ground in pushing UK drivers to buy electric cars, the next battle will likely be in brake and tyre wear.

There is a possibility that electric vehicles could create more road emissions than petrol cars as they are usually heavier, so damage the tarmac to a greater extent.

1 Like

Horses for courses

Why i think Sydney’s buses are all going hydrogen.

There is extra weight, my Lexus is200 was about 1400 kerb weight, and Tesla 3 is 1750 kg. Not sure if there is extra road impact though, unlike what trucks do.

Not sure about brakes though, as hardly use them with the regenerative braking systems.

1 Like

You could go to the bank with them and get a bank cheque. Then together sign all the paper work the transfer of rego etc. and put your cheque into your bank account. It might take 2/3 days to clear. No money, no car. Remember to cancel your insurance.

Make sure you ask the buyer to send you a copy of transfer of rego because if anything happens to the car before the rego is transferred to the buyer, you are still responsible. That’s the way it works in NSW. Not sure about Victoria.

Off strictly EV topic but on kerb weight

Apparently MINI are going to build a proper tiny cooper. As in the same sort of dimensions as the original.

From what I understand there may initially be both an ICE and EV one.

Me thinks if the weight on the ICE variant is light as a feather they may end up being wonderful chuckable cars.

Apparently the hard part for a modern tiny mini is safety standards. Its hard to make a car as small as the originals whilst being safe enough in a crash

1 Like

That 1750 isn’t so much heavier, it is probably still less than what most standard sized SUVs and pickups weigh.

About 100 kilos more than a rav4.

But then your not filling it up with 50 kegs of petrol either

2 Likes

Jesus.

Wont someone think of the roads getting damaged by all these heavy electric vehicles.

Ffs

I just like light cars to drive, they are fun

1 Like

I agree. E

But someone was saying up thread, that EVs are going to impact the environment by destroying roads due to their increased weight.

Well no heavy vehicle aka semis and buses do that

A electric car won’t do such a thing

And even if they did(say heavier buses or trucks)

You build better roads.

Do think pedestrians could be in strife (due to them being silent) but with electric cars comes on most part great tech to warn drivers of pedestrians and cylists

1 Like

Damage to roads is roughly proportional to the weight^4.

Yes, adding (say) 10% weight is a 46% extra impact, but the people pushing this argument are also likely happy with the switch from sedans to SUVs…

A truck or bus of ~5 times the weight per axle/wheel is therefore worth 5^4=625 cars. Even on modest residential streets you’ll have a few percent of those, and therefore they utterly dominate the damage put out.

Power the trucks with hydrogen and watch them float around instead.

(That was a joke, Jovce.)

3 Likes

Zhuhai where l lived in China for 6 + years, is a well planned city with plenty of bicycle lanes, they also have many electric bikes. I have almost been run down a couple of times at night by these electric bikes because they refuse to use their headlights and they are so quiet, you can’t hear them, so you have no warning of them approaching.

Yes i can imagine!!

Quick one cj. What were you living in china for 6 years for? Work?

Yes, for work, mostly as an ESL/EFL teacher-trainer. I lived in China for almost 10 years, first in Zhuhai for 6 years, then in Hangzhou. I took a contract in 2017 to work in Chongqing, and got moved around from there to Chengdu and Kunming in 2018. The contract lapsed as l couldn’t get a visa to continue.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up.
Will look into this too as FBT exemption is attractive.

I’m new to the electric car thing but will you go with a specific charger for it?

Throw in RWD and a manual, and you complete the deal

2 Likes

I have no idea why bmw quit making the 1 series M.

Would love that car.

Just not at the crazy prices people ask for them now(and not such a huge fan of the issues ten year old turbo 6s from bavaria have)

The 2 series with a better engine might have to do its just a pity they made the car bigger :upside_down_face: