Celebrity (and not so) Deaths 2024

Typical boomer would be blaming gender identification for static wage growth for the last fifty years and ignoring free education, so no.

1 Like

The ā€œgo-show ā€œ.

Anthony Gobert , Australian superbike racer aged 48. Died in palliative care.

1 Like

Mary Weiss, Shangrilas.

7 Likes

May he rot in hell

2 Likes

Good riddance

3 Likes

Norman Jewison, Hollywood director, passed on at 97.
Youā€™d be hard pressed not to have seen at least one of his films in your lifetime.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/obituaries/2024/01/22/norman-jewison-director-dead/

4 Likes

Laurie Johnson, composer of various theme songs for TV and filmā€¦

This one was definitely close to my heart as a childā€¦

4 Likes

Frank Farian, creator of Boney M/Milli Vanilli/various other limited-talent vocal groups

3 Likes

Yeah I only learned later that Boney M was basically a Milli Vanilli situation except it was some of them who were faking it, not all.

Of course today everybody mimes all the time and people donā€™t bat an eyelid. Either that or they get auto-tuned within an inch of their lives.

5 Likes

Pretty much straight to the point there Baakkeerrrr

No, look, fair play to the manā€¦ he made squillions from a conveyor-belt line of marginal (in some cases no) talent. He also clearly had an ear for a natty pop tune.
That absolutely canā€™t be denied or knockedā€¦

1 Like

Thereā€™s an excellent doco on Paramount+ about the Milli Vanilli situation whereby Farian features heavily that would make people rethink their previous held beliefs about the group.

TIL Boney M are frauds.

2 Likes

They were the original Milli Vanilli, no sang a word.

The women sang on the Boney M records, but the men didnā€™t. I think they were Jamaican or something. The male vocals were actually Frank.

Milli Vanilli was 100 percent fake. I remember seeing interviews with them before they were found out, and they could barely speak English. It was always kinda suss.

1 Like

From memory, the main female vocalist on the records wasnā€™t actually in the line-up used for promo purposes in their halcyon days, but she did eventually come into the line-up. There was only one bloke in Boney M - Bobby Farrell, who was there primarily as a dancer (and vibes? the original Bez). He made a pretence at singing in the promos but actually didnā€™t.

Youā€™ve gotta hand it to Farian. He perfectly understood the marketing angle of music. To be fair though, he obviously had some musical chops too. I mean, some marketing people go into careers that they are very bad at and have no business being inā€¦ like being prime ministers as an exampleā€¦

Edit: shouldā€™ve consulted Dr Google first, evidently the female vocals were done by one of the promo line-up. The other two were deemed by Farian to be ā€œunsuitableā€. Interesting, because Maizie Williams (one of the ā€œunsuitableā€ ones) was touring as lead singer of a Boney M line-up well into the 90ā€™sā€¦

Thereā€™s a very loose definition of ā€œcelebrityā€ in this thread

1 Like

Thereā€™s been a very loose definition of ā€œdeathā€ on occasion tooā€¦

3 Likes

And this specific thread was initiated due to a very loose definition of ā€œ2024ā€.

It all balances out.

3 Likes