Celebrity Deaths 2017

Just heard on Triple J that one of my heroes Tom Petty has passed away aged 66 :frowning:ļø
ā€œDamn the Torpedoesā€ was the first LP I ever bought played it night & day
The term legend gets thrown around way too often but it certainly applies to TP
Way too early man - that just sucks

Heā€™s been revived and is back!

Kind of.

Actually, I doubt it. The news article says he has a DNR order and is in a bad way. Very sad.

What?

1 Like

Holy moly?!

Latest reports say suffered Cardiac arrest, but still alive & in IC.

Thatā€™s a greater comeback than Essendon V North Melbourne in 2001.

6 Likes

Best come back since Lazarus! I hope he he makes it. 66 is fat too closeto my age.

Just heard he has gone :sleepy:

Is it too soon to criticise his work with the Traveling Wilburys?

1 Like

Not round here

No.

So many good things coming together to make something far worse than all of them.

Iā€™m hearing you. I tried, couldnā€™t get into it. Always sounded poorly produced to me, overly compressed or somethingā€¦

On the other hand, Tom Petty was one of the first to really get my attention as a kid in the 70s. Those songs still stand up 4 decades later. RIP.

5 Likes

Reallly big fan of his work as a teenager growing up in the eighties. He had a knack for catchy melodies with great rock hooks- just like his idols the Byrds/Beatles. Sad news indeed.

2 Likes

Breakdown, honey take me through the nightā€¦ Rest in Peace Tom Petty, a music giant, one of the greats.

A lot of the rock people we grew up will die off fairly quickly and too young, it is a price that many pay for living the rock lifestyle.

1 Like

Yes

One of the only times Aristotleā€™s rule of ā€œThe whole being greater than the sum of its parts.ā€, actually worked in reverse.

Vale Tom, ā€¦ you played a big part in it all.

1 Like