Celebrity deaths 2021

Marvellous is dead? I can’t believe it.

I’m really jarred by that news.

I wanted the careers of Carlos Monzon and Marvellous Marvin Hagler to overlap just to see who was the greatest. It would have been magnificent. If you haven’t already, look up Hagler V John ‘The Beast’ Mugabe for one of the all time great batterings. How either of them survived is anyone’s guess. Mugabe (who now lives in Qld) was undefeated and looked undefeatable until this bout.

1 Like

I think you mean My Fair Lady was not a great film although I disagree with you even there. The stage version was a great musical based on George Bernard Shaw’s superb play Pygmalion. I worked with the original Australian production for quite a few years and many other musicals afterwards but I have seen none better than My Fair Lady.
Les Miserables I would rate second and A Chorus Line and Phantom third.

10 Likes

Thanks, I did mean not a great film. For me, the fact that Audrey Hepburn couldn’t sing so her songs were dubbed is what spoils it. I completely agree that it was a great musical, and I actually saw the original Australian production at (I think) Her Majesty’s with Robin Bailey and Bunty Turner. I was in primary school, but my parents thought I was old enough to appreciate it, which I very much did. My father played the piano and the whole family knew all the songs by heart long before I saw the show. (I don’t think we had a TV back then.) It’s still for me the best of them all. I saw the original Australian production of Sound of Music too, with June Bronhill as Maria, and that one I remember was at the Comedy and all children in the family were by then deemed old enough to attend.

How has this thread morphed into a discussion about bloody musicals?

1 Like

Quite right.
Let’s get back to blank tapes.

6 Likes

C30. C60. C90. Go!

2 Likes

Yes, Jack Warner thought that Julie Andrews was not a big enough star so he brought in Audrey Hepburn for the role and Marnie Nixon sang the numbers. Marnie was the great singer who never was. She dubbed many stars including Natalie Wood. Ironically Audrey Hepburn sang the Eliza role quite well. I recently heard her sing the role before she was dubbed over on you Tube.
Yes you are correct Fair Lady was at Her Majestys Theatre. Sound of Music Was at the Princess Theatre.

1 Like

Ah the joy of finding out that Brashs had boxes of 10 TDK cassettes on sale. AD 90s in the box with blue writing on them. Red boxed D 90s if I wasn’t flush with funds. Or BASF if my pockets were full of birthday money.

A box of 10! The possibilities were endless.

4 Likes

Yeah thought I was on the Demons forum for a minute there

2 Likes

I think there were C45s. Or am I really in need of a checkup?

there still are according to the interwebz

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=c45+cassette

Marvin Hagler died from complications after getting the Covid vaccine

:thinking:

so with a google, absolutely nowhere has published that.

1 Like
1 Like

1 Like

Oh no. One of the commentary all-time greats.

Edit: it appears as though I’m late with this news!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMX_evblIgK/

What @Bullwinkle was talking about

Not sure if that link even works TBH