Censored Words

I’ll just make up my own words you poop monster

4 Likes

Reminds me of a sketch on that show with the guy that did the Chopper Reid impersonation about ‘banned words that sound like swear words’.

Ronnie Johns!

2 Likes

This should be a poll

A mother ■■■■■■■ poll

Censorship is Fucken ■■■■■ Fucken wrong.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What the actual ■■■■

1 Like

At least you can get an email address in Scunthorpe now.

1 Like

Scunthorpe would be a perfectly cromulent substitution for the censored option.

Sam Mitchell: Eat a back of dicks you Scunthorpe.

5 Likes

Scunt works too if you’re too lazy to horpe …

2 Likes

Personally I just call them Karmichaels

Great work Rolo.

I’m just a lowly one-post-a-year, single-digit poster, and everyone on this site is much more important than me, but I can’t help ask if more can be done with this swear filter?

Can Discourse be ‘feature enhanced’ to include a happiness index for users based on sentiment analysis of posts?

Forgetting the lols, I could think of many advantages of making that data available for everyone to see in real time:

• apply the swear filler ability to block depressing or OTT posters or posts
  • transparency of credibility in lid on/off threads. Don’t want to have a balanced person lurking in one of these important user sub-communities or trolls from the other groups.
  • after x number of consecutive whinges it could pop up with links to mental health sites (could break something after a big loss)
  • new trinkets for badge collectors… you know who you are.
  • at the moment, it might take 3 or 4 posts for some users to launch into a personal attack against another. Why wait those 5 minutes to form a hasty, ill-informed opinion about someone you haven’t met, based on a few sentences? Meta data can help you get there in one.

We can’t just have a single index or those with wild mood swings and balanced people will score the same over time. Needs to be accompanied with highest and lowest lifetime ranking, plus time between personality shifts.

Endless scope, but my fingers hurt. Will type some more next year.

This is how I send a private message, right?

4 Likes

I’ve written the word ■■■■ in official documents at my workplace.

3 Likes

Rofl.

1 Like

Same.

1 Like

Meet the Fockers!

Thanks Rolo.

Wouldn’t it have been easier to just manually type in the “big 10” or so swear words than dump what is presumably 50 words in and have to pick random ones like w.t.f out by request?

1 Like

Yep, the word count is used quite common enough. I’ve dropped the o before and spellcheck didn’t pick it up.

ROFLMCO

5 Likes

Riolio, why are you sticking with this ludicrous puritanical YANKEE swear filter ? It has very little relevance to modern Australia. There are only two words which are forbidden in “polite society” in modern Australia, namely ■■■■ and ■■■■.

We aren’t allowed to call certain Essendon footballers by their names because some pusillanimous moralising Yankee control freak has decided they are unfit for use. Having to use asterisks to write Dik Reynolds and Willie Dik is an insult to those fine footballers.

Anybody whose girlfriend is named Fan*y is also in trouble, though Mike Hunt’s gymnasium in Johnston Street, Fitzroy is still safe. ROFLMHO ?

There was a great thread on BB a few years back, all about how you go about keeping chooks in the backyard. I downloaded a copy of it for further use. It was very good on the question of keeping a co*k among the hens.

We can’t call an A S S an A S S either, because some Yankee donkey a couple of centuries ago decided to use that word as a euphemism for “a r s e”; the usage spread like a bushfire, to the extent that the real four-letter word got forgotten by the Yanks and they decided that the euphemism “a s s” was itself a bad word — and now this filter erases it. How do the Septics manage with quoting Hamlet Act 2, Scene 2: “Then came each actor on his as s”? It’s ludicrous. Fine if the Yanks want to make fools of themselves, but why do we have to parrot their pissweak proclivities ?

By the way, in Chaucer’s Miller’s Tale, you’ll find the wife Alison sticking her “erse” out the window for her would-be lover to kiss. So at least we have an alternative spelling…

Although the Septics have condemned themselves to perpetual infantility, there is no good reason why we should ape them. Time we grew up. Fug the filter, please.

5 Likes

RACIST