Census 2016

Verified now, that the site was attempted to be hacked,… 4 times!!

The 4th attack they couldn’t hold off, … so were forced to shut the site down

Attacks were coming from overseas.

I can confirm that the computer programmers that worked on the census were very highly qualified.

Their most recent project was developing a PowerPoint presentation for Damien Hardwick.

Still can’t access the site.

Verified now, that the site was attempted to be hacked,... 4 times!!

There’s no way that’s remotely true.

I can confirm that the computer programmers that worked on the census were very highly qualified.

Their most recent project was developing a PowerPoint presentation for Damien Hardwick.

Blaming the programmers is easy. Blaming the government official that tried to keep costs down is more likely.

Not sure if thats a pun on the remote … but if not, that is what the ABS dude on ABC eactly said.

Or have you gone tinfoil on their story??

Lol someone find up the quote from the Census guy saying that they were unhackable. Plus I believe it’s a smoke screen as their servers weren’t large enough.

Pretty elaborate smoke screen then, ASIO now involved.

Seems it was more than just a prankish DOS attack.

Anythings possible of course, but whaat’s the big deal about just coming out & saying it was some tech glitch. That would be far simpler and easily believed, rather than going to these elaborate lengths to simply save face for something you might expect to happen first time out.

Makes no sense to invent this IMO.

Definitely a DOS, I am going to assume it was China, they seem to be happy doing this stuff currently

Some good Census memes though
And you know that it’s all James Hird’s fault :wink:

There’s no way that’s remotely true.

Doesn’t look like it…

Horsesht.

I bet they’ve said something like “we can’t identify the source right now”

Trying to save face.

Horsesht.

Trying to save face.

If recent patterns continue…
Then within the hour they’ll pin this on ISIS or a Muslim extremist.

Not sure if thats a pun on the remote ... but if not, that is what the ABS dude on ABC eactly said.

Or have you gone tinfoil on their story??

In the US the DNC claimed that Russian hackers were behind the email leaks. Snowden says if that were true there’d be evidence. Like when North Korea hacked Sony. None has been given.

“It was hacked” is a bad idea to use as an excuse.

Blaming the programmers is easy. Blaming the government official that tried to keep costs down is more likely.

It would have been the government pushing for cost cutting, not ABS staff. Most APS employees want to do the best for taxpayers and deliver quality services. Difficult to do it in the current environment of constantly having to find “efficiencies”.

I like to think it was millions of Weibo users still pi$$ed off at Mack Horton.

Horsesht.

Trying to save face.

If recent patterns continue…
Then within the hour they’ll pin this on ISIS or a Muslim extremist.

Hahah probably

Nah, they’ll just keep saying “unidentified source” until people stop asking.

"The Australian census has proved a disaster tonight as the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) threw up its hands and declared that its online service would not be available on the night that the census was due to be completed and people should try again in the morning.

After struggling to convince the Australian public that its most private data was safe in their hands, the crash of its online service couldn’t have come at a worse time.

snip<

In any event, the ABS has proved that its ability to communicate with the Australian public in an effective way has been as deficient as its technology. There is also a clear question as to whether the entire census will need to be rerun as it has already been severely compromised.

Would anyone actually still trust the results that come from the census as it has been run so far?"

https://theconversation.com/abss-night-of-disaster-as-servers-crash-and-millions-fail-to-complete-the-census-63737

Good article.

OK, show’s over, back to the Hurley thread

I'm far more interested in how anyone expects a government-built system to handle the traffic when four million people log in at once.

prophetic.