Census 2016

Lots of legitimate privacy concerns about the census. These articles provide a nice summary but I’ve also seen it suggested that if you do it online your info will pass through US based IBM servers and therefore become subject to the patriot act.

Personally I’ve asked to be sent a paper form.

Go nuts tin foil haters

Refer politics thread. I won’t be providing my name either based on the concerns of a number of very senior privacy lawyers who I know personally (and who would know more than me).

I’m far more interested in how anyone expects a government-built system to handle the traffic when four million people log in at once.

I'm far more interested in how anyone expects a government-built system to handle the traffic when four million people log in at once.

Try 16 million.

I had 2500 new posts waiting for me in the politics thread so didn’t look. Merge if you want.

Anyways - order your paper form from the abs by phone (you will need your code from the letter that was sent) and don’t put your name on it (fwiw)

I’m planning to put a fake name in the online version tonight. Not an obviously fake name (Homer Simpson etc), but fake none the less.

So you have to put your name if you do it online?

Also, how will they fine me if I say I sent a paper form back to them and it got lost?

Also I don’t think the paper forms are due back until September sometime

Also, how will they fine me if I say I sent a paper form back to them and it got lost?

Aren’t the paper forms collected in person? They used to be…

Aren’t the paper forms collected in person? They used to be…

Reply paid envelope I believe

Is there a section for additional comments?

I might put fark the afl

The major problem that they’ve got this year is that they’ve introduced two big changes at once and spooked everyone.

Both of the changes are ■■■■. The online change (because the hard copies provide for greater accuracy of data) and the decision to retain names.

However if they’d just introduced them one at a time the public might have swallowed it.

Instead, now everyone is spooked and the data is going to suffer immeasurably.

The people we most need to count in our society are the homeless. How many of them are gonna be counted?

The major problem that they've got this year is that they've introduced two big changes at once and spooked everyone.

Both of the changes are ■■■■. The online change (because the hard copies provide for greater accuracy of data) and the decision to retain names.

However if they’d just introduced them one at a time the public might have swallowed it.

In their defence, if they hadn’t have gone online this year then everybody would be whingeing about using paper and everything else is online.

I worked at a polling booth on the election and soooo many people had a whinge to me about “why can’t this be online?” “India do it online.” etc…

The major problem that they've got this year is that they've introduced two big changes at once and spooked everyone.

In their defence, if they hadn’t have gone online this year then everybody would be whingeing about using paper and everything else is online.

I worked at a polling booth on the election and soooo many people had a whinge to me about “why can’t this be online?” “India do it online.” etc…

Yeah but that whinge is primarily about having to physically turn up to a booth. The census is done in your own home whether you’re online or using paper (which used to be physically collected afterwards so there’s zero inconvenience).

Also the paper version provides for better data. A couple of examples:

• the letters being sent out to homes were produced 4 months ago, based on the data at the time. This means that essentially 4 months worth of newly constructed dwellings won’t get census papers at all. Under the old system, each ABS employee was allocated an area to deliver forms to (say 4-500 houses or so). If in the course of delivering forms, they noticed that there were new dwellings within that area which weren’t on the ABS’ radar, they could ensure that those houses got forms delivered as well.

• when delivering and collecting the forms, the collectors used to also make their own observations about the neighborhood as they did so, for instance traffic, quality of dwellings, cleanliness of amenities, quality of roads etc. This data now won’t be collected as people complete the form online instead.

■■■■ its a ■■■■■■■■■■■.

my wife did ours last night, said she gave vague answers as they wanted quite personal information.

What’s the census and what I’m I supposed to do. I haven’t received an envelope as I throw most paper stuff in the bin. Is it tonight and will I go to jail for white middle aged men which include conjugal visits if I don’t do it.
Thanks.

What's the census and what I'm I supposed to do. I haven't received an envelope as I throw most paper stuff in the bin. Is it tonight and will I go to jail for white middle aged men which include conjugal visits if I don't do it. Thanks.

What are you talking about? You are homeless. You are household-less. The census does not apply to you. Not known at this address. etc…

What's the census and what I'm I supposed to do. I haven't received an envelope as I throw most paper stuff in the bin. Is it tonight and will I go to jail for white middle aged men which include conjugal visits if I don't do it. Thanks.

Leave the soap on the shower floor…so I’m told.

As an old Jay Leno joke went…73% of Americans have not had sex in the shower…the other 27% have been to jail.