Changes for round 1

It’s going to be a farking long offseason!

Here is my take on the list and it highlights the gaps we have currently. Hopefully by Rnd 1 these will be addressed to a certain degree.

DEFENCE

Key Position Defenders

Primary: Ridley, Laverde, Stewart. Depth: Francis, Zerk-Thatcher, Reid, Brand.

Mid/Small Defenders: Hind, Redman, Heppell. Depth: Gleeson, Guelfi

Overall our defence is in very good shape given it’s thrown together nature at the beginning of the year. Laverde has been a revelation and Ridley has consolidated himself amongst the Top 5 intercepting and rebounding defenders in the league. perhaps Stewart is a question mark but to be fair, did a workmanlike job in an unfamiliar role. He will be better next year. In reality, Stewart’s holding the fort until Reid is ready to assume the responsibility as our key defensive tall. BZT and Francis provide adequate depth but I can’t see either being a long term solution. Francis is not a forward as seen with his recent efforts covering for the dropped Hooker. Heppell, Redman and Hind are A Grade small defenders although I would personally like to see McGrath groomed to take over the Quarterbacking role from Heppell at some stage. An additional close checking lock down defender is a priority I believe as we do often get punished by the other team’s small forwards.

MIDFIELD

Primary Ruck: Draper. Depth Ruck: Wright, Bryan, Phillips

Primary Inside Mids

Parish, Stringer (centre bounce only) Langford, Caldwell, McGrath, Snelling

Primary Outside Mids

Merrett, Shiel, Cox, Perkins, Durham

Depth : Ham, Smith, Cahill,

We are starting to put together a Top 4 midfield although there are some holes. Stringer is a dual role player who can make things happen at the centre bounce but then goes forward. We need a player like Stringer who has the tank to go with the ball over the ground. Bontempelli is the best example of this type of player and they are rare and special.

Our outside mids will become more effective as Perkins, Durham and Cox develop and eventually go onto the ball. All have shown real potential in their debut years.

McGrath is a concern but let’s see how he goes when fully fit again. I do feel he may be better suited to playing the role Heppell is currently performing on the half back flank.

Shiel needs a huge preseason and some really pointed guidance from the coaches if he is to be anything close to the player we paid for. He simply isn’t that at the moment and yes, he has had a terrible injury but let’s be honest, he wasn’t really setting the world on fire before the injury.

ATTACK

Key Position Forward:

Primary: Wright, Jones. Depth: Francis, Eyre, Baldwin

Med/Small Forwards: Stringer Walla, Smith, Waterman, Perkins. Depth: Cahill

So here we have our genuine problem. Insufficient talent and depth on all key forward positions, tall, medium and small. Hooker was an adequate placeholder this year but eventually ran out of steam. Walla is a gun but needs time to get back to his best. The loss of form from both these guys and the injury to first year player Jones really forced us into a far more defensive game style late in the year as frankly the scoring options had dried up. We desperately need a young Aaron Naughton, Max King type forward, athletic and great marking skills. Peter Wright is not a long term answer despite a better than expected year. 2MP can play an important decoy role in a forward line with Jones and one other Key Tall.

We also need another small goal kicking forward, especially since Fantasia has departed. At their best, Walla and Fantasia were a lethal double punch combo. We desperately need a Papley, Cameron, Toby Greene type small forward. Walla is 30 next year and can’t be seen as the long term solution. It’s a real shame we lost Mozzie as who knows how good he may have become.

So our best line up for Rnd 1 excluding any trades or draftees, just using the current list ( I am assuming Hooker, Zaharakis, Hurley will be gone or not available)

FB. Redman. Laverde Ridley

HB. Hind. Stewart. Heppell

C. Cox. Merrett. Langford

HF. Perkins. Jones. Stringer

FF. Smith. Wright. Walla

Ruck. Draper. Parish. Caldwell

I/C. McGrath, Durham, Shiel, Francis

medisub - Guelfi

Emergency. Snelling, Clarke, Gleeson, BZT, Waterman

2 Likes

I consider that who ever you have as the 6th forward is basically the stringer Auto rotation. Shiel will have time there like he did this year. So will Caldwell

1 Like

Just cos you can’t come up with a 22

I’d go with that summary.
Durham reads it well, gets involved and will keep improving. Archie needs time, expect Cox and Jones barging their way back in within first 4-6 weeks of next season.

Otherwise the questions to answer are re: Shiel to a wing or HF with odd runs in the middle, and McG to a back pocket as small defender. I’d say yes to both switches, presuming Shiel stays …

Blicavs is tall and athletic…yes I assume we are playing the cats in round 1

Out: Finals
In: draft thread / trading thread and Trade Radio…

1 Like

Enter Tom Hird

1 Like

A like through quoting you for the thread but not for the suggested outs.

Rate most of your outs as future premiership players.

Waterman has soooo much upside. Look forward to his 2022

No McGrath or Shiel?

1 Like

Yikes.

McGrath instead of Clarke. And yes to no Shiel. Over him.

1 Like

In: Bullen, Haynes, Richards, Bolton
Out: Alvey, Murphy, Camporeale, Allan

2 Likes

2022 Rd 1 VFL Side

b: Gleeson McBride Brand
hb: Zerk-Thatcher Reid Cutler
c: Wanganeen-Milera Misiti(VFL Listed) Guelfi
hf: Wanganeen Eyre Hurley
f: Hird Baldwin Rosas
Foll: Bryan Clarke Waterman
Int: Cahill, Johnson, Moore,

2 Likes

Gets you excited seeing Wanganeen and Hird in the team. Misiti as well for that matter.

It was good watching the VFL matches live streamed this year on KAYO, hopefully we get more Essendon games next year.

B: Laverde - Stewart - McGrath
HB: Hind - Ridley - Heppell
C: Cox - Merrett - Langford
HF: Stringer - Jones - Caldwell
F: Tippa - Wright - Perkins
R: Draper - Parish - Shiel

INT: Redman - Snelling - Bryan - Durham
Sub: Guelfi

1 Like

It’s a strong team. With pick 11 (please NWM!) Reid, etc to develop in the VFL. Hopefully a good run with injuries and Covid will mean a stronger VFL team/comp for the young guys to develop in.
I’m excited for next year.

It’s still the team that couldn’t beat the top sides in 2021.

1 Like

That’s true - but here’s my changes as well as the obvious additional pre-season for everyone, another 6 months to learn the Rutten way etc…

• McGrath to the backline. I’ve said it before, he could be a Wanganeen type back pocket, yet we are settling for a Brent Stanton type midfielder with Andy.
  • Nick Bryan to stamp himself on the comp in the same way Drapes did this year and create one of the best young ruck combos in the game
  • Full pre-seasons and injury free Jye Caldwell and Dylan Shiel really changes our midfield to be good enough to challenge and beat the best teams every week.

Oh and, on your point that it’s the same team that couldn’t beat the top sides this year… this is Richmond’s best 22 in 2016, who went 8-14 and couldnt beat anyone either

B: Ellis Rance Astbury
HB: Houli Grimes Vlaustin
C: Grigg Martin Lambert
HF: Rioli Riewoltd Edwards
F: Lloyd Vickery Deledio
R: Hampson Cotchin Miles
INT: Short Hunt Menadue C Ellis

A lot of premiership players there…

2 Likes

Agree with you.
McGrath need to in the extended defensive midfielder/ zippy defender similar to playing Caleb’s role with doggies.
Riddle Need to build his body to deal with bigger KFPs