Changes for round 1

Isn’t that currently Heppell’s job ?

Why the hate on Stewart guys? Did a remarkable job considering it was his first year in defence. Don’t you think he may just be a bit better for the experience?

1 Like

McGrath is a weapon. He will be back in the guts on rotation along with Parish,Merrett and Caldwell.

With Jake, Shiel and Snelling having some visits as well.

You don’t waste a bloke of Andy’s talents off a half back flank. You just don’t.

I call him the mop ™

Yep, wasted on a back flank, should be in the back pocket.

depends on a few things.
if our midfield is firing, he can go back and provide run from defence, plus like Hodge/Burgoyne get sent to the midfield fresh in the last quarter when game in the balance.
On the other hand ideally Shiel and Caldwell really need to be able to play other positions than midfield

In modern day footy sling shot from halfback is so important. Caleb Daniel/Rich/Short play that role to perfection.
Our best two way player is Andy. He is good playing on a small forward as well.

. We win clearances and work forward of centre.

And if it does hit the back line.

Nick Hind.

Hind’s role and Andy’s role are different.
One to carry the ball other to pin point kicking

Sydney SCG

Bookmark it

Was Wanganeen wasted in defence?

Different players.

If we are talking changes from the team that played the Dogs in the final at this stage I’d have;-

OUT: Smith, Guelfi, Cutler, Waterman & Gleeson
IN: Langford, Hind, Tippa, Jones & Cox

Some pretty decent upgrades right there…Lots of water to go under the bridge before round 1 but right now I’d have our line-up;-

Laverde Stewart McGrath
Redman Ridley Hind
Shiel Langford Cox
Perkins Jones Snelling
Stringer 2MP Tippa

Draper Parish Merrett

Bench: Heppell Caldwell Durham Francis
SUB: Smith/Guelfi

Smith and Guelfi probably a bit stiff so make one of them SUB, I’ve named Stewart at full back but any of Zerk, Hurley or Reid could end up playing there in round 1 depending on pre-season form

Gee Perko gets a free pass. Kid needs games pumped into him to get to 50 sure, but was very clear he isn’t ready yet.

1 Like

I dunno. His first half dozen games were better than his last, but would have him firmly entrenched in the Rd 1 side.

1 Like

He is borderline best 22, but another preseason he should solidify his spot.
needs games pumped into him.

1 Like

If I was GWS I’d send Coniglio back because he’s failing as a mid, but Andy McGrath is a midfield ball magnet with a tank like phar lap.
McGrath’s defensive craft could enable him to run with oliver, neale etc if we decided to go down that path.

1 Like

If I was GWS I would send Coniglio to Hawthorn, he might still have some currency and Hawks could fit his contract in their cap.

even getting someone like a Breust in the deal would be handy

1 Like

That’s not answering the question. Was Wanganeen wasted in defence? God, he was probably one of the last defenders to win a Brownlow. And to be fair, Wanganeen showed all the ability to be a fantastic midfielder. So no, I don’t think McGrath is wasted in defence if he performs an important roles back there as opposed to being 5th in line at centre bounces where his playing style may not be as suited to that role as we had hoped for.

1 Like

Move McGrath to defence and replace Stewart with Francis. Laverde plays the undersized key post and Francis and Ridley play on the others with Reid and Zerk as options. Send Stewart forward replacing Waterman. Play Wright deep and have Stewart and Jones play higher.

Sheedy did start playing him forward more in 96.