Changes vs Port - Round 4 - Time to “Pay the Fine”

In: Merrett, Clarke, Redman, Laverde
Out: Begley, Myers, Baguley, Green

I think the first three are feasible. Green will probably get another crack but IMO he is a VERY limited footballer and the sooner we replace him the better. Laverde needs to play seniors.

1 Like

We’ll win by 23 points

If, on the back of our softest performance in 10 years, our solution is to bring in Jackson Merrett then we are more baked than I realised. Also, Green has probably been our best player over two weeks (which isn’t saying much, but still, you don’t drop him).

You would be dropping Begley for Merrett. I would only drop Green if Laverde is ready. Green in my mind represents exactly why we are a terrible team, he’s a selfish player that can’t tackle, one dimensional and slow.

1 Like

Green is hungry and plays with passion and when things don’t go his way he doesn’t hide his genuine disappointment and frustration. Good to see this - Joe could use a bit more of that passion at the moment. I think Green and Raz will be a dangerous pair together as the season goes on.

5 Likes

I think Heppell should either go to the backline and clunk markets in the Gleeson role.
Or forwardline and clunk marks.

When you are getting smashed in the midfield. I think we should change it up.

But also Strengthen the defence - Hooker, Hurley, Heppell, McGrath is a solid backline.
Send McKenna to midfield / wing. And bring in Zerk-Thatcher as a young guy to learn from Hooker & Hurley. And He can intercept mark to the early morning, according to VFL blitzers.

B: Saad, Hooker, Zerk-Thatcher
Hb: Heppell Hurley McGrath

So MCKenna gets added to midfield - effectivly swap with MCGrath who has been down last few weeks. - These 2 guys should swap for a rest , also with Heppell. etc but McKenna being the main mid.

Midfield - Would bring in Clark and drop Myers
Clark plays mid rest on bench with Stringer/Laverde poinch hitting in the midfield.
Long In - Add some youthful exhuberance, some more run through midfield, I think he will work well with Joey and Tippa.

change is effectively Long in Baguley out…But Heppell in defence. Saad and Mcgrath can be stoppers if required.
Forwardline, I would love to drop Daniher, given his brain fade, but we can accept that probably wont happen. I would also say Stringer is in Doubt cause of his eye and if he is out (or daniher) id bring in Laverde. As well given short breaks around ANzac Day, mightnt be a bad idea to rest Stringer or someone if they arent 100%. And Laverde is a good replacement like/like

Hf: Tippa Stewart Daniher
F: Green Stringer/Laverde Fantasia

With our game plan…lose midfield…win ball back in defence and run it down the ground…we need a stronger defence - Hence, MCGrath, Hooker, Heppell all going back.
We also need more run in the midfield, hence McKenna and Long added to the midfield.
Midfield also needs better clearances, Hence Clarke Debuting.

Forwardline is essentially the same as last year, except Daniher is out of form, but Stewart is in pretty good form. Hooker to Backline but Stinger or Laverde will be down there.
Stringer is a confidence player, get him some goals up forward and confidence up…dogs were scared when stringer was close to goal. 3 of them tackling him, which set up a parish goal.

Expect Fantasia to be better after another week. Tippa hopefully turns it around as well, Green has been serviceable, kicking goals IMO.

Say starting Mids are
McKenna Clarke Long, Zerrett, Zaharakis
then swap with
McGrath, Stringer, Smith, Parish, Goddard

2 Likes

Same, last nights game was the first time I’ve left early from a game.

Absolutely disgusted.

Out: AFL squad

In: VFL squad

Am completely serious.

What does it matter who is in or out - none of them have the passion to bust a valve and win at all costs.

I like most of that, but don’t think Long deserves a spot yet.

He kicked 7 goals I think in his first game back and they brought him straight in I’m pretty sure

i checked afl playerratings and he indeed played two good games in the VFL, then kicked 6 in the third game and came back into the seniors the week after. So 3 vfl games in total.

1 Like

and considering how deplorable our disposal out of D50 was yesterday he’s the only one who would have been able to hit a target.

But it’s too late now we’ve broken him. And I’m being serious. Dropping him and keeping Brown was the absolute biggest mistake of selection. He’s a confidence player and it’s been reduced to zero and didn’t even get a crack in the VFL to ease that.

1 Like

If that’s how fragile he is, then he’ll never make it anyway. What a load of rot.

1 Like

I agree I reckon he’s fragile. Not going to dispute that.

you’re probably remembering his rev’s game tbh jake, easy mistake.

1 Like

Here’s the stats from the VFL on Saturday. Clarke really stands out for me, 30 possensions and 10 tackles shows a great workrate.

5 Likes

I’m abit torn this week with selection.

Walla, Fantasia and Green in the forward line definitely provides more pressure defensively and they are able to work together hunt and all that.

However, Saad isn’t cutting it, and we need more contributions from our backs moving the ball up the ground. McKenna and Gleeson provided that together last year however with Glees out, McKenna is easy to target by the opposition. So Hooker back, Hurley and McKenna can setup attack together. Saad gets a reprieve but McNeice should be promoted if he continues to provide little.

Our mids are a real problem. I would play Parish in the centre for the game. His endeavour and desire to go in and get it was fantastic in his first year as he was given the responsibility and was engaged. Playing outside and on the wing, or on the flanks… forget it. Put him in the guts and in the game. Merrett needs to lift, period. Hepp obviously goes in there. Rotate Smith, Zaka and McGrath when required and get these guys becoming familiar with each others and being accountable to each other.

Stringer in the midfield is crap… Put him in the forward line and make him LEAD (this i critical, enough lazy footy Jake you can’t palm off every defender - it really is lazy footy), run and create opportunities off the half forward line as he rotates with Daniher and Stewart.

So my side would be:

Out: Myers, Brown,
In: Langford, Hartley

B: Baguley, Hartley, Saad
HB: McKenna Hooker, Hurley
C: Smith, Parish, Zaharakis
HB: Stringer, Stewart, Fantasia
F: Green, Daniher, Walla
Foll: Bellchambers, Merrett, Heppell

B: Begley, Langford, Goddard, McGrath

Finally, ■■■■■■ well rotate Daniher through the ruck if he is struggling. He is a competitor and when out of form up forward plays a cautious and uncertain game. In the ruck, he goes straight at it, runs, tackles, attacks the footy and has been brilliant in short spells in there in the past. ITS NOT HARD TO FIGURE OUT. (excuse the capitals but seriously!)

1 Like

I had this weekends game against Port penciled in to take the kids along for their first game of the year, and to enjoy a nice day out together, before the season started. I was filled with hope for the year ahead and the kids were looking forward to it & kept asking me when are we going.

I then had a mate organise a function for the same day/time and I’ve been stirring him about costing me the chance to see the mighty Bombers play live. I was even still looking at ways to maybe attend both.

After the ■■■■■ we served up yesterday, I am less than enthused in general now. I think I will give him a big handshake at saving me the time, with the additional bonus of a nice bottle of scotch to enjoy & say thanks for saving me from myself. I will enjoy the weekend ahead without thinking of the Bombers much, just the occasional glance at the scores, stress free. Even if they play out of their skins & win (which is likely as we all know from our recent history) it won’t mean much at all.

Right now I don’t care who goes in or out, until such time as the 22 play with some effort & intensity (let alone basic skill & coordination), I think I will continue to prioritise other things over the footy.

Out: Me & the family
In: Who gives a stuff.

4 Likes

There are some smart posters on this forum.
I wouldn’t mind experimenting with ‘stacking our backline’.
Didn’t Richmond lose a lot of clearances in games but still end up winning that particular game?

For example, concede the fact that our midfield is rubbish.
Assume we are going to lose the midfield battle and send our best players to the backline. Put hooker, heppell, McGrath back.

When we lose the clearance, these players will be able to intercept the ball and use it smartly off half back allowing us to sling shot our attack.

I doubt wolsfold will do anything as radical as this though. He doesn’t seem like the type.