Changes vs the Suns - speculation for 2020 round 11

I don’t think that. I think just risky if have all eggs in one basket and then reliant on average back up as we’ve seen over past few years.

Makes sense.

Geelong didn’t rest Dangerfield last night, left him up forward instead. Smart way to do it.

Essendon have played 9 games for 5 wins with 8 more to go. They’ll need at least 5 more wins if they’re to play finals.

They can afford to lose 3 games.

So, they have to play Port, Cats, Eagles, Saints, Tigers, Dees, Suns and Hawks.

Losing to the Suns on Wed only compounds their issues, cause there’s no way they’ll beat Port, Eagles (especially if played on their home decks) or the Tiges. Oh, and the rebounding Saints will have a thing to say as well.

Essendon are cactus. Finals ain’t happening, so just play the kids (supporter mantra for the last 5 years)!

1 Like

Agree we aren’t playing finals…so let’s get a look at the future

Another wasted year it’s a shame

So many kents in here throw in the towel so easily.

If we do beat some sides maybe not expected to then will be deserving of finals and I’d rather us do everything to take it up to them and not just roll over and tank. Not the mentality you’d want the players to have.

Keep fighting until it’s mathematically impossible and if so then maybe play more of the kids

We almost(and should have) beat GWS with 6+ senior players out and a man down in first quarter, you never know what can happen.

13 Likes

To be fair my “there was a loud cheer at training” turned out to be true with Draper debuting.

3 Likes

Why you gotta be so mean?

2 Likes

I understand where you are coming from, but we have gone down that path for years. Playing the older guy to scrape into finals- then getting obliterated with those same older guys when we get there. So we have missed out getting games into the youngsters

Imo we should be playing everyone on our list with a view to seeing if they are good enough to keep on the list next season and beyond.

As an example, give Begley a few games to see if he is worth keeping on the list going forward.

Love your optimism Speedy and yes, they’ll always be a mathematical chance until they’re not but… the team are a shambles, bereft of confidence, playing with no conviction or system and racked by injury.

It’s better for me to not invest at this time ‘cause the disappointment (an all too familiar theme with this club) cuts deep. Dispassionately (outside of game day), I look at this club as I would another bottom 8 team and Essendon aren’t achieving anything this year. The last 4 weeks tell us so.

Just don’t want you getting your hopes up.

Just have two bottles of wine on standby for tomorrow night and you will get through it.

1 Like

Not for me I don’t want us making up the numbers by scrounging wins unless you finish top 4 I don’t see the point of playing finals imo

FARK THAT NOISE!!! EMBRACE THE TANK!!!

Careful Speedy. Some blitzers might lose all that money they proudly bet against us. Heaven forfend, we might get on a roll like 2018 as our matchwinners return from injury, and get ideas above our humble station!

3 Likes

Time to plan for next year, get the best pick we can. We have only beaten one decent side, the rest of our wins have been against sh*t sides

1 Like

I’m one of the biggest optimists you’ll ever meet - it took Essendon 15 years to convince me that we are irreparably ■■■■■■ and incapable of getting out of this hole without wholesale cultural change. I see no light at the end of the tunnel.

5 Likes

And that 2018 run which was awesome although we just missed finals it saw Shiel choose us

If we are lining up players (as we would be) getting belted tanking for remainder of year is not the way to go. The draft pick scenario as a reason is crap. Getting a difference of draft pick 4 places or so better is not worth it for a multitude of reasons.

Get the boys fighting for every minute of every game

5 Likes

Currently have pick 8

Getting a top 10 pick or flogging in an elimination final :thinking:

2 Likes

I couldn’t think of nothing better than getting another flogging while in lockdown…

1 Like

And any decent pessimist would tell you that the extra years are spent in a chair in a nursing home not knowing which way is up.

2 Likes