Classical music, opera, musicals etc

shame we lost the last thread! anyway, time to resurrect it.

Last weekend we were back at the Nova to see one of The Met "Winter Highlights" performances.  This one was 'La Traviata'.  Stunning modern take, with a very minimalistic set - basically a big light grey semi circle, with a vivid red couch in the middle, and a huge clock on one side. Was an excellent production.  We're trying to find time to see La Trav again in a couple of weeks at the Anthenaeum - Antoinette Halloran is singing Violetta.

Saw 'King Kong' today.  Wow.  The way they're created him - it's incredible.  Had some good singing and dancing as well, but I was just captivated at how they could make him so lifelike.  It was genuinely scary at times!

Coming up in the next couple of weeks, the MSO production of Verdi's 'Requiem', and then some ballet - Matthew Bourne's 'Sleeping Beauty'. Very much looking forward to both.

I am so envious at the moment, La Traviata is my favourite opera.
Never fails to give me goose bumps.
Koala, as the set was minimalistic, a question: How did they do the gypsy scene?

apart from a handful of characters, all of the other people on stage wore suits the whole time - men and women. They did change the set slightly for the scenes at the house in the country - a few extra couches, with floral covers.

here’s a couple of pics:
TraviataCCDetail.jpg
610394115001_799656218001_vs-79965237700

btw if you like La Trav, they have $55 tickets available, and the seats are still quite good!

Many thanks, Koala.
Would really love to go, but I have been in and of hospital all year, surgeon has advised me all year not to travel far, first it was til September, now late October, which ■■■■■■ me off greatly.
Thanks for the pics also, really nice.

I'll be seeing La Sylphide at the ballet this Wednesday, and Sleeping Beauty sometime in late September I think.  Also the Verdi Requiem.

Yesterday we went to the Melbourne Chamber Orchestra at the Recital Centre.  We started going a few years ago and it's a pleasant way to spend a Sunday: lunch at the Script Bar, then the concert at 2.30.  Yesterday it was Bach (a Brandenburg), Schubert and a Beethoven piano concerto.  The Schubert was a bit dull, but the other two were excellent.  The pianist was a tiny Asian woman called Aura Go, and despite her apparent daintiness she managed to belt some decent sound out of the piano -- we were sitting near the front and her forearms were very strong.

Shelton, are you subscribing to any of the MSO 2014 programs? I’m eyeing off the Master Series Thursday, there are some of my faves among the selection, but some of the others are tempting too!

Shelton, are you subscribing to any of the MSO 2014 programs? I'm eyeing off the Master Series Thursday, there are some of my faves among the selection, but some of the others are tempting too!

I don't know yet, Carla.  We usually go four of the operas, but we might switch to the MSO this year.  Or both.  Or neither.  I'll have to have a good look at the program.   It's also a matter for negotiation with my wife.

I'll be seeing La Sylphide at the ballet this Wednesday, and Sleeping Beauty sometime in late September I think.  Also the Verdi Requiem.

Yesterday we went to the Melbourne Chamber Orchestra at the Recital Centre.  We started going a few years ago and it's a pleasant way to spend a Sunday: lunch at the Script Bar, then the concert at 2.30.  Yesterday it was Bach (a Brandenburg), Schubert and a Beethoven piano concerto.  The Schubert was a bit dull, but the other two were excellent.  The pianist was a tiny Asian woman called Aura Go, and despite her apparent daintiness she managed to belt some decent sound out of the piano -- we were sitting near the front and her forearms were very strong.

Off to La Sylphide tonight. Then Cinderella in a couple of weeks.

My son (10y) and I love Motion Picture music.

He also loves Video Game music.

Obviously, it’s all orchestra music.

I notice that last year the MSO did a show on Video Game music.

Has anyone seen this ?

Or thoughts on the MSO in general, and the best venues to see them in ?

Thanks in advance…

Off to La Sylphide tonight. Then Cinderella in a couple of weeks.

A most enjoyable night. It was actually a double bill with Paquita and then  La Sylphide. 

Paquita was a single act that basically showcased classical dance. The male in the grand pas de deux was replaced by Chengwu Guo and Dodoro should get down there and sign him up. Strong core with a wonderful leap and yet oh so light on his feet. He barely made a sound when he landed. The grand pas de deux was the highlight of Paquita.

La Sylphide was excellent - I'd give it a 8.5/10.  Two acts and overall very tight and not too much fluff or slow bits.

The first act was the best with excellent dancing and acted with a nice level of humour in parts. The witch almost steals the show - they took on the character really well. The second act was fine despite being a bit slowish in parts for my liking, but finished on a high.

I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it.

Be interested to read Shelton's assessment.

Just got back from the ballet. Loved every minute of it.

Very light, very simple, but beautiful. Paquita has no story at all, it’s just a series of set pieces – ensembles, quartets, pairs, solos – all girls except for one male, who was excellent.

La Sylphide has a story but it’s so ridiculous it doesn’t bear thinking about – fairies, witches, and a scarf with a curse – but it was beautifully staged and danced.

There were quite a few empty seats, which is a pity. We were in T24 and T 25, and T1 to 23 were empty. At least it was easy to get out at interval.

I was able to make the La Sylphide storyline fit the Essendon saga, with AD as Madge.

Tuesday night looked to be quite full.

My son (10y) and I love Motion Picture music.
He also loves Video Game music.
Obviously, it’s all orchestra music.
I notice that last year the MSO did a show on Video Game music.
Has anyone seen this ?
Or thoughts on the MSO in general, and the best venues to see them in ?
Thanks in advance…

in terms of best venues, Hamer Hall is terrific, particularly since it was refurbished. Didn’t see the Video Game one, but they often have some quirky, different types of things.
If you go to the following page, it’s an easy way to see what’s coming up:
http://www.mso.com.au/whats-on/list
If you’re into the motion picture music, perhaps Fantastia might be an option, and definitely LOTR next year. Keep an eye on the POPS sessions too. And if you’re into Doctor Who, definitely go to the Doctor Who Symphonic - last year they had daleks, cybermen etc wandering around!
for others that might be interested, here are some of the subscriptions available for next year:
http://www.mso.com.au/subscription-series/?utm_source=mail2&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2014launch

ok so this is not strictly music or opera! but for those that are Alan Davies fans (of QI/Jonathan Creek fame) he’s returning to Australia next March, and doing a show at Hamer Hall on March 14. I saw him last time he was here, and he was hilarious!

Verdi Requiem tonight. Carla, if you haven’t yet been, then you are in for a treat. Totally fabulous in every way.

The stage was jam-packed with the full MSO and the four soloists – soprano, alto, tenor, bass – and behind and on both sides, above the stage itself, were the full MSO chorus, over 100 voices I would guess. It’s got everything: full volume playing and singing, some exquisite part singing for the soloists, solos, unaccompanied part singing, the lot. My favourite parts as always were when the soloists were singing together in duets or trios or a quartet, each one singing a different line, each line beautiful in itself, and blending together to make gorgeous harmonies.

I especially loved the soprano, an American woman called Amber Wagner. She has the sweetest face and she was totally into the music, listening to the others singing or playing their parts, with a smile crossing her face at each highlight in the music.

If anyone is thinking of going then do, and get the best tickets you can. It’s only an hour and a half, no interval, and you won’t regret it.

O, you fortunate residents of Melbourne!

cheers for the review Shelton, going tonight, looking forward to it even more now!

I’m going to see Empire, that Spiegelworld thing on Friday night. I’ve only heard good things.