Classical music, opera, musicals etc

It’s a toss up. You go to both with high expectations and even higher hopes, and you’re let down badly by both. The final is over sooner, but the seats are more comfortable at the opera.

3 Likes

My better half and I are fighting off virus symptoms at the moment so our enthusiasm levels for the drive from the Peninsula to the City to attend today’s MTC matinee performance of Kiss of the Spider Woman were low. Both a bit snappy on the way in but it turned out to be well worth the effort. It’s a hybrid musical drama and the entire company need to sing, dance and act. The reviews have been mildly positive but I thought it was terrific. Caroline O’Connor is the billboard attraction and typically delivers the show stopping tunes but the real lead, Ainsley Melham, who I’d never heard of, is simply fabulous, worth the price of the ticket alone. Mind you I prefer edgy musicals with an acidic aftertaste, but if the final ovation was anything to go by the rest of audience was similarly taken with the production.

1 Like

Another treat yesterday, this time “Sir Andrew’s Messiah”, ie Handel’s Messiah with additional orchestration by Sir Andrew Davis. Sir Andrew, for those who don’t know, had been Principal Conductor of the MSO for the last 5 or 7 years, and he’s been great. The orchestra obviously love him, and they play superbly under his leadership.

Everybody knows at least the Hallelujah Chorus from the Messiah, and last night it was an absolute show-stopper. But there’s a lot more to the Messiah than the Chorus. It’s a huge work. I counted yesterday approximately 120 singers in the Chorus; there were 4 soloists (soprano, alto, tenor, bass); and the orchestra was well over 100 musicians — that’s about 230 on stage at the same time, and I know they’re all dressed in formal black and white (except the female soloists), but if you think that’s not spectacular, think again. The solo singers were excellent, especially the soprano and the bass. The soprano was Siobhan Stagg, a local singer (born in Mildura) whom I first saw a few years ago at the Woodend Festival, where it was evident she was heading for higher things. She has a lovely pure voice with enough power to sing with a full orchestra — again for those who don’t know, classical singers sing unamplified. She’s sung at Covent Garden (which is as good as it gets) and is going back again. She’s based in Berlin with the German Opera.

So I’ve hit the jackpot recently with three standout shows in two weeks. I hope the run continues.

3 Likes

Sydney Symphony orchestra + Choir with N CAve W ellis

Did movie scores from the following

the Proposition

West of Memphis

The Road

Hell or High Water

Wind River

The assasination of jesse james by the coward robert Ford.

Cameo by the Principal soprano from opera australia

Julie Lea Goodwin.

Thoroughly enjoyable

2 Likes

My cousin was in The Proposition.
Had a bit of a song too.
True story.

1 Like

Had a lovely night last night at “Opera in the Market”, located at the Queen Vic Market. Featured performances by Greta Bradman and Chloe Harris, and was meant to be Andrew Goodwin but he was ill (there was a comment about his last concert in the Wuhan Province being a success!), so was replaced by Roy Best. Also had William Barton on the didgeridoo, members of Opera Scholars Australia, and were supported by Symphony Australis and the Opera in the Market Chorus. Conductor was Guy Noble.

They performed a range of pieces from various operas, some lovely classical pieces (including Gabriel’s Oboe featuring two sisters from the orchestra), and some more modern numbers, including You’ll Never Walk Alone, a version of Men at Work’s “Down Under”, and finishing with I Am Australian.

Guy Noble did a take on a Gilbert and Sullivan song from HMS Pinafore, “When I was a lad” with lyrics changed to mention topical events, including Scomo, Harry and Meghan, the Corona virus and the sports rorts. Was very well done!

Because of the change in tenors, the scheduled program was rejigged slightly, and oh what a shame, Roy ended up doing Nessun Dorma. sigh so beautiful!

All in a location that was not set up for acoustic events but, apart from a couple of small sound balance issues, ended up being a terrific venue.

Was my first time at this event which apparently has been going for 22 years! will definitely be heading back in the future :slight_smile:

2 Likes

anyone with Disney, it’s worth checking out the production of Hamilton. Amazing cast, great set and choreography. And edumacational as well!

4 Likes

I heard that Hamilton has a fairly loose grasp on real history.

have been waiting for years to watch a full version of the show with the original cast and cant recommend this film version enough.

1 Like

also the fact that Rory O’Malley stepped aside so Jonathan could come back for one night to play King George is utter brilliance.

As long term MTC subscribers we were a bit miffed with the 3 options offered for the now cancelled season. We didn’t want to tap into its diminishing cash reserves by taking a refund but we weren’t about to donate either. The only other advertised option was a credit on next year’s season but as a high risk family we aren’t willing to jump into a subscription for next year. We replied earlier today that we were interested in a credit but not if it expired after next year. They answered within the hour that the subscription credit was only available for next year but they were willing to send us an equivalent gift voucher with a 3 year life. Considering obtaining a refund would have been like extracting teeth and would take months this seemed like a good compromise. We said yes and they sent the voucher. Issue solved within a hour. Reckon they should advertise this option because plenty are going to ask for a straight up refund otherwise. In the unlikely event things clear later next year we have the option to see a few plays. If they go under we blow our money but such is life.

1 Like

thanks @wimmera1 for putting Pirates of Penzance into my brain! was rapt to find this version on youtube. Linda Ronstadt, Angela Lansbury, and Kevin Kline doing a wonderful Pirate King.

2 Likes

hahaha and then this, ummmmmm, “different” version! filmed at Werribee Mansion, the Great Ocean Road, and at the Polly Woodside. Gary McDonald as the Police Chief, and some overseas “stars”, Christopher Atkins (from “Blue Lagoon”) and Kristy McNichol (she was in a few US tv shows in the 70s/80s)

Went and saw Come From Away yesterday.

It’s based on a true event that occurred after the 9/11 terrorist attacks in 2001, when all air traffic was diverted from US skies. Thirty-eight planes containing some 6,700 people were grounded at Gander airport on the island of Newfoundland for five days, almost doubling the town’s population.

My wife wanted to see it and from the description I thought it would be a bit boring but Boy was I wrong.

Bought back a lot of memories as I was in the States at the time. Really tight choreography and just a really feel good story.

Just what I needed after Saturday nights debacle.

2 Likes

it’s fantastic :slight_smile:

I enjoyed it, no doubt.
But I know some people who’ve seen it that think it’s the best thing since a really good thing and it didn’t hit me like that at all.

I loved Potter.

I haven’t seen Come from Away, but I have seen Harry Potter.

I have no desire to see the former and have my heart warmed for several hours, and I regret spending a fortune on the latter. It may be great for the Potter fans, but as someone who has never read any of the books or seen any of the movies and just wanted to see a good show, it was really rather disappointing.

I certainly don’t see the point in anyone who’s not a fan seeing Potter.

Yes, it was a mistake, and a costly one.

Hamilton coming to Melbourne next year! excellent!! :star_struck: